UE1 - UT Milkshape Terrain

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Anyone familiar with making terrain using Milkshape? I got the terrain created and imported apparently fine (using dxf), but when I add it to my subtracted cube, I get a ton of BSP holes, probably from the ton o'triangles.

I checked "merge faces" when I imported, as unchecking seem to make it worse, but I'm not sure which is actually right. I'm just experimenting with various terrain methods (don't have 3ds max) from Terragen, Terredit, Tessellated cubes and now Milkshape but haven't decided which is less of a pain. So if anyone prefers one method over the other...i'm all ears.

TerrainBSPhole.gif

I actually now love UE2's terrain editor.

Last edited:

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
It looks like just way too many vertices. I did a terrain experiment a while back and this was about as complicated as I could make it before BSP errors started to occur:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2775/terraint.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I think there were 20 tesselations per side which made 400 vertices total, whereas yours looks like about 50 by 50 making 2500 vertices, even if you reduce it to 30 by 30 the terrain should still look pretty good. And yeah, the terrain builder is a much better way to go because all your vertices will still snap to the grid, whereas the vertices in imported brushes will not.

Last edited by a moderator: