1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Maxplayers/Minplayers tangent

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by Imaginos, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

With the ability to now build maplists which include some command parameters, has anyone tried adding varying min/maxplayers/spectators to see what happens?
    On my Deathball server, players regularly vote up maps that are too small for the number of players, or dogpile in on 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 matches. I don't want to discourage play by removing the smaller maps though. If I was to change the maxplayers on the fly, some people would get a surprise "server full" message, and the lucky few would get in. Would it be prudent to warn voters that if there is a maplist in use and they select a map which includes a value of maxplayers < # of current players with a message telling them so? (Just the opposite of the min/max map rejection checks..)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  2. frogger187

frogger187 eat. sleep. frag.

so you would kick current players or just possibly limit the player count to something that it is now or slightly higher...i think i follow that you would change the server player load depending on the map voted for...i think its a decent idea...for us..the min/max voting is plenty...the traffic doesn't really depend on the map voted it doesn't seem on our servers...its either full or half...regardless of the map being played (it seems)..so the current system of setting limits on the maps is plenty for us..but i can see the benefits of this as well...very cool:2thumb:

3. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

You must remember that although you may have a map in the UT2004.ini MapList, say:
    Maps=DM-Deck17?Mutator=Whatever.MutWhatever?MaxPlayers=8?MaxSpectators=16

When UT2Vote asks for this map from UT2004 code, it returns DM-Deck17.

The rest of the stuff, like mutators, commands etc is only accessible just before the level changes, in otherwords 'after' voting has already taken place, so to warn players of any commands 'before' voting is not possible as it looks just like any other map at that stage.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  4. frogger187

5. Imaginos

Almost.. And actually what he has in mind can be done right now. It requires all custom maplists with the minplayers/maxplayers/maxspecs all specified on each map. (and therefore, another reason to disable webadmin - which could mess up all his manual work if someone mucks with the maplists)

I look forward to playing with this in detail tomorrow.

And again, who had that excel spreadsheet to make maplist editing easier?

6. frogger187

i did/do....

http://www.h-townmadness.com/CheckMapsCreator.zip

you're right...i forgot about that...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  7. Imaginos

Hehe.. and I found your excel sheet on your forum now too.. Looked it over and it's not exactly what I'm after. D'oh..

8. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

9. Imaginos

I replied there. And I deal with a lot of idiots on my server that don't seem to care that the game is a mess when there's too many people in the server.
    It's nice to be able to limit the available maps based on how many are IN at the time of the vote, but does that count include specs?
    And then there's the peeps that pile in after the fact.. which happens a lot too. ESPECIALLY when there's any popular small map in play.

I've got to try something soon.

10. frogger187

11. Imaginos

Heh.. nah. Mine.

I didn't want to continue that thread. This is more suited for a brainstorming or wishes post here in privacy. I understand Ben's position of not wanting to have any effects that will reflect poorly on UT2Vote, so that's another reason to let that thread drop. I'm just at a loss for options as to how to deal with running an orderly match when a mob shows up after it starts.
    I can't take the small maps off, that will cause great woe and much gnashing of teeth.

12. frogger187

per my last post over there..i think the 2 working together would give a fool proof set-up..