Modeling info/Sites help/info needed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

F-c-M

Hello!

I need to find some sites on the net with info n modeling for Unreal/Unreal Tourney

such as poly counts / program importers/exporters .. what kind of animation techniques are used and what animations are needed etc..

any info would be greatly appreciated.
bdoyle@cgocable.net

------------------
F-c-M
Until the a.m
Unity/Respect
Frolic Hard!

Aridale N. Belmont

Nov 9, 1999
www.hexenworld.com
I cant be of much help but oh well right? Naturally the poly count should stay low but I dont think Unreal has a self imposed max. As for the animations you need any animation your mdl will need to work. Its up to you. Import/Export is done with a program called 3ds2Unr or a plug in for Max that uses Max's animation tools to export what Unreal needs to use your mdl. If you have MAX get the plug in it'll save ya time. If not you have to export every frame of the animations in .3ds format. Thats bout all the help I can give ya. Check the hosted sites and you'll find more thats how I learned what I know about it.

bullet2.gif

Ari

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
The average poly count for a monster seems to hover around 250-300. Even the big guy (titan) is only about 270.

Some of the smaller guys weigh in at only 100.

Obviously everything else is done to where it looks like what it needs to and is then textured very nicely. So the average for decorations isn't much more then 100.

F-c-M

What? the monsters are only 350?.. wtf is that!
heheh Halflife's can climb to 800 and be fine..

I cant imagine the monsters/characters in unreal tournaments only being 350.. thats crazy low.. thats like a Vweap weapon in halflife..

hmm
is unreal's capabilities really that low end?..
sad

maybe i'll just stick to halflife modeling /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

can anyone confirm that ridiculously low poly count?

bullet2.gif

F-c-M
Until the a.m
Unity/Respect
Frolic Hard!

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Ok, so I got my poly count by physically looking at them through the Unreal game and typing in "stat mesh". Apparently it culls backfaces unlike Q2 and HL.

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Go to nervedamage.com which is the site un by Dave Carter, lead animator for Epic. He has all the utilities links, and info you need. The polys counts are higher, but if you are running the newer code you are likely bumping into the LOD code, etc. Also remember that there are differeent versions of the models for weapons depending on whether they are first person, pickups, etc.

In UT there are 700 plus frames of animation but there are far fewer in Unreal. As far as I know there is no list of the animations posted fo UT. You can compile your own though, by using the mesh viewer in UnrealED and examining the class code to see what is used where.