1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Mod]UT2003 Troopers

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by hal, Nov 30, 2003.

?

[Mod]UT2003 Troopers

1. 10 - Ownage!

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 9 - Superior

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8 - Great

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. 7 - Very Good

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. 6 - Good

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. 5 - It doesn't suck

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. 4 - Meh

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. 3 - Ouch

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  9. 2 - Avoid

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  10. 1 - Baleted!

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Info: http://www.ut2003troopers.com/

Download: http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333290

2. MachDelta

MachDelta Haphazard Nobody

Ok now this is really baffling. Half of the votes are below 50%, and the other half are above.
    Huh? Whats wrong with Troopers? I understand it may not be everyones cup o' tea, and that it still has a lot of work to be done on it... but I don't understand how anyone (muchless two people, ATM), can rate it a 2! Especially when you compare it to the Air Buccaneers poll, which is all above the halfway point (and rightly so). Now not to knock AB, but I think that Troopers is done much better technically. They've really done an amazing job of capturing the Star Wars universe. The models are great, the sound and music is BANG on, and overall the game is very polished and well written. Hell, name another mod that has a fully configurable HUD!
    So whats with the ratings? Do some people have a grudge against Troopers or what? Like c'mon, its Star Wars! We're geeks! We should be eating this stuff up! :lol:

I just don't get it though. IMO Troopers is well deserving of marks right around the 7-9 area. Someone mind explaining to me what the deal is behind the low marks? :confused:

3. ExiT

ExiT hella lurker

If this was a rating on how much energy and time was spent on making the mod, troopers would probably rate a lot higher. But there is more to a mod than having nice looking models and music.

The center of any mod (or game for that matter) is the gameplay, and troopers delivers gameplay that isn't really appealing: slow, repetetive action, weak weapon selection, lackluster maps, and lacking in overall play smoothness.

4. eXoR

eXoR Lead coder

Thanks for your comments ExiT. We need information from people who dislike the mod to help make it better. The weak weapon selection is a clear point that we can tackle. The slow, repetitive action, lackluster maps and lack of overall play smoothness are hard for us developers to judge, though. Could you perhaps reformulate these points in clear suggestions for us to follow? That would really help us make the mod better. Thanks!

5. Thrawn70

Thrawn70 Hang-around

I agree. The graphics and feel are spot-on, but the gameplay is still kinda weak. I think having selectable weapon loadouts would help with the lack of weapons; maybe make the pistols for the Rebel Alliance more on-par with that of the autofiring E11. I also want to see more well-planned objective maps, because I think that's what makes Troopers appealing; the ability to play through epic battles, like the Endor invasion. However, on the Endor map, the defenders spawn too close to the objectives, making Thermal Detonators the only real way to clear a room, even if your next objective is 3 or 4 rooms away. When the gameplay gets there, the community (hopefully) will snatch it up.

6. MadNad

MadNad New Member

Thanks for the feedback... however goood or bad, its all helpful.

We are reworking the Endor obj map, and plan to focus our attention on objective style maps. As exor stated, we are hoping to address the ammo selection issues as well.

Currently, most agree that troopers is far more fun online or on a lan with humans. If you have only experienced Troopers offline, then i urge you guys to get together and give it a shot online. Even with a ping of 225+, its far more enjoyable. Working together and using all the comms..etc just really makes it feel more like star wars.

Need to find some guys to play with... head on to the troopers irc channel and round us up.

IRC
    Server: Gamesnet.net
    Channel: #ut2003Troopers

cheers.

7. MachDelta

MachDelta Haphazard Nobody

The stuff I love is straight from the movies. Hallway fights with crisscrossing blaster fire and whatnot. I luvs dat! :D

Though the gametypes thing is a valid point I guess. I'm not a big fan of TDM or even troopers CTF, even though I like the mod. (Somehow I don't think Luke or the Emperor would care much about two measly flags :p) Objective is kinda cool, but since its two sided and static, it still has the same Defend/Attack-one-point feel as a CTF game. Maybe something like Assault or Area Domination (think RO style, not UT) would work? Assault would be pretty interesting IMO (though thats a fair sized project, pre-04 anyways), and possibly evoke even more movie-esque feelings :D
    Just a thought or two anyways. :)

8. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Just remember this is a work in progress. The original Apocalypse Weapons was such a horrible weapons mutator that ModSquad actually gave it a 0! But it improved dramatically with new versions and is one of the more highly rated mutators in their library.

I imagine since Troopers has the graphics and sound nailed, they could use all the input on gameplay that you all care to throw at them.

9. Prophetus

Prophetus Old Fart

A weapon load out would make Troopers more fun. At the same time, maybe an armor or classed base load out as well. To me, Star Wars is all about classes. Although I don't want Troopers to become an RPG style action game, allowing users to preconfigure their weapons, or even configure their weapons at certain stations might help this mod.