1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Modelling] Recomendations?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Curve[UK], Aug 20, 2005.

1. Curve[UK]

Curve[UK] Twist Your Perception

Does any one here have any recomendations on what their favorite program to design player models is? Itching to get started now!

2. JohnnySix

JohnnySix Caffienated Haemoglobin

Milkshape! Only £20! Awesome for the price. I've made stuff for UT and 2k4 with minimum fuss- 2k4 is probably the easiest though, as it's a lot less work to get a working playermodel in the game, given that you can pretty much do all your importing of models and textures/sounds in Ued , no need for compiling scripts like UT.

3. cole_bie

cole_bie ^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  4. Curve[UK]

Hey look im being told what to do by a 04'er lol

Nice one sab

5. cole_bie

Well if you think join date means so much, then I would think that in 4 years of being here you would be able to use the search button by now, and besides I almost have as many posts as you anyways, so dont pretend to be all high and mighty.

6. Curve[UK]

Quiet young un lol

7. SuperApe

SuperApe Registered Monkey

I guess I'm in the minority.
    I'd suggest learning the free program that came with 2k4.
    Maya is a professional program that is much more powerful than Unreal needs.
    Even the PLE version can be daunting to learn, but will ultimately give you more options and a foundation that draws from a large community in 3D animation.
    The tutorials in PLE are good, online resources are plentiful.

8. Curve[UK]

I installed Maya simply because it game with the disc, im just looking now for some very basic character tutorials, how to start what i should be doing that sort of stuff.

9. SuperApe

SuperApe Registered Monkey

If you've never used a 3D animation or modeling program, I'd first suggest you browse the Help menu item.
    Take a look at "Things you can do with Maya...", "Learning Movies..." and "Tutorials".
    Once you're ready to begin your character, here's a decent tutorial from the Wiki:
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Maya_PLE_Character_Model_Tutorial
    And when you need help, try searching online, 3D animation forums, these forums, ... there's actually a lot of help already online. You're traveling down a well-worn path. ;)
    Good luck.

10. HarvesterUT

HarvesterUT beat me with a stick

I use Lightwave 8.0...been using it since 7.0 and I must say it is a very easy program to learn. you can tell Epic copied much of LW's layout, design, and look for UnrealED. not surprising since Epic used LW to model most of the stuff for 2003/04

11. cole_bie

Epic used 3ds max to make UT2003/4.