Misc small question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chand

Feb 16, 2000
LR, AR, US
www.planetchandler.com
Hey *.*...

Just a quickie... anyone knows (please respond in UEd layman terms /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) how to make metal surfaces 'sound' like metal surfaces ?

Ex., the catwalks in my map, yah, they look nice but when you walk or run over them the steps still sound like when walking over everything else.

There IS a sound of metal-walking in one of my .uax but I don't know how to apply it to the metal surfaces..and I don't even think I'm on the right track.

Somebody help please ! D'oh... don't you hate it when you're a newbie ? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
This is your brain...
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON INF... (bold /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

RaekwoN

Infiltration Level Designer
Aug 5, 1999
Melbourne, Australia
Beppo is working on it... should (use this word cause I don't want to make any absolute promises) be included in version 3.

The feature will also apply to rounds where the surface's material (e.g rock) will be a factor in wether or not it penetrates the wall.

------------------
RaekwoN

Visit RaekwoN Maps

RaekwoN

Aug 5, 1999
Melbourne, Australia
Beppo is working on it... should (use this word cause I don't want to make any absolute promises) be included in version 3.

The feature will also apply to rounds where the surface's material (e.g rock) will be a factor in wether or not it penetrates the wall.

------------------
RaekwoN

Visit RaekwoN Maps

Sylvester

Dec 6, 1999
Leuven / Belgium
Visit site
It would be nice if this feature is fully implemented because IMHO those footstepsounds add a lot to the atmosphere of a map. It's nice to hear the snow cracking under your feet, hollow steps when you enter a big room...

I've just tought of something...
Maybe it would be nice if mappers put more triggers in the game that make a sound when you stem on them, in outdoor maps you could make triggers that let hear the sound of a cracking branch that is lying on the ground, this could give away your position and add's realism.
On a stair, you could make a squeeking step so others are informed that someone is on the stair.
Of course when someone knows the map, he could evade those triggers, but hey that is real to... never secretly escaped your home to go party without your parents knowing? I bet you'll didn't step on the squeeking step because you know it's there.

I think it should be done by more mappers...it's not only the look that makes a map "real", the sounds and smell(well you can't help that) help allot!

Sylvester out...

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Chand:

In the current UED world, the only thing that exists like that I know of is Zones like water. They have enter/exit sounds. But applying something like that to a metal surface might be tricky. You might be able to spread a thin zone over it, not sure at all on that one.

Evil Joe

I Will Kill You
Feb 13, 2000
ugh... don't forget that you can make special event triggers play ambient sounds and that you can have triggers trigger them when a player enters that collision radius... so the squeeky steps and branches breaking is not only possible but extremely easy to implement. The majority of "mappers" out there are too lazy to learn about this stuff...

Sylvester

Dec 6, 1999
Leuven / Belgium
Visit site
Yeah...those triggers are real easy to use once you know how they work and it is REAL WORTH it to use them because you can do some neat stuff with them.

I hate to see an elevator in a realworld map that is activated when you step on it...triggers can solve this!

Suppose you want land mines in your map...triggers can solve this!

Suppose you want to have lights that can be switched on/off... triggers can solve this!

And many many more...

To all the mappers out there, learn to use triggers!
You can find some great tutorials, just go to the mapping area of the realworld site.

Sylvester out...

-------------------------------
To all the mappers out there...
Triggers rule!!