1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mods/Muties enjoyable in SP

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by FieldMedic, Jul 3, 2004.

1. FieldMedic

FieldMedic Less good UT Player ever

I played the first map , i agree it is really huge and it seems there is a lot of work behind (the number of locations are impressive in that single map)
    But because of those huge open space with no special eyes candies, i was not really interested while playing as i was in the other SP campaigns maps .

Maybe in coop mode, online it is fun, but not "the" must have in SP.

2. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Well, it's intended for co-op play :O)
    And yes, Drew did spend a lot of time on this map.

Edit: Why isn't it included yet? It's definitaly worth playing, these two maps!
    Just classify them in the SP section and mention its for coop play. Bit silly starting a new category.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. FieldMedic

No, fun for coop play does not mean fun for SP mod.
    And unfortunately, i don't think it is fun enough to be included in that list as i made this thread for the offline player in mind, not the coop team.

Feel free to create a thread if you want to focus on mods that are fun in multiplayer, coop or other gametypes, i will not create this category as i play online every 32th day of each month , i will not being able to check the fun level of such candidates :)

(and by the way a multiplayer focused thread could be interesting, as there are several people playing online, and mods fun in SP are not always fun in MP and vice versa)

I purged a bit the main post , deleting some mods i included previously because of some people suggestions, despite the fact i was not convinced at all by their fun enough factor when i played them.

After giving those mods another go, they are just not fun enough in SP to deserve being in that thread.

So, after some previous goodbye, this time it is goodbye to
    Pearman
    Jungle Warfare
    Sin2UT

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  4. NeoNite

Yeah, whatever.

Edith: Yes, maybe I will make such a thread. :OD

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  5. nuttella

nuttella Scare

No AKCoop2? I know it's a coop mutator, but it spices up any SP campaign quite nicely. In fact, in UT it only works properly in singleplayer.

6. Asgard

Asgard New Member

I can probably best answer this :)

Akcoop isnt a UT mutator, it was made for Unreal1 and was made for coop play only. I know some people have used it in UT but it wasnt designed for this and isnt fully compatiable (even with olskool running)

At one stage I thought to make a UT version, but that stopped when someone took it upon themselves (cardiologist) to edit akcoop without my permission, to suit themselves. Hence all the copywrite protection it now has.

The project was scrapped and a certain amount of protection was built into akcoop2 to avoid it happening again.

Anyways as its not a true UT mutator it doesnt even qualify :) thanks for the support however.

cheers

author of AKcoop

7. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Nevertheless...

It still works with UT in coop -- you just have to use another weapon mod, like allweapons, and take out the incompatible stuff in the .ini (e.g., no naligod). Configured properly, it runs without a hitch. (And I don't mean Card's hack.)

And if you install it in the UT folder, you can select AKCoop2 from the Oldskool SP mutators menu. I've only played "proper" AKCoop as a SP enhancement myself, in Unreal and UT.

I guess that's the great thing about this engine -- you can make a great mod for UT without even knowing it ;) As long as it works, it's as much a "true UT mutator" as anything else.

8. FieldMedic

I will test it when i will have more time.

9. NeoNite

I can imagine how fun it must be running into a deathhunter, or multiple ones, in Sp.

Load/save.. load/save... load/save..
    Skytown must be blast in sp.... yawn.

AkCoop, but ok...

Anyway, about Skaarjtower Shadow and fire.

It can be played in Single player mode, no problem!!!

Taken from the readme:

"Unreal Single Player or coop map, or Unreal Tournament Single Player or coop map"

"To Play in Unreal Tournament:
    From Menu Bar, select: Game, then select: New Single Player Game, then press the "Refresh" button.
    For the field that says "Map Pack", select (use the drop down arrow, then choose): Custom Maps.
    For the field that says "Map Name", select (use the drop down arrow, then choose): SkaarjTowerF.
    For the field that says "Skill Level", select (use the drop down arrow, then choose): Easy, Medium, Hard, or Unreal.
    Press the "Start" button to begin.
    "

"To play in single player mode on Unreal or Unreal Gold:
    From the Unreal start-up screen, press the "Tab" key and type:"

It's preferred to be played in co-op, but it works in SP.

For the offline player, and the online player. Both tastes. >_<

10. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Ah, but there's the beauty of SP - you don't have to worry about other idiots breaking barrels. I played through all of Unreal on Unreal difficulty without any saves. It was a blast from beginning to end, and it was not extraordinarily difficult outside of Dasa Mountain Pass (which is insane).

Remember, it's configurable. You can get rid of Deathhunters entirely, if you want to. The only modification I made to the defaults was to put Rebels in the Naligod (for a little more coop flavor), but you can pretty much make it as hard or easy as you like.

11. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Whoops! Sorry guys. I just realized that AKCoop does not function properly as a mutator for Oldskool singleplayer. The rose gun doesn't get swapped for the automag, you don't start with the SkaarjRazor, and monsters don't spawn carrying their weapons. It does work in UT -- however, you have to use a UnrealI gametype for it to all work correctly (little detail I completely forgot). So Asgard's right after all that it doesn't belong on this list. (Still lot's of fun, though.)

12. FieldMedic

Thanks nuttella for the precision.

Stay assured that i will not add the "modified" akcoop for UT you are talking about.

Neonite, just thanks for not reading my posts :/
    Yeah, whatever as you said yourself.

13. Asgard

Asgard New Member

Well the times weve disabled deathhunters at our servers people have complained. TNT the hoverbot and rebelskaarj are all counter measures against the deathhunter.
    I guess those that complained they were disabled wanted more of a challenge. Before I released this as a coop mod I played it thro many times solo. With no net lag, no cheating and having naligods placed thro the maps I found it easy. Killing deathunters with the skaarjrazor for example.

AKcoop wasnt meant to be a walthru and is really designed for vets. But even with this in mind is still a lot easier than CTF or DM if you come against a good player, who will be the equivelant as a deathhunter or better :)

Deathunters however nasty make good training.. Note instagib games..

14. Asgard

Asgard New Member

Thanks but I think I squashed it with the release of ver 2.

I might make a UT compatiable ver some time later (if people want it). At the moment Im snowed under (doing 3 mods at once) so I dont need an additional one. Perhaps Akcoop3..

cheers

15. NeoNite

But Asgard, I don't mind Deathhunters :O)
    I wouldn't want to face them in Single player games though... because, well .. you know.. ;-)

Especially in Skytown. It Akcoop this level ought to be renamed to "Deathhunter Haven".. or anything similar.

I can handle Akcoop(2) sure.

Even on highest skill.

16. jaf

jaf New Member

I dont see Weaponlord on the list.. :notworthy: :cheers: :crazydance:

17. nuttella

nuttella Scare

So NeoNite, this Unreal Arcade you've been touting -- Is there anywhere to download it? All I see is some screenshots on the UT-Lity site (which is mostly dead).

And Deathhunters are nothing in AkCoop2 SP. The toughest thing to deal with is Drones, who seem a lot more likely to telefrag you when you're alone.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  18. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Hmm, now I wonder if you are aware that all Cardiologist changed was the default Weapontypes for Evols, Samains and Gruels. He did not even change the weapons, but just set them to their Olweapons names. No code was added or changed, and all UT compatibility required was changing those fields(or you could have made Samain and Gruel weapons configurable like the Evol's). Changing three Default Properties fields doesn't seem like anything to scrap a project over, if you had something more involved planned for a UT version. I certainly hope you won't give up on the work of art that is AkCoop.

19. Asgard

Asgard New Member

Well what that means is that anyone with the correct version of AKcoop would get a mismatch and it may aswell be on the scrap heap. Sorry but I dont see that as a mild thing to do to someones mod. When would the editing stop? Anyway I dont want to keep going on about it, thats history.

I may bring out a UT version some time later (on the pile of things to do).
    Untill then were off topic :)

cheers

20. Asgard

Asgard New Member

Yep I know but.. Hint note the name akCOOP :lol:

cheers