1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Military Loadouts that make sense...

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Bullzeye, Jun 17, 2001.

1. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

I do not like the artificial nature of this system.

problem 1 : what do you do with additional weapons grabbed in-game ?
    You need some indication as to why you can't get a weapon ...

problem 2:
    when is a weapon a sidearm and when is it a 'primary' ?
    examples : HK-69, Remington 870 ?

not everyone will agree with the choices made ...

I think a X-com-type system or a system where every additional weapon has an increased bulk would be better.

2. Kisen_K

Kisen_K S&M Airlines

Yes, If a player wants several primary weapons , let him have it. It has some obvious downsides to it, but like in RL , it can be done.

3. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

The best idea IMHO was the one à la X-com/diablo2. Where you can see your player from face in the loadout menu and drag and drop weapons where you want on him. If the time to switch your weapon depend on where it is of course...

4. DeadEyeNick

DeadEyeNick New Member

OK, so lets go back to the X-Com system.
    Discuss.

5. Kisen_K

Kisen_K S&M Airlines

Yeah, I really love the X-Com system

6. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

One thing we'd need then is a different aiming system, because with teh current system it's just too easy to hit people, i hardly use more then 1 or 2 mags (especially since i always tote the robar :)) while in other games like SF or tac-ops i always need to buy more ammo. Since i use them to provide coverig fire. (covering fire works in those games since you can't just strafe out and shoot the enemy in the face at 100m within half a second).

If we'd need more ammo we'd see a hell of a lot less multiweapon people.

7. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

I find its actually harder to hit people online because 2.85.5 drastically increases lag. Once I was on a really bad server and I found some guy standing completely still and sniping. I came from behind and unloaded an entire MP5 clip on him and nothing happened. I never even saw the bullets impact on him or the wall. Then he turned around and shot me in the head. I've seen the M203 gain a lot of popularity again because of the lag problems. You don't have to worry about your aim being .2 seconds off with a grenade.

8. Aequi

Aequi ballistically challenged

personally i'm kinda hoping that with assault maps that mappers will include armouries and/or also leave weapons next to each spawn spot, so that assault-maps can be played with the "override loadout" option i'v suggested.

...not sure if AS-mappers are thinking about this yet...

9. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

"great things lie ahead"

*foreboding music*

;)

10. SoSilencer

SoSilencer Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)

/me starts singing along in a girly dance-song voice with a bubblegum beat in the background...

gimme gimme gimme just a little bit, gimme gimme gimme all your lovin. gimme gimme gimme just a little bit, just a little bit of you.

11. GranoblasticMan

GranoblasticMan New Member

I like the idea of preset-loadouts. I personally liked one (and only one) element of TFC: the "classes". If we were to have that type element in INF, we could have presets and also limit them (ie, only one demo expert, one sniper, whatever, y'know?)

... Just a thought...

12. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

I believe Warren has stated on several occasions that he hates the restrictiveness of classes and they will never be put into INF.

13. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

If you see define a class as :
    'someone who can only use specified items', then it would not fit Infiltration.

The concept of "Predefined loadouts" simply is a different type of class-system.

If you place 'TFC-like classes' on one end of a scale & the userdefined loadout system Inf has at the moment at the other end,
    then 'predefined' loadouts would fall somewhere in between.
    The exact point depends on how restrictive you define those loadouts.

For some maps/games such restrictions could be used to either prevent unrealistic loadouts (ie sniperrifles & HK-69 in a CQB-type map) or you could (re)create scenarios such as US-army vs Cuban rebels (once enough weapons are available) ...

14. Spetznaz_1

Spetznaz_1 Special-Purpose

Same here. I am a great fan of sibgle weapon loadouts. One of the most effective being: MP5 + 5 mags and a Ka-Bar. Really light and alows me to run very fast and have lots of stamina.

15. GranoblasticMan

GranoblasticMan New Member

Jeez, just the barrel climb on the M-16, even in three-shot-birst is insane, so I've become a "believer" of 9mm as well. :D
    I'd rather have probably on average 2/3 9mm rounds hit than almost always miss with (is it 5.56?)

16. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

My normal loadout is a SG 551 w/ ACOG and LAM with 5 mags and 2 m67 hand grenades. It is low bulk, acog lets me snipe, lam lets me use cqb (plus i'm just a good hip shooter), and the full auto lets me defend myself when i'm sniping. I don't take any sidearms in any of my loadouts anymore, except the robar, because the bulk is not worth it.

17. Shag

Shag New Member

Don't forget that this is more spec ops than infantry. What a soldier carries in the infantry is irrelevant. Spec ops dudes carry all kind of crazy stuff. And often they pick it.

No slots please. The x com thing sounds allright, though.

The Fur, IRL it's not that hard to shoot a gun accurately. The recoil on some of the guns is already a little heavier than RL, so why tweak them even more? ( Or are you just talking about bullet drop? ) The DE may be the exception. Man, you can snipe like crazy with that thing. I can't believe any pistol is that accurate.

18. zefran

zefran New Member

If you carry around multiple weapons in real life, your combat ineffective to the bone. Its not so much that you cant carry them, as to the bulk it creates. You want all your equipment except your rifle to hug your body as best as possible so you are more mobile. When you have a rifle slung over your shoulder, and one in your hand firing, thats going to create a massive problem in your ability to kill anyone but yourself. If you are allowed to do this, you should not even be able to shoot except from the hip. Its just to hard to model all these problems, so, it would be better just to limit what people can carry. I outlined a very good system for this in a post a while back.

-Jason

19. LCJr.

LCJr. New Member

Zefran do you have the URL or title of the thread you mentioned?

I still like the one primary+one secondary option. Let bulk be the deciding factor on what is a primary/secondary weapon. For example say anything with a bulk of 6 or higher is a primary and anything less a secondary. For example:

Primary weapons
    Assualt Rifles
    SMG's
    HK69
    Sniper Rifles
    Shotgun
    LMG's

Secondary weapons
    Pistols
    PDW's
    M203
    Sawed off shotgun