Miyazaki influences?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
(Woot! First non-dev new thread! :D )

I was just wondering... from a lot of the screenshots and character/creature designs, it looks as though Eon is fairly heavily inspired by a lot of the works of Hayao Miyazaki (Princess Mononoke in particular.) True, or coincidence?

Samurai

Corona Leonis Entertainment
You say "a lot of the screenshots and character/creature designs", but you really mean the deer don't you? Yes, we've gotten a few comments comparing him to Yakul, Ashi taka's friend and faithful steed from the movie in question.

All I can say in response is that we're flattered by being compared to Hayao Miyazaki, one of the greatest creative minds in this century, but certainly we can't be accused of borrowing from him any more than we could be accused of borrowing from Lawrence of Arabia if we used horses instead. In fact, my first encounter with a character riding a deer instead of a horse was in a Frank Frazetta painting entitled Tarzan and the Ant Men painted in 1972. I was also quite influenced by an Author named Clara May Allen who wrote a book called "the valley of the caribou pipers" in which children rode on the back of caribou.

While Hayao Miyazaki gave you Yakul to delight in watching, we give you something that you can actually ride for yourself. As wonderful as passively enjoying Yakul was, I think trying to compare an interactive version to it is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are great, but they're very different things fundamentally speaking.

Last edited:

Lise

Mar 16, 2004
When I said "a lot", I meant a lot - not only the deer, but the uniforms, the (presumably untextured) rifles and the armor on the soldiers all strike me as being quite similar to designs Miyazaki used, particularly in Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. Also, the architecture has a slightly "oriental" bent to it, in my eyes; even the beasts seem like something Miyazaki would dream up to embody the anger of nature. Indeed, one of the central themes of your game, man vs. nature, is one that Miyazaki uses often in his works.

And really, you dodged my question. Were you inspired by Miyazaki's work at all or not? (Keep in mind that wouldn't be a bad thing; anime/manga inspiration is already spreading in the UT mod community.)

Samurai

Corona Leonis Entertainment
Oh, yes, absoulutely. Hayao Miyazaki is one of my heroes.

But, apart from being an admirer, I can't say that anything in our art or designs references him at all.

Either way, if you go into playing this game believing it to be a completely original work or something that somehow embodies some of the spirit of Miyazaki, so be it. We're happy with it if you are.

Lise

Mar 16, 2004
Hey, once again, I'm not trying to insult you guys in the slightest - I've been toying with the idea of using the Nausicaa world for a UT2K4 mod myself for some time now. You guys, however, have the power to make it work and feel right. I'll be following Eon really closely.