1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Meet Your White, Male Dev

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Oct 20, 2005.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Sci-fi.com has a short article on the whiteness and maleness of your average game developer.

Video-game players may be increasingly diverse, but a new study by the International Game Developers Association finds that the overwhelming majority of game developers are white, educated males, with just over five years of experience in the field. The IGDA's Game Developer Demographics report also revealed that the average age is only 31 in a sector thought to be very young. The IGDA's survey further revealed that more than half of studios find it tough to draw applicants of diverse background.

2. Sirius

Sirius Meh

And the purpose of this study?
    Who cares what color/sex game devs are as long as they can produce quality entertainment.

3. cole_bie

cole_bie ^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^

Yeah, I agree with Sirius, this whole thing seems a little useless to me.

4. bid

bid New Member

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

I was going to post the same thing. Who really cares/whats the point they're trying to make?

6. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Gotta waste money with some retarded "study" somehow.

7. Sirius

Sirius Meh

I always did wonder who funds this kind of crap.:rolleyes:

8. Arglebargle

Arglebargle Guest

"majority of game developers are white, _educated_ males"
    This just in: Majority of professionals in highly technical jobs are considered "educated". Film at 11.

9. Enfyrneaux

Enfyrneaux New Member

Where are you now, Jack Thompson?

AHA! Now that we know that all game devs are white males (who we know are always racist because they're white and sexist because they're [hetero] males), the products they create must be tailored to promoting their white sumpremacist agendas! They also want all of you women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen cooking them munchies while they program the next murder simulator!

But seriously, I see this as a prelude to lawsuits demanding quotas...nevermind the fact that quotas are racist :tdown::mad:

10. cole_bie

cole_bie ^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^

Haha nice.

11. Blaaguuu

Blaaguuu taunt pthrust

What am amazing revelation! I believe this will have profound impact on all aspects of society.

12. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

It's a study. Published on the internet.

What more could you possibly want? :lol:

13. Bang_Doll

Bang_Doll Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96

Cookies.

14. vickissv3

vickissv3 New Member

For the large amount of white developers, Epic seems to be the most diverse. Which might explain how the majority of epic developed games have black protagonists like in Unreal and Unreal tournament/championship series and Gears of War. Very interesting...

15. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

I think this really matters, it has to do with role models, for example, the Professor of color........if there were more role models of color the trend would follow. Awhile back I read an article of a college professor doing something about it, he's black american and is very well into game making and teaching, so role models like these are needed......

16. GRAF1K

GRAF1K ****** Kamikaze

Not only was I unaware of this fact, but I am amazed at the degree to which this study changes my life and the lives of people everywhere!

17. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

18. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

I think this will change in the coming years. I am (luckily) not white ( ;) ), and I'm working on getting in the industry. But when I go to IGDA meetings...there is one black guy and me, and that's among 40 or so. And about 2 women. While I certainly think that the game industry (and usually, technically oriented companies) is not racist, it's kinda interesting to observe.

19. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

Read this research article, it was done by someone I grew up with in my neighborhood..........

http://www.csus.edu/sernacenter/research/nevarez.htm

20. GRAF1K

GRAF1K ****** Kamikaze

"...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." --Shakespeare

It's an interesting art, this use of a great deal of words to say very little. I should take it up some day.

Edit: In no way do I wish to sound as though I haven't any feeling for minority groups. I only wish to express that these particular works do not appear to have any value, not because of the subject matter, but because they fail to say much of anything.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005