UE1 - UT MayaPLE to UnrealEd 2.0. tutorial

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyberSirius

Mostly dead.
Jan 4, 2004
Here's a tutorial for importing static meshes (terrain and stuff) to UnrealEd 2.0.

You need Maya (obviously),UnrealEd 3.0 and UnrealEd 2.0

1. Create your mesh (Unwrapping is not obligatory).
  2. (Recommended) Reduce the poly count by using whatever methods (it must be closed).
  3. Export it to UnrealEd 3.0 as a static mesh.
  4. Place it in a box as big as the static mesh.
  5. Choose it and place it in your map and if needed,scale it to size
  6. Choose your static mesh in the 3D View and from the Static Mesh Browser,press the "create static mesh from selection" (obligatory).
  7. Place the static mesh you just created and remove the other static mesh.
  8. Choose your static mesh,press the RMB and Convert it to a Brush.
  9. Export your brush.
  10. Close UnrealEd 3.0 and open UnrealEd 2.0.
  11. Import your brush you just created as Non-Solid (To Remove BSP Errors) and Substract it.
  12. Make a Brush bigger than the mesh and Press the Deintersect button.
  13. Remove your old brush and substract your new one then rebuild.
  14. (Optional) Texture your brush.
  15. (Optional) Add Stuff.
  16. (Optional) Simply add lights and a PlayerStart,rebuild all and test.
  17. (Recommended) Save your map.

Hope that helps.

hmooboi06

Jan 24, 2008
hey. I'm working on a terrain and I want to know how big of static mesh I'll need to create in order so that I won't have to resize it or remodel. So I want to know if there's anyway that you can do the opposite of this, like exporting it out from UnrealEd and importing it into maya?

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
I believe the units translate... ie... 1 unit in Maya / mAX = 1 unreal unit. Could be wrong, but I remember someone posting that a while back.

So a 512 x 512 terrain has roughly those size limits in either program.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
hey. I'm working on a terrain and I want to know how big of static mesh I'll need to create in order so that I won't have to resize it or remodel. So I want to know if there's anyway that you can do the opposite of this, like exporting it out from UnrealEd and importing it into maya?

Export the map as .obj file. Then convert to .fbx.