Monster Per Player value

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

papaschtroumpf

May 21, 2004
I thought I read an explanation somewhere but I can;t find it anymore.
What does this setting do and how does it interract with the MaxMonsters setting in the wave setup?

Does it mutliply MaxMonsters by the value above and by the number of players to decide how many monsters are alive at one time?

also, can someone explain to me what the "difficulty setting" does exactly?

I want to hand tune the waves on my server, both to make them more interesting and to add monsters from the satore monster pack in a way that makes sense (currently the first wave spawns a bunch of Queens in the first wave, making it pretty hard, but you don't see them again until wave 7 or 10)

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
papaschtroumpf said:
I thought I read an explanation somewhere but I can;t find it anymore.
What does this setting do and how does it interract with the MaxMonsters setting in the wave setup?

Does it mutliply MaxMonsters by the value above and by the number of players to decide how many monsters are alive at one time?

also, can someone explain to me what the "difficulty setting" does exactly?

I want to hand tune the waves on my server, both to make them more interesting and to add monsters from the satore monster pack in a way that makes sense (currently the first wave spawns a bunch of Queens in the first wave, making it pretty hard, but you don't see them again until wave 7 or 10)

Max Monsters Per Player does exactly that - if you set the value to 3 and have 5 players, there will be a max of 15 monsters spawning at once. Unfortunately, vehicles also count as "players" so it's mandatory to take them into account too. (No, I don't know how to fix this, it seems to be native code)

Difficulty setting for the monsters defines how tough and intelligent they are. It'll affect the rate at which they move around, dodge, and possibly their health.

papaschtroumpf

May 21, 2004
Parser said:
Max Monsters Per Player does exactly that - if you set the value to 3 and have 5 players, there will be a max of 15 monsters spawning at once. Unfortunately, vehicles also count as "players" so it's mandatory to take them into account too. (No, I don't know how to fix this, it seems to be native code)

Difficulty setting for the monsters defines how tough and intelligent they are. It'll affect the rate at which they move around, dodge, and possibly their health.

I currently have Max Monsters per player set to 3 (according to the web admin interface) and and when I'm the only one on the server there are definitely more than 3 monsters at a time in the playing field (thank goodness). Is this because of the MaxMonsters setting from the retail invasion?

Also, as players die off, I assume that less and less monsters spawn? maybe I should make sure my vehicles get destroyed to reduce the number of monsters :)

Also where is this setting stored in the ini file?

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
papaschtroumpf said:
I currently have Max Monsters per player set to 3 (according to the web admin interface) and and when I'm the only one on the server there are definitely more than 3 monsters at a time in the playing field (thank goodness). Is this because of the MaxMonsters setting from the retail invasion?

Also, as players die off, I assume that less and less monsters spawn? maybe I should make sure my vehicles get destroyed to reduce the number of monsters :)

Also where is this setting stored in the ini file?

Yeah, each time a new wave is setup, it calculates it according to the number of players. What it means is that only 3 at a time spawn - you may well have more than that actually on the map if the others move out of the spawnpoints. :)

Currently, you should find a FHI.ini file in UT2004/System/ with MMPP=3 in it. Unfortunately, Epic's coders have excelled themselves once again, and custom .ini files are STILL written to the normal System folder. This has been fixed in v3. :)

papaschtroumpf

May 21, 2004
Parser said:
Yeah, each time a new wave is setup, it calculates it according to the number of players. What it means is that only 3 at a time spawn - you may well have more than that actually on the map if the others move out of the spawnpoints. :)

Currently, you should find a FHI.ini file in UT2004/System/ with MMPP=3 in it. Unfortunately, Epic's coders have excelled themselves once again, and custom .ini files are STILL written to the normal System folder. This has been fixed in v3. :)

Cool thanks, I had just found the FHI.ini in the mod directory but hadn't noticed it was also in the normal system folder.
I assume that if I want to customize my waves (to account for the satore monster pack), I should do so in the ut2004\System\FHI.ini one?

Do you by any chance understand how the system decides how many monsters of each class to spawn? I assume the distribution isn't uniform, i.e. is your wavemask is 2049 I wouldn't expect to have 50% of monsters being puppae and the other 50% being warlords (I haven't tried it so maybe it's the case).

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
papaschtroumpf said:
Cool thanks, I had just found the FHI.ini in the mod directory but hadn't noticed it was also in the normal system folder.
I assume that if I want to customize my waves (to account for the satore monster pack), I should do so in the ut2004\System\FHI.ini one?

Do you by any chance understand how the system decides how many monsters of each class to spawn? I assume the distribution isn't uniform, i.e. is your wavemask is 2049 I wouldn't expect to have 50% of monsters being puppae and the other 50% being warlords (I haven't tried it so maybe it's the case).

Yeah, stick with the one in ut2004/System until version 3. ;)

Yep, I understand how the system works. Basically, each monster has a unique mask, and as far as I can tell you add them together. Here's the original list, for example:

Code:
     WaveMonsters(0)=(mName="Pupae",Mask=1)
     WaveMonsters(1)=(mName="Razor Fly",Mask=2)
     WaveMonsters(2)=(mName="Manta",Mask=4)
     WaveMonsters(3)=(mName="Krall",Mask=8)
     WaveMonsters(4)=(mName="Elite Krall",Mask=16)
     WaveMonsters(5)=(mName="Gasbag",Mask=32)
     WaveMonsters(6)=(mName="Brute",Mask=64)
     WaveMonsters(7)=(mName="Skaarj",Mask=128)
     WaveMonsters(8)=(mName="Behemoth",Mask=256)
     WaveMonsters(9)=(mName="Ice Skaarj",Mask=512)
     WaveMonsters(10)=(mName="Fire Skaarj",Mask=1024)
     WaveMonsters(11)=(mName="Warlord",Mask=2048)
     WaveMonsters(12)=(mName="Pupae",Mask=4096)
     WaveMonsters(13)=(mName="Pupae",Mask=8192)
     WaveMonsters(14)=(mName="Razor Fly",Mask=16384)
     WaveMonsters(15)=(mName="Razor Fly",Mask=32768)

I hope that can shed some light on the subject. :)

papaschtroumpf

May 21, 2004
Parser said:
Yeah, stick with the one in ut2004/System until version 3. ;)

Yep, I understand how the system works. Basically, each monster has a unique mask, and as far as I can tell you add them together. Here's the original list, for example:

Code:
     WaveMonsters(0)=(mName="Pupae",Mask=1)
     WaveMonsters(1)=(mName="Razor Fly",Mask=2)
     WaveMonsters(2)=(mName="Manta",Mask=4)
     WaveMonsters(3)=(mName="Krall",Mask=8)
     WaveMonsters(4)=(mName="Elite Krall",Mask=16)
     WaveMonsters(5)=(mName="Gasbag",Mask=32)
     WaveMonsters(6)=(mName="Brute",Mask=64)
     WaveMonsters(7)=(mName="Skaarj",Mask=128)
     WaveMonsters(8)=(mName="Behemoth",Mask=256)
     WaveMonsters(9)=(mName="Ice Skaarj",Mask=512)
     WaveMonsters(10)=(mName="Fire Skaarj",Mask=1024)
     WaveMonsters(11)=(mName="Warlord",Mask=2048)
     WaveMonsters(12)=(mName="Pupae",Mask=4096)
     WaveMonsters(13)=(mName="Pupae",Mask=8192)
     WaveMonsters(14)=(mName="Razor Fly",Mask=16384)
     WaveMonsters(15)=(mName="Razor Fly",Mask=32768)

I hope that can shed some light on the subject. :)

Nope, that part I understood (sorry you had to type all that!), what I was asking is if you select 2 monster classes (2 bits set) such as a mask of 2049 (2048+1) you will get both puppae and warlords, but will there be as many puppae as warlords, or is the system somehow skewed assuming that higher numbered classes are more powerful and shouldn't spawn as often (for example 80% puppae and 20% warlords)

Edit: by the way the satore monster pack conveniently fills spots 12 through 15 with new monsters so there are no repeats, and that's partly why I asked the question originally. The Queen in the satore monster pack is not as powerful as a Warlord so I'd rather see more of them than warlords, and I'd hate to split the monsters evenly between puppae and Titans :eek:

Last edited: