1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mirror's Edge

Discussion in 'Games' started by Enfluence, May 16, 2008.

1. Enfluence

Enfluence I kinda like UT3.

Mirror's Edge is an upcoming first-person action-adventure video game that is being developed by EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE) for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Windows-based PCs.[2] The game will be released on these platforms simultaneously in late 2008.[3]

The game was announced by Electronic Arts on July 10, 2007 and will be powered by the Unreal Engine 3 with the addition of a new lighting solution, developed by DICE. The game has a realistic, brightly-coloured style and differs from other first-person perspective video games in allowing for a wider range of actions—such as sliding under barriers, tumbling, wall-running, and shimmying across ledges—and greater freedom of movement, in having no HUD, and in allowing the legs, arms, and torso of the character to be visible on-screen.

The game is set in a conformist dystopia in which communication is heavily monitored by a totalitarian regime, and so a network of runners, including the main character, Faith, are used to transmit messages while evading government surveillance.

Source Wikipedia (lol)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33586.html

Looks amazing..I didn't think UE3 could be like that.

2. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Already posted on the news page a while back.

3. Enfluence

Enfluence I kinda like UT3.

Damn. My mistake, sorry.

4. Lungri

Lungri New Member

It's a really clean future for the kind of problems they're supposed to be having. Also I always wanted to see an FPS with more mobility, but not like this. This one is looking a lot like Breakdown...they didn't go nearly far enough with it, and the things you can jump from glowing red is annoyingly context sensitive, and because it's 'realistic' the movement looks sort of heavy, and the levels have to all have some overly convenient little thing to get you around. They could have given you greater mobility, then they'd be able to make the levels a little more natural and interesting, not like some platformer that always points the direction out to you.

5. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Haven't played or even seen breakdown but I agree with what you're saying, the maps look really linear for the supposed amount of mobility they give you so it's basically like you're on a parkour rollar coaster instead of getting the actual freedom that type of mobility is supposed to give you. :shake:

Though it still looks fun and I'm looking forward to it.

6. Dromae

Dromae New Member

Still, the thing that really get me is that YOU ACTUALLY GET TO SEE YOUR ARMS AND LEGS!!!!!

*shock horror gasp!*

Read some reviews on it and i like the way that carrying heavier weapons will make you much less mobile and make it harder to pull off some neat tricks, whereas a pistol will barely make a difference.

7. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

The problem is that the game becomes quickly boring and confusing.

8. Leonardo

Leonardo Old fart on top the mountain.....

I'm still waiting for a pc demo or I'm not even considering buying it.....

(j/king) :lol:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  9. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

I thought the runner vision was a nice way to find yourself. You can also find your way by holding the B button.

10. Scuzzbuster

Scuzzbuster It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

I'd have to give it a big thumbs up after playing the 360 version. I haven't gotten through the entire game yet, but it's hardly accurate to even called a "Shooter" in the traditional sense since it's really designed in a manner that you could get through the game without ever using the weapon. I think my son put it pretty well when he compared it to Portal. It's would put it in a genre that's kind of a mix of FPS, Splinter Cell, and Portal. The graphics are s bit disappointing...at least in the cutscenes. It's not a very well done cell-shaded look....at least in my opinion.

11. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

I just got it over Steam, and it's hugely impressive. I love the racing mode, constantly finding new ways to do stuff faster.

However, I've been having some problems with my RAM, and until that's solved, I'm kinda stuck in the first levels :(