Missing Music pieces

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Ok, normally I should not care for it - I dont map for ut3.. well not yet at least, but anywise I have this certain desire to start this thread:

I think the most of the mappers know those A_Music_[name].upk files and what kind of tracks can be found there. Ok, honestly, this sounds now a little bit stupid, I hope the following explanation will clarify what I mean.

Whatever, those music "archives" can be splitted into three groups:

Full packages with tracks for Deathmatch (DM Mix and Ambient) like RomNecris01 and for the other gametypes (suspense theme, action theme, victory theme and how they are all called)

The fewest ones (e.g. ROMUT02-BioHazard or RomAsia01-RisingSun) contain only an Ambient Track and of course the DM mix. Those tracks are not used from Epic mappers beyond Deathmatch - in the retail maps !! (some of the Titan Pack DM maps are an other story)

The most music "archives" (e.g. ROMUT06) contain only those small music pieces for CTF, VCTF and WAR - like I said with suspense theme and so on.
Although a DM Mix version is missing, it does not "prevent" mappers to use those tracks for DM instead only use those music which is really "suitable" for DM. This means very often short action tracks from a length of maybe one minute at best.

The only expection seems to be Foregone Destruction. Was it handed into the first bonuspack or was it installed already with the ut3 installation? I dont know it. From what I saw there during looking in the editor this music-set contains much more tracks then any other music-set available as level music for mapping. Even a DM Mix Track is inside (I think the most did not note that so far). Very strange, this package seems to be forgotten by epic during "clearing the packages from stuff which THEY didn`t use for any map". In the case of static meshes and materials maybe not that bad, but for the music I think it was not the best decision by the epic boys.

Definitely all those music-packages were at the beginning supposed to be useable for all gametypes, but I guess because for lack of space, unused music staff was cut during the development or during one of the last "checks" near the end.

If you still have the ut3 alpha mp3s on your HDD, take a look in this directory.
What can be found there?
02_ONS01Mix, the DM Mix of ONS01? ... ok that's open to dispute, it was maybe only included as full hearable musictrack "demo" of ONS01. Whatever, a DM Mix of ONS01 is not included into the game.

What else could be notable... 13_GoDown_SuspenseTheme, a suspense Theme of GoDown. A track which hasn`t anything to do with DM (where you only normally need the DM Mix and an Ambient version).
Remember, GoDown is used in the Epic Games (this also includes the maps of the titan pack) in the well known DM Map Deck only. Nowhere else.

In terms of music variation and in the freedom of choice of music for a custom map I regret this cut from epic because for reasons which I noted some lines above this sentence.

For the cases you have the UT3 OST Discs:
e.g. Firestorm from Disc 1...ROM UT06 DM Mix...
or Defector... ROM UT07 DM Mix.
or Sanktuary from Disc 2... RomNecris02 DM Mix.. or better suitable DM tracks for custom arrangements.

Final Note:
Ocean Relic, Koos Barge and Darkmatch are using music of sets which don`t contain DM mixes. But it does not matter, because those 3 maps are so full with ambient sounds that you don`t mostly hear the actual music.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Foregone Remix appeared in the first BP.

Anyway I noticed this. You can only hear the rest of the complete mixes in the OST. I wanted so much a Lockdown one though, it would have contained another piece since the one in the OST seemed like that it would continue much more.

The Frozen Babylon mix in the game is longer compared to the one in the OST. For complete mixes of the music in Strident and Coret (plus another unused track), check the Kevin Riepl's website.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Yearh, Lockdown is also included into the OST, I know. But sadly one of the tracks whichs fades out in the last seconds, damn^^

@FrozenBabylon: A little bit different as the Gateway DM Mix. But both of them are great, I would rather say the FrozenBabylon version is slightly better.

@Strident/Riepl: Meh.. bad. Not very creative from Riepl just to add the single segments together. KR_UT3_Strident is not anywise useable. Otherwise It would really sound stupid.

It would be really a fair deal from epic if they would have delivered the full packages of music onto the disc. :/