1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[mobo]When the OS starts to boot I get an error my my BIOS is not ACPI compliant

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by BillyBadAss, Apr 15, 2006.

1. BillyBadAss

BillyBadAss Strong Cock of The North

So as many of you know I just build a new PC. I got the A8N32-SLI DELUXE motherboard. Now when running the install for windows after(what seems like, but I am not sure) it's been on for a few mins say after formating the drive, and it reboots, I get an error "Windows has detected that your BIOS is not ACPI compliant. It then gives the hex error:

0x000000A5 (0X00000002, 0X89427A60, 0XE12A7668, 0X893EF1A8)

Now if I power it off and let it cool down for a few mins and try again, it seems to get past it about 50% of the time maybe more, but if I just power it off and boot up again it seems to go back to that error.

I flashed the BIOS and put on the latest version, but this didn't seem to help. I still get the same error. I checked in BIOS and ACPI is enabled. I also tried disabling it and I received the same error. So I have enabled it again just because that was the default.

I am starting to wonder if it is just Windows being stupid, and after getting Service Pack 2 install it might fix it, but I don't know. Anyone else ever have this problem? I called Tech Support, and they said it sounded like a corrupt BIOS, and told me to flash it so I did, but they are asshats and really didn't seem to know what they were talking about. Any help would be great.

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Does your motherboard have an option for IOAPIC? If so, try disabling it, just to see if it helps. From what I understand, this sometimes conflicts with ACPI in single processor systems.

3. BillyBadAss

I have a dual core CPU. Does that make any difference?

4. BillyBadAss

After looking I didn't see that option, so I am guessing it doesn't.

5. BillyBadAss

I think I found a fix here.

6. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

You really, really, really should be installing windows WITH SP2 integrated right from the get go. If you don't have a copy, you need to slipstream it.
    Use nlite, or autostreamerXP.

AMD's forums have the best dual core install guide I've seen. Read it before you do anything else. I found it to be most helpful:
    http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=64936

7. Sir_Brizz

Also, don't disable ACPI no matter what people tll you. Otherwise, you will not have the automatic turn off and several other important features (meaning to turn off your computer you would have to push the button every time).

8. BillyBadAss

That fixed that error, but now I get the error message after Windows XP just about finished installing that says:

Page_Fault_In_NonPaged_Area

Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE11D26AB, 0X00000000, 0X805C5F18, 0X00000001)

Any ideas? I am going to try reinstalling Windows again. This is the worst luck I have ever had with a PC.

I am starting to wonder if I am having RAM issues.

9. BillyBadAss

Ok I made a bootable CD so I could run Memtest86, and everything was fine until I got to Test 6. Once it started running I got tons of errors. I am not sure even after reading the details of what Test 6 is testing to what exactly has failed. Is it testing RAM, or did the cache on my CPU fail? The description as of what is posted on the Metest86 site is as follows:

Can somebody please tell me what it was testing?

10. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Memtest86 tests exactly that. Check your memory timings in the BIOS, and run Memtest on each memory stick individually.

11. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

what memory do you have?? Did you load factory default settings after the BIOS flash??

12. BillyBadAss

Here is what I have:

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

I didn't change anything after flashing my BIOS except disabling onboard sound. All the settings for RAM are set to auto configure.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  13. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

I would open up the a64tweaker and compare the memory timings to what is listed on the Corsair page for those sticks and see if you can find any discrepancies, record them and then correct the timings in the BIOS from their 'auto' setting. Be sure to extract the a64tweaker to a known location then run from there and hit the refresh button when it opens. Wrong memory timing/voltages can cause all kinds of problems including OS install issues, BSOD`s, reboots, memory dump issues, game crashing etc.

14. Sir_Brizz

Sounds like a bad stick of RAM, if not both, though.

15. ZenPirate

Put the timings your ram is rated at in manually. Some nforce4 mobos have problems reading ram at what it's rated for.

16. BillyBadAss

I set the voltage to 2.75, but I can't see where I can changing the timing to 2-3-3-6. I think I found the area, but what are the names of the things I am changing? Yeah I know I'm a noob.:eek:

EDIT:

I took a picture of what I am looking at, so maybe we can get on the same page.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  17. BillyBadAss

Ok so I went and set my RAM to be 2-3-3-6, and to use 2.75 volts. Now I am getting errors in Test 4 now. Test 6 errors are still there as well. Below I posted my config, and then the errors in Memtest while it was in Test 4.

Attached Files:

18. ZenPirate

I'd guess you have bad, or incompatable ram. Can you send it back andswap it for some GSkill, or OCZ?

19. BillyBadAss

Yeah it's got a lifetime warranty. I also tested each stick by itself, and I got errors too. Do you still think it's the RAM, or could the mobo or CPU be causing this?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  20. Sir_Brizz

Potentially it could be the motherboard, but usually you will get errors in more of the early tests in that case. The best thing to try would be to RMA the RAM, see if it works and anil down that it is either the CPU or Mobo... you could also test that theory with someone else's RAM (or by putting your RAM in someone else's machine and running memtest86).