UE4 - General Modding config files

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kronzky

Dec 18, 2021
I'm trying to overwrite some config entries in the game Ready or Not (Unreal 4.27.1.0).

The game contains two PAKs (pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor.pak & pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor_0_P.pak), both of which contain the file I'm modifying.

Right now I'm using QuickBMS to unpack pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor_0_P.pak, edit the respective file, and then repack it (with QuickBMS). Everything works just fine; the problem is, this is a pain to distribute.

When I'm trying to pack the file/folders with UnrealPak.exe the resulting structure seems to be fine (I unpacked it again, to check), but the changes are never applied in-game. If I put some modded textures into the same PAK, then they are applied, but my config changes are ignored.
(My mod PAK is named pakchunk99-Mods_AI.pak, so it should load after the default ones.)

Is there something special about modding config files? Can they not be overwritten, or what am I missing here?