MonsterSpawn2 Unreal and UT Mutator released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Crossposted in Unreal forum

MonsterSpawn is a Mutator designed to add just about any type of Monster to just about any type of Unreal 1 or Unreal Tournament type game.

Features include adding Modded Monsters or Standard Unreal Monsters. Monsters can be set to respawn after the amount of time you choose, starting a new wave of monster attacks. Up to 20 monsters at a time of your choice can be added to any map of a possible 60 random choices from 3 monster lists. Monsters always Spawn in random places. You make your own lists or comes with lists pre-configured.

Add monsters to CTF, Assault, DM type games, Co-op etc. Try holding onto that flag with a bunch of Skaarj chasing you down, or adding new or Extra monsters to co-op style game etc.

special thanks to Jackson and Jesse for their help in beta testing :)

Whats new in 2.00

Monsterspawn comes with its own version of the default monsters found in Unreal and UT.

New monsters will attack bots. Monsterspawn will replace any default ver of Unreal and UT's monster classes with its own version. This is to fix some of the bugs that the standard monsters come with and to allow monsters to attack bots.

Skaarjtrooper now has an automag as a weapon..So if spawned in UT will end up with an Enforcer. Otherwise if left with a dispersionpistol would end up with a impacthammer (Not a good swap).

Better Queen support, Monsterspawn's version of the Queen can teleport in any level.

Better Tentacle support, tentacles spawn on roofs or hover above.

All fixes from ver 1.01

available here
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/napali/

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I just tested it , and it is really great, especially now the bots are not safe anymore with the monsters only focused to me.
That is a very good work
icon14.gif

I found it so much fun that it is now added to the "enjoyable in sp" mod/mutie/tool list.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Asgard, I'm not sure you could do this but...

Maybe as an extra option. For co-op games, it'd be fun (for a change) if you'd respawn with the weapons you've picked up before you died, with minimum ammo.

If you'd set a high monster rate, this would be an ideal combination :O)

Zombie{DZ}

Living Dead
Jan 27, 2004
I added just such a feature to my Unreal1 COop server months ago. Basicaly rather then deleting your inventory after being killed it leaves it for the next time you respawn. However the way I implemented the feature it was done within the COop GameType's DiscardInventory function. I don't think there is a better way that can be done in a mutator instead. I suppose a mutator could attempt to catalog the inventory of players periodicaly and then inject the inventory back after death, but to me that sounds much more messy.

-Zombie

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
FieldMedic said:
I just tested it , and it is really great, especially now the bots are not safe anymore with the monsters only focused to me.
That is a very good work

Thanks .. Well call it monsters revenge. :)
Ive adopted this so any monster I make in the future will also attack bots

cheers

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
NeoNite said:
Asgard, I'm not sure you could do this but...

Maybe as an extra option. For co-op games, it'd be fun (for a change) if you'd respawn with the weapons you've picked up before you died, with minimum ammo.

If you'd set a high monster rate, this would be an ideal combination :O)

Yeah I could of added a lot of things but really I want to keep this mutator specific to spawning monster only. Rather than overcook it with a lot of options.. The advantage of mutators is that u can use more than one.

If I was to add weapons that come back after death it will also effect dm, ctf etc games.

Really id rather make this mute so it doesnt interfere with other game types or other mutators.

Its sole purpose is to add monsters, rather than change the game.

Ive got a few monsterpacks and some will be new models, so really monsterspawn is an addon for them.

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
NeoNite said:
Well ok I understand, in this case I'm glad I have Unreal arcade :O)

Well as far as I know Unreal arcade doesnt work in Unreal1, is limited to coop games only and cant spawn modded monsters.

Anyways you're lucky there enuff of us making mods so you have freedom of choice ;)

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Just a tiny update .. this should be the final for quite some time if not final version

Whats new in 2.01

Not a lot :) Monsters are set in their defaults with skill 3 rather than use Monsterspawn to set their skill higher it can be used to set it lower.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
For Asgard

I love the mod but I have an issue which makes it unusable for me but it sounds like the older version might work perfect. I run "Monster Hunt Mayhem". I have zero mapping experience and all of that admin technical stuff. I don't run bots on my server at all so I don't need the monsters to attack them. There are several maps where there are boss type monsters (extra large). With your mod, I've noticed that they become smaller and because your mod replaces the existing monsters, the area that can be damaged on default boss monsters has become so small that they nearly can't be killed. My best example of this is the map called Canyon. In it, there is a giant Ice Skaarj that must be killed to get to the final trigger to end the game. Normally because of his huge size, he is restricted to use only the arena space he first spawns in. With your mod running, he is still larger than normal but actually small enough to excape his arena area and he is very hard to kill now as I mentioned above. You actually have to shoot him in the knees to hurt him at all. I'm VERY VERY insterested in this mod and I feel it brings a great new flavor to Monster Hunt. Can you please post up your original version of this mod or make a version 2.01(B) with all different file names to avoid the file mismatch error? Please get in touch with me and let me know. Also, please read the last several postings of the Monster Hunt Map thread at the top of this forum. Many discrepencies are described there. I really want to have this ability to use extra monsters as your mod allows but I need it to NOT replace current default monsters. I tried removing the MS in front of all of the mosters but just got lots of Cave Mantas. HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Well Id rather go forward than send you an older ver :)

Ive added a fix so that any monster that are huge or tiny, Monsterspawns replacement will be the same size.

Also made it so monster replacement can be truned off in case theres something else I havent added. But I suggest you try leaving it on first and see how it goes.. (should be fine now)

Just overwrite your existing files.

Yeah I understand there might be some mismatches, but realy I dont think the mod is widely used so it shouldnt be a prob. Perhaps add a link or ver name to your server for a couple of weeks, or dont worry about it.

Once I've released jurassic it'll be included in that, and any future fixes will have ver 3 or 203 added or some such to the file names.

At this stage its the final ver and dont see a need to make any more changes.

anyways thanks for letting me know

cheers

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Whats new in 2.02

Added a collision check.. If the mapper changed the default Collision Size of any of the standard monsters, monsterspawn will alter its own monsters so theyre now the same size as the ones the mapper altered.

added configuration setting "AllowMonsterReplacement" which allows monsterspawn to be able to replace existing monsters with its own version. Default is true. Mainly this is so it can be turned off in case Ive forgotten or havent seen any other options the mapper may change in existing Monsters..

This value is best left as true

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Asgard Rules

That new version did the trick! I had to set the new option to false because it still made the monster bosses small and they would be halfway in the floor running around. I stopped the monster switching and all is great once again. The server packed up to about 13 players tonight. This mod on the monster hunt mod is FUN. Thank you very much for the new release and it didn't cause any file mismatch errors as far as I can tell. Later!

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Hermskii said:
That new version did the trick! I had to set the new option to false because it still made the monster bosses small and they would be halfway in the floor running around. I stopped the monster switching and all is great once again. The server packed up to about 13 players tonight. This mod on the monster hunt mod is FUN. Thank you very much for the new release and it didn't cause any file mismatch errors as far as I can tell. Later!

You're welcome. But Im not happy, it means i made a blooper on the collision check.. No matter I'll have a fix for it shortly. It might take a couple of weeks tho.
Im finishing off other mods aswell so thats why the delay. I have everything finishing at once :) For example I cant release jurassic untill monsterspawn is complete as jurassic will use it. Priority is going to another mod aswell which is close to finish (return to napali conversion) which also has new monsters that monsterspawn can add.

Anyways the next ver I make will have a 203 added to it so you wont have to worry about mismatch. Its annoying me :) so expect a fix.

cheers

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Cool

That's great sir. I don't mean for it to be a pain. MonsterHunt is the toughest mod to work around I have heard many times before. It is working for me the way it is right now so I'm in no rush and there weren't any file mismatch errors that I could see or hear about. Good luck with your other efforts and I will be looking forward to their completion. Later!

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Hermskii said:
That's great sir. I don't mean for it to be a pain. MonsterHunt is the toughest mod to work around I have heard many times before. It is working for me the way it is right now so I'm in no rush and there weren't any file mismatch errors that I could see or hear about. Good luck with your other efforts and I will be looking forward to their completion. Later!

Na you're not being as pain at all, its great to get some feedback and its appreciated. MonsterHunt wont be a problem. Btw do you know where I can d/load it and the map with the big skaarj?
I can add a tweak to the code which I believe will solve it but would like to test it before I release the next ver and see the method of spawing these monsters. The disabling of monster replacement will remain tho as I think its a good feature.

cheers

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I don't play Unreal that much anymore, it's most Oldskool UT.
... Ut really isn't a "young" game any longer.

For DM/CtF/As/Dom games it's just me and the bots, don't want any monsters running around. Because I don't care in Dm/ctf/as/dom etc games.
Played online before, got incredibly bored. Same maps, same models..

And Coopgames is my favourite gamemode. With monsterhunt.

Anyways, seeing you're so happy to make mutators for "teh crowd", what about creating one which makes the player die in "first person" view?

Yeah, I know when you get headshotted or gibbed it's first person. But I want it all the time :-I

Seriously, that "third person camera" switching on when you die.. you have no idea how fed up I'm with that. (Wish you could have disabled/enabled this, a feature in the game).

(in options menu..)

Hopefully I'm not alone on this.

So, what about it? Think you can manage this, Asgard? Maybe for both Unreal and UT?
°_° It'd be great if you could.

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
I don't play much either these days.. Modding seems to take up most of my playing time.

As for oldskool were making a rtnp conversion that will work in that, think its about 20 maps. Using rtnp maps but with a difference.. Perhaps finished early in the new year..(a lot depending on the beta testing i guess) its being made for Unreal1 but Ive made sure the coding will be fine to use in UT.
So I guess that gives a little more to coop games or SP...

Jurassic has nine new models, dunno if youve seen the beta, like or dislike. But have been told theres a few monsterhunt people intersted in them. These were also made for Unreal 1 but same again made UT compatiable.
I didnt want to spend time coding these and doing the sounds with no way of getting them into the game (which is why Im waiting on finishing monsterspawn) If a mapper adds them or another mute can do it, alls well and good, they'll be free to use..

After that Ive got perhaps several other monsters (new models to code) but this is a maybe, depending if the moddler finishes them and wants me to do them..

So Im kinda tied up for awhile :)

You could always request it in the coding forum tho.

cheers

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Canyon

Asgard, the map I mentioned is called "Canyon". The final boss is a Giant Ice Skaarj. Normally he is about 20ft tall and is too big to leave the arena that he first spawns in. He is see-through (ghostly) but is still easily seen as the color white.

With MonsterSpawn installed, he shrinks down to about 13ft tall and is then able to escape from the arena area and will run off somewhere else eventually like to the area between the 2 castles. With your mod installed he also becomes nearly totally transparent and is actually much harder to see. You have fixed the collision setting because now you can actually do damage to his upper body where before, you could only shoot him in the knees to do any damage.

This map "Canyon" is a standard map with the original MonsterHunt Mod. I have included a link to the original home page for the mod. Be sure to install the single file patch as well which is just a revised version of a .U file. Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else as you are one of our last hopes towards ever getting any good mods for MonsterHunt. Thanks too!

Here is the link to the original mod and patch file:

http://www.unreal2.co.za/mh/download.htm

Last edited: