1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Microsoft Office 2007

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Shadow, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Shadow

Shadow Has Balls Of Steel

I've just run into another problem with my new computer. For some reason when I try to install Office 2007, I get a message saying I cant. Like what happens is when I go into setup the Microsoft Office thing will start to load but then a message comes up saying "Applying a setup customization file requires windows installer 3.1 or greater. Please contact your administrator."

Does'nt windows come with windows installer? I dont understand why this is happening because I installed Office 2007 with no issues on my old ****ty pc.

Help is really appreciated here because I need to use Office 2007 tonight for something.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shadow

Thanks Skakruk, I'll check that out now.

3. Shadow

I just went on live updates and it installed something called windows genuine advantage tool. Wth is this? Will it slow down my system at all... because after installing it, it sorta feels slower. =\

4. Shadow

crap is there a way to get rid of this thing?

5. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

Yes, but its probaly against rules regarding hacks/possible pirating/bypassing.

6. Shadow

But they gave me the option to install it, should'nt I have the option to get rid of it?

7. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

The tool may go away and leave you alone if you have activated previously installed M$ products like previous versions of Office etc.

I had trouble with this a while back when it told me my legitimate install of M$ Office 200* was not legitimate. I had to go to the M$ knowledge base, find out how to de-activate the product and then re-activate it.

Of course, when I tried to approach M$ about a work around, they were no bloody help at all.

The whole deal is M$'s way if insulting legitimate buyers of their products by assuming they are pirating the software. :tdown:

8. Shadow

I just tried it Skakruk, says this update cannot be removed...

9. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

I think all the WGAT does is just check your install key to make sure it's legit. You practically need it installed to download anything from the download center these days.

Windows installer has been upgraded several times over the life of XP. It's essentially the MS equivalent of InstallShield or NSIS. Be careful with 4.5... when I tried to manually install it, something broke the service and nothing would install. Had to find additional instructions on fixing the service, but I think I read this issues was resolved later. The joys of trying to stay up-to-date.

10. Gothik

Gothik Day Tripper

A system restore gets rid of it quite efficiently, provided you have System Restore enabled that is.

11. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

A windows installer is usually updated during the windows update process somewhere along the way; usually, I keep checking for updates with every reboot until I have all the ones I need. The WGA is some BS that came out a couple years ago from M$ that everyone was bitching about for a while until it was determined it wasn't worth it to try and get around it. There should be some old threads at forums that talks about it, but I wouldn't worry about it for now. I just let all this stuff install last week with my new system (working fine for now, but probably won't try installing games for about 2-3 weeks and that will be the "real" test). I'm still using Office 2003, so I'm not sure how an install of Office 2007 goes, but hope everything is running fine now.:)