1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 mesh particle emitter lighting

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by brunomartelli, Oct 19, 2009.

1. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

Hi

can i get mesh particles to take lighting? or is it just unlit? are there any tutes out there? Im making a lift shaft with broken machinery raining down, is a mesh particle emitter the best way???

tnx in advance

2. Odedge

Odedge Keeper of Tutorials

While I am new at learning emitters, I would presume that they can't be lit (or at least shouldn't be lit). That would take a lot of calculations by the engine, which would slow the game down.

In my tutorial list (see signature), there is a few links that cover emitters. Also, there are some more on the Collector's Edition video tutorials as well.

Another presumption, but I think the mesh emitter might be the best and easiest way to do that. I guess you could do it with interpactors and Matinee, but you would have to set up the movement track for each one.

3. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

You could also use KActors. But might be buggy with online replication and might also hit performance without hardware phx acceleration.

4. Flint

Flint New Member

1 Mesh emiters can be lit
    2 Particles with masked materials can take lighting too.
    3 You can make fake lighting for mesh emitors.

5. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

Ok Flint, how do you light mesh emitters? At the moment I'm faking it with a material..

6. Flint

Flint New Member

7. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

ok cool, thanks Flint! (I must be suffering from brain damage...) ill give it a whirl....