Metal Storm Weapons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Hypersonic speeds have been achieved by rocket planes and by gliders.

GLIDERS????

Yep. The Space Shuttle is at Mach 28 when it hits the atmosphere during landing. :D

The only self-powered plane I'm aware of that has actually succeeded in reaching hypersonic speeds is the X-15 rocket plane, although the (rumored) next-generation replacement for the SR-71, the "Aurora", is supposedly hypersonic as well.

Ramjet and scramjet engines (Aurora is believed to be a compound rocket/ramjet setup) are theoretically capable of reaching hypersonic speeds, but not conventional turbojet and turbofan engines. NASA is working on a scramjet-powered, hypersonic-capable X-plane which may eventually lead to hypersonic airliners. :D

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
well I'm not sure about that but I think Echranoplans(sp?), russians plane using the ground effect, have reached hypersonic speeds... well probably not... but if the project hadn't been dropped for lacks of funding maybe they would have:)

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
yes antiship missiles can travel up to mach 3
rocket engins dont need intakes or fancy safety systems. its just fuel fire and go.

score one for metal storm.
you'll only get a split second to shoot, and thats what this system is best at, lol

(and I think the term is "trans sonic" but dont hold me to it ;) )

[edit: hypersonic is something best done at extremely high altitudes. air pressure = heat, and the lower you fly the greater the chance of pressuer either crushing the plane or over heating. not to mention we have little information about what a shockwave will do if it bounced off the ground]

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
You might not think much about it, but that shockwave is the single most important thing in studying supersonic flight.

they gave it a name cause folks have spent years discecting what goes on in a sonic boom.
I would say its quite important.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
ok, think about a boat.

when a boat like a sailboat with a big heavy hull is moving through water, the water in front builds into a bow wave. the water pushed out from underneath forms a stern wave, and continues to undulat long after you passed, making a wake.

at about 7 knots(10mph or so depending on the length of your hull, in this case 24 feet) you will reach hull speed.
meaning the front wave traps you in. the boat cant sail any faster because theres no power to lift you over that wave.

longer the hull, the longer the wave, teh faster you go.
but the front wave will always stop you.
so, to go about 30 miles per hour, (as I understand it) you need a hull of 75 feet.

unless ;)

we change the shape of the hull to ride over that front wave, and jam on the power.
then your boat rises over the wave, and runs alot faster.
we can now reach speeds of over 100 mph in a 25 foot boat.

its a clumsy analogy for supersonic flight.

there, its happening in 3d, and the shape is said to be complex and changing depending on the plane. air isint easily visible. so they dont know the details of whats going on too well.

the point where you ride over the front wave of air is transonic. thats when the "bow wave" breaks and rolls down the side of your plane.
what they want to know is how to break that front wave more easily, with less power.(as I understand it, it takes more power to break through the sound barrier, than to maintain flight just afterwards)

not only that, but then theres the sound problem.
we cant have supersonic airliners till someone figures out how to "not" make a sonic boom.
(or at least one that dosent rattle your windows :p )

Originally posted by RAZZ
yes antiship missiles can travel up to mach 3
rocket engins dont need intakes or fancy safety systems. its just fuel fire and go.

score one for metal storm.
you'll only get a split second to shoot, and thats what this system is best at, lol

(and I think the term is "trans sonic" but dont hold me to it ;) )

[edit: hypersonic is something best done at extremely high altitudes. air pressure = heat, and the lower you fly the greater the chance of pressuer either crushing the plane or over heating. not to mention we have little information about what a shockwave will do if it bounced off the ground]

Problem is, the Russians already have hypersonic antiship missiles. I don't believe the hypersonic ones are also sea-skimming, though. One of their better ideas was a two-stage hypersonic cruise missile -- high subsonic for the delivery phase, then release the hypersonic second stage for the kill.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
lol, sorry for the wordy explanation :)
<--- watched too much "Mr. Wizard" as a kid

metal storm against hypersonic missiles, the result should be the same.
Dosent matter how fast it goes unless,your launching it very close, or you got some way to keep it from being detected until its too late.
cause according to the propeganda from this company, there will be a wall of lead in flight the second a rocket is detected.

I would hazzard a guess that something like a super fast cluster bomb or just flooding the sky with missiles would work better.
but who knows.