1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Modeling Question

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Fortran, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Fortran

Fortran Despite the name, I can't code.

What modeling programs do the pros use? I was thinking at trying my hand at making something, even though it would probably look nothing like what I wanted it to :) Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hourences

Hourences New Member

the real proffesional stuff is Maya and 3DSMax and a few others too, but those 2 are really used alot
    www.discreet.com for max and erm www.maya.com ? dunno have to check it somewhere far away

but it are prof. progs, so they have a huge price :) but warez can always help you out :)

3. Fortran

Fortran Despite the name, I can't code.

I guess I should ahve been a little more specific in what I was looking for. I don't know if such a thing exixts, but is there a good program for modeling weapons that is also free? I know I can't do player models, but maybe simple weapons. Thanks.

P.S. - Who is warez?

4. combitz

combitz Common sense is not that common

Maya are due to release a free version to use for educational purposes and discreet have G.max which is free to download with limits of file formats but they can both help you to see which is best and get you used to the interfaces. Hell try them they are free. I think maya is released about april.:)

5. Hourences

Hourences New Member

those free version are real good indeed for learning the interfaces, the way of working that kinda stuff, but unfortunally they dont support many formats, so you can prolly only save in 1 format wich really limits your ways of making a own weapon and then actually getting it in a game

you could try milkshape though, its really simple, much less options then max and maya, and free, or shareware at least, but forgot site :\

6. Cieprus

Cieprus Mapper...In Progress

Milkshape Is really simple..It costs money...But again Warez can help you out ;)

3d Studio Max 4.0 goes for something like $3,500...I read that in a magazine...Dunno if its correct..

I dont know much about Maya... But I hear it is really good...Just D/L Morpheous and download one...

P.S. Spyware Suxs :mad:

7. Brood_of_Evil

Brood_of_Evil Selene's martyr

Yeah 3ds max 4 is that expensive, I have a version of maya (don't remember which one though) that it only works with windows NT, I intalled it on Win XP, but it gave me some problems, so, I'm sticking with 3d Studio Max 4, if you can get a copy, please do so, I recomend it.

8. Cieprus

Cieprus Mapper...In Progress

i got myself a copy of 3DSM 4 once...Its the most complicated program Ive ever seen in my life...But def the best out there IMHO.

9. LP

LP *wants to be your friend*

complicated yes, but it is superb program, i made an Mp5 (to a reasonable standard) in a week of having the program, so i guess its pretty easy to work with once u learn the basic concepts, and what most of the common buttons do.
    Although i had problems with it loading correctly, with it appearing in the End Task menu, but not actually opening. oh well

10. Voodoo_180

Voodoo_180 n0b

I use Milkshape which, while simple, is easily enough for weapons. MAX is used for doing complex scenes more by the pros, like Toy Story and Monsters, Inc. and those animated films, and in my opinion is very complicated, a bit too complicated when you have milkshape which is really simple and easy to use, and you can do all you need for weapons, modelling, skinning and animating, and it even writes (most of) the uc file when you export it! Only downer with Milkshape is you cant do renders, but that dpesn't really mater as the only reason you want it is for in-game images. In fact thats the only bit if MAX I managed to work until it cocked up, how to make renders!