MechPack Announced

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shai'tan

Great Lord of the Dark
Jun 7, 2000
Shayol Ghul
www.planetunreal.com
Thanks for all your support, guys! Let's get some quick questions out of the way;

Stomping on people; Hell yes. You run them over just as you would with a regular vehicle.

Yes, the bug-like wings are the jump-jets; similar to the manta blades, but you'll see them move around as you're strafing in the air; pushing the mech in different directions. I didn't talk too much about the play control; This mech doesn't have the limbs to strafe, so you'll only be able to move forward, backward, and turn with it... while it's on the ground. You get it in the air, and strafing clicks in with the air control.

We 'were' planning on having cockpits for some of the mechs. It didn't happen because a) we liked how the concept art looked without them, and b) Our poly count for that guy is sitting at around 3000 already, and we didn't want to stress the lower-end machines with an extra 1000 polys (500 for the cockpit, 500 for the player model). We're keeping things simple; Make it fun and easy to play. That's how you start a great mod; with a gameplay concept in mind. If it looks cool after-the-fact, that's just an added bonus!

Second fire is a zoom. This is a medium-armored mech. We prefer the idea that this thing has modest strengths and weaknesses from different weapons at different ranges; just like how you'd prefer a Biorifle against a Goliath but not a Raptor, and the Lightning Gun against a Raptor instead of the Goliath. If it had miniguns and rockets, and players coming in close would be blasted away, and any farther away would be filled with holes, leaving it few weaknesses. Basically, rockets make it overpowered, and this isn't Excessive Overkill.

One thing that I didn't mention, though, is that unlike most of the games and mods that have given you guys screenshots and movies and wallpapers that take a year or more to come out, we've kept this project under media blackout for the last eight weeks for one reason, and one reason only: We don't want to make you wait. You guys want to play this now, so in 11 days, we'll have the full release of MechPack available to everybody. But for these next 11 days, expect to be blasted with hordes of content as we make more and more available, keeping you excited until the day you play. We all want you guys to have the time of your lives as you blow each other to pieces in new and exciting ways!

Anyways, keep checking BU, we'll have the second mech for viewing pleasure over the next few days, fully textured, and (of course) still BU exclusive. I've got to go finish my cover letter now, and finish the night off with some basic web design for the MechPack website.

stephen_casey_1964

Toy Sculptor
Apr 9, 2004
Tacoma WA, USA
Thanks for all the added info. I thought cockpits might be a bit much polys but I'm an Amercan I default to wanting everything.

And yes in 11 days will do, but not an hour later!!!!!!!!!

Or I'll punch holes in all your fuel tanks!!!!

Last edited:

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Oh god those mechs look amazing, looking forward to using them! Will they require custom maps? or will they replace a certain vehicle or spawn near a weapons locker/node or something?

errr edit, i actually read the post :D replaces most vehicles.

Last edited:

jasdave

Mar 16, 2002
Visit site
Few Q's...
A) I know this is a vehical conversion, but is there a way to allow the mechs + normal UT2k4 vehicles at the same time (that would be an utter ****ing blast)?
B) do you're heavier mechs have rockets? Can your heavier mechs fly?
C) are the mechs faster or as fast as the current vehicles(mechs usually aren't supposed to be THAT fast, and even if this is supposed to be a somewhat nerfed version of a mech game, it'd wouldn't do to have to moveing as fast as some of the ground vehicles)

added suggestion of having a smaller mech that can side strafe with side jointed legs, but with a single minigun only.

Great Work btw

Last edited:

Shai'tan

Great Lord of the Dark
Jun 7, 2000
Shayol Ghul
www.planetunreal.com
Jasdave;

There will be a couple vehicles that hang around in Mechpack and aren't replaced because we figure they're perfectly balanced with the mechs we have now, and we don't have time to make six mechs. ^^
Maybe if that vehicle mod out there that lets you choose which vehicles spawn at which spawn point is compatible with our conversion, you might be able to switch and mix things up, but that's completely up in the air at the moment. Personally, I wouldn't want to attack a RASP in a Manta without first making out my will.

Any of the three remaining mechs might have rockets; you'll have to wait and see. As well, the potential for the remaining three to fly is about as much as them having rockets.

Some vehicles are faster than others, so... yes. :p

There's a variation of different styles of mechs... stay tuned for our next announcement. But at the moment, any information regarding the next three mechs is classified, and we'll gradually give you more pics and info.

A

AdZ

w00tage!!

Only 4 days to go!
i`ll be squishing everyone & everything!:D

Cant wait!

TE evil mutt

May 11, 2004
time

Shai'tan said:
Jasdave;

There will be a couple vehicles that hang around in Mechpack and aren't replaced because we figure they're perfectly balanced with the mechs we have now, and we don't have time to make six mechs. ^^
Maybe if that vehicle mod out there that lets you choose which vehicles spawn at which spawn point is compatible with our conversion, you might be able to switch and mix things up, but that's completely up in the air at the moment. Personally, I wouldn't want to attack a RASP in a Manta without first making out my will.

Any of the three remaining mechs might have rockets; you'll have to wait and see. As well, the potential for the remaining three to fly is about as much as them having rockets.

Some vehicles are faster than others, so... yes. :p

There's a variation of different styles of mechs... stay tuned for our next announcement. But at the moment, any information regarding the next three mechs is classified, and we'll gradually give you more pics and info.

Maybe if u guys got some time 4 a new version u can round of the edges and make more mechs because 5 weeks aint much(estimate) :notworthy: :notworthy: :2thumb: :notworthy:

A

AdZ

I have a question...will the bots be able to use teh mechs ok?
I hope so!:D
PS:3 days to go;)

U

Unrgistred101

Hello,does anyone know if these Mechs have been released yet? in the post it says 30th may to be released.So are they out to DL yet? just wonderin;)

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I'm sure as soon as they're available the info will be posted on the front page of BU... They're no-one faster or better at keepin' us informed :tup:

A

AdZ

wow hoo!!! just seen teh front page and its out!!! :D
looks awesome!! im downloading right now...

thank youuuu!!:)