1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Monday's Videos

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by GuntiNDDS, May 16, 2006.

1. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

To be honest, I don't want to hear/see too much otherwise by the time the game is out I will be dissappointed by nothing new (since Ive already seen it all in the 326 videos released before the game went gold.)

I am considering going on a ut2k7 hiatus until the game actually comes out (with occasional small visits).

2. Monster w/ 21 Faces

Monster w/ 21 Faces Dear Dumb Police Officers

Boy howdy! Yeah those multiplayer bots sure do require a hell of alot programming!

3. Gorzakk

Gorzakk Scorpion Powah!

I read more into it. We know nothing about how this thing is going to play. The fact they never had a working example, even a simple DM map, available for E3 does tell us something about their progress. All we are getting is pre-release hype, and we all know how accurate that is. :rolleyes: Anyone remember this? And to be honest even this hype is making me uneasy about what to expect. Hoverboards? "Objectives" in Onslaught? :mad:

4. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Um, yeah, what is your problem anyway? Polge has done the AI since the first Unreal. I've known the name since I've been playing Unreal, and I don't really keep my ear close to the ground.

Plus he's the lead designer on UT2007, but if you prefer more marketing from the bigger names, have it your way.

5. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Lol, before this quote I thought you were just an angry person.

Thankfully, I now know to ignore you. :lol:

6. Entr0p1cLqd

Entr0p1cLqd New Member

Bit late for that tbh.

So far the videos/interviews and stuff I've read all look and sound OK for something that's not finished yet. And from what I've seen and heard in the videos and interviews, they've got at least another 6-9 months worth of development and tweaking to get done.

7. os][ris

os][ris New Member

I dont htin it's a question of them not having enough content. In dec. i read an article where an Epic employee, can't remember who, said they've had the game playable for a year and that was SIX months ago. I highly doubt they've only been playin DM-Carbonfire for a year. I just think they are being very cautious with this title so they dont want ot divulge to much information early.

Also i think the main reason why they did not show a lot at e3 was because they did not want to take any attention away from GOW. GOW is a new franchise and i'm sure they want it to get off to a good start.

8. Monster w/ 21 Faces

No, what I prefer is lead design from people who have already proven themselves. After the disappointment of Unreal 2, UT2003 and UT2004 Epic cannot afford another Unreal failure. Why the hell do you think they're betting the farm on GoW?

Claiming that Polge has 'done the ai since the first unreal' isn't exactly something to scream and shout about, it's not as if Unreal was ever renowned for its AI. Now If you told me that he was responsible for say...Half-Life or F.E.A.Rs AI then yeah, that would be impressive.

Yeah because we all know that problems and opponents all go away when you stick your fingers in your ears and go lalalalala!

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  9. Vault

Vault New Member

Unreal WAS renowned for its AI

10. Monster w/ 21 Faces

No it wasn't. It was renowned for it's use of colour, large outdoor landscapes and gorgeous graphics.

11. Popomundo

Popomundo Popomundo

Monster: Just wondering, but if in your opinion there was "disappointment of Unreal 2, UT2003 and UT2004" and you don't like how UT2007 is coming out then why are you in this forum? Why waste your time on a series you don't like, discussing a future sequel you dont like the sound of? Am I the only one baffled by this? If this is what people should be doing then I shouldn't be here and should be in Final Fantasy forums. Am I doing something wrong?

In regards to how much of the game has been marketed so far, I think that like someone has said before Epic are being cautious on what the market because of all the hype so far. If I was marketing I would do the same. The mystery I think is adding to its intrigue and more people will become interested. It would be much better that a demo came out that was good instead of a demo with flaws in. If it has flaws it will put off people buying it.

Side note: When I got UT2004 it was my first Unreal game and one of the things everyone was raving about was it's AI. I personally don't think it is as good as many games that came out after it, but at its release I thought it wasn't too bad. Bit stupid on Onslaught though......come on fellow bots lets all charge out in a big crowd towards the tank, there cannot be any flaw to this plan.

12. Gorzakk

Gorzakk Scorpion Powah!

Let me tell you about Starcraft Ghost.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/2880889.html

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6028897.html

And now? Heading for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6118466.html

I know its a different game and company, but I am cynical enough to make inferences about this. I dont think UT2007 is anything like as complete as Epic would like people to believe. A small DM mock up level would have assured fans of the genre it was on its way and kept them interested. Why take an almost complete game to E3 without giving a demonstration? Either its playability is still woefully disappointing or its just not playable yet. I think a summer release for it during 2007 is realistic. Along with the inevitable slew of patches for the following months.

13. Monster w/ 21 Faces

Sorry I didn't know it was down to my personal tastes whether games succeeded or not in general. I'm sorry I didn't know it was down to me whether those games were economically viable products or not.

I never said I didn't like those games (although I didn't like U2), they were disappointments on a financial and fan scale, you just have to look at how many people are playing those games online to see that.

14. os][ris

os][ris New Member

15. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

It's had a "playable" version for what seems like forever (years) yet we have yet to see any actual game in stores.

In other words...playable doesn't necessarily mean the game is getting close to shipping.

16. os][ris

os][ris New Member

There are many possibilities as to why they did not show anything at e3. I think it's unfair to say that because they did not showing anything then lets assume the game is not playable. They've said the game is playable many times and they've held private viewings of the game. I think a more plausible reason as to why they did not show anything is partly due to GOW and partly due to the fact that some aspects of the game might change prior to release.

Also summer 2007 is way to far, at some point they will have to stop fiddling with it and just release the damn game. Wasn't it Jeff Morris that said the game will be out before the next e3? I'm still pushing for late 2006.

sorry for double posting.

Kharnellius: I'm not saying the game is close to done. I'm just saying they have more then we think they do.

17. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Im sure they do. I was just clarifying. TBH, I hope they keep only releasing snippets at a time. Heck don't tell us much at all.....itll keep us drooling for more.

18. Gorzakk

Gorzakk Scorpion Powah!

If they were capable of producing a working and fun mock up level of this game in action they would have done so. Showing what are obviously the most top notch graphics it could possibly produce on only the most monstrous PCs is what game companies do for concepts, not for projects that are anything like near completion. I suppose I just dont trust Epic anymore. Epic seriously messed up before. Unreal Championship 2: The Landri conflict is my most hated game (Read here and bad language warning).

19. nuttella

nuttella Scare

The Unreal AI has always been excellent (it wasn't the lighting that made Unreal fun to play), but that wasn't my point. Polge has been an important part of the dev team since the beginning, and he's the lead on UT2007, so who did you want them to interview? They got questions about the game answered by the most authoritative source on the matter, captured it on video, and gave it to us. I don't know what you're scoffing at.

20. Monster w/ 21 Faces

I don't want any interviews, we've had a year of interviews, I want to see some ****ing gameplay.