MAX to Unreal Converter Ver1 RELEASED!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Regarding the Terrain file you sent me.

I just got this email back from Solosnake about the converter...

"Yes, its what I thought. Damn that was a silly oversite. I think I meant to put it into the convertor, but completely forgot about the 'sub texturing' ability. Well I can fix it, but not instantly, as I am heading home for Christmas, and then its exam time."

Sounds like a fix may be coming down the pike sometime...

eon5

Oct 19, 2001
Argentina
www.eternaut.com.ar
Problems with texture package of new model

Which are the steps that i must do to import a brush with textures attached?

I was made a new weapon modeled and texturized in MAX.

I use this tool to make a t3d but something is wrong when import it in UnrealED, because the textures are not attached.

Please, can anyone tell me how i must do the new weapon textures package?

thanks in advance :)

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Ya, that’s a good question: and to add to your question, how do you export a model from max with textures? I don't even know where the textures would be stored in max or what size they need to be?

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Maybe that is something that I figured everyone understood by now, my bad.

It's just like when you export an area of your map out to T3D to later import back into another level... you need to have the textures (using the exact same names) loaded in unreal BEFORE you import the converted T3D. So whatever textures you are using in MAX need to be converted to PCX or BMP and imported into unreal (and saved as a UTX file), then you can import the T3D into unreal.

But ummm... that's not how you do weapon models eon5. That's a whole other ball game/process).

PROMAGNUM

HaloBender
Jun 26, 2000
LACAUSA
www.Promagnum.com
not to jump the gun or anything

I dont see the difference between this converter and plain .asc files for prefabs..
I mean if you have to import all the tex any how with both in UED, and the tex in max when mirrored and correctly put on the brush is going to be ignored by the converter anyhow, whats the difference?
What am I missing I cant see any difference...
the t3d ignores the balance of max through the converter, but prefabs in *.asc to ued need the tex imported to ued, just like the t3d, that would make no difference, someone explain what exactly Im missing here, I have tested it and I see no difference other then importing via t3d instead of asc, if the converter ignores my mapping cords in max, what good is it? as a asc I can import the tex to ued and then apply it and rotate it just the same.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
PROMAGNUM, The converter doses keep the coordinates giving that you don’t break the rules. You “can not” use the U and V rotations in max on the brush, because it will come out different in the ED. That is a limitation of the ASE file format, not the actual converter I guess. Anyway, look at this shape I imported with the converter, notice how the pattern follows the shape of the snake, you could never do that in the ED with out something like this utility.

Spooge, I got what your saying, but where do the textures go in the Max folder so that you can bring them in into the material editor. Also: do textures is Max need to be 256x256 or128x128 just like the ED? I mean if I apply texture coordinates to a brush in Max I plan to use in the Ed, doses the textures size need to be the same size to come out the same in the Unreal-ED? I’ll be honest, I’m still a little green with this material editor in max, very powerful, but definitely takes some getting use to.

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
Originally posted by Starstreams

but where do the textures go in the Max folder so that you can bring them in into the material editor. Also: do textures is Max need to be 256x256 or128x128 just like the ED? I mean if I apply texture coordinates to a brush in Max I plan to use in the Ed, doses the textures size need to be the same size to come out the same in the Unreal-ED? I’ll be honest, I’m still a little green with this material editor in max, very powerful, but definitely takes some getting use to.

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl

but where do the textures go in the Max folder so that you can bring them in into the material editor. Also: do textures is Max need to be 256x256 or128x128 just like the ED? I mean if I apply texture coordinates to a brush in Max I plan to use in the Ed, doses the textures size need to be the same size to come out the same in the Unreal-ED? I’ll be honest, I’m still a little green with this material editor in max, very powerful, but definitely takes some getting use to.

I haven't been reading all posts in this thread so I'll most likely say stuff that has been said before, but I know the awnser to above questions, so here I go:

take a material in the material editor.... search for the diffuse part... there could be a color you can select or a button for "different maps", select last one and choose "bitmap". Now you can just browse to the image file you'd like to use as a texture. You'll have to hit some button to make sure the texture shows in MAX's editor windows. If you want to make sure your UT texture will show up right when you import the brush in UED, I'd suggest to export that texture from UT and use it as your diffuse map in MAX.

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Spooge, I got what your saying, but where do the textures go in the Max folder so that you can bring them in into the material editor. Also: do textures is Max need to be 256x256 or128x128 just like the ED? I mean if I apply texture coordinates to a brush in Max I plan to use in the Ed, doses the textures size need to be the same size to come out the same in the Unreal-ED?

Thanks keek.;)

Additionaly, it does not matter where the texture is located in MAX, as long as you have a path set to it, MAX does not care. Like Keek said, just browse for the texture and use it. Also, Textures in MAX do not need to be 256x256 or 128x128, etc. like they do in Unreal. of course you need to resize it for Unreal but MAX just uses the overall mapping coordinate for any given texture. If this confuses you then resize them prior to using them in MAX so that when you convert it to unreal it's the same. Either way it does not matter.

Was there something that you wanted to say @kuma or did you change your mind?

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Ok, Thanks Keek and Spooge

It’s kind of funny the way I made that shape above. I just extruded a circle along a curved path, but since I didn’t know how to texture it in max, I just textured it in Unreal: Surprisingly the utility still kept to coordinates even though I exported the shape without a max texture.

I just need to find a name for that snake :D

PROMAGNUM

HaloBender
Jun 26, 2000
LACAUSA
www.Promagnum.com
Actually what it does for me is not even show the tex I imported into ued on the object.
Once i import the brush it is tex'less... so that is were Im missing how it works, basically it does keep the cords but I have to place the tex on it in ued,even if the tex from max is already imported. Seems pointless but oh well.

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by PROMAGNUM
Actually what it does for me is not even show the tex I imported into ued on the object.
Once i import the brush it is tex'less... so that is were Im missing how it works, basically it does keep the cords but I have to place the tex on it in ued,even if the tex from max is already imported. Seems pointless but oh well.

Then something is not right. I have yet to have this problem, nor did anything like that come up in the testing. Your sure the textures are the exact same name? They need to be the same name in Unreal as they are in MAX.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
Did you manage to conver the texture coords from uv until the lame-ass Unreal texture vectors (god damnit Tim, WTF were you thinking?)? What did you do to handle texture matricies which have a determinant of 0? I'm interested in this because I wrote a very similar tool for a pilot project at my company, however I didn't get around to fixing the texture coord issues before the project was canned.

If you did manage to solve these texture vector generation issues, then kudos.

As a side note: If that project had been picked up and we were to purchase a liscense to the Unreal engine, we would've got it at a discount for that peice of code, which would've made it into UnrealED. With all this talk about the INF team acquiring a liscense to the technology, you might think about what to do with this tool. If you donated it to the team, it might be a help to them. However, you're obviously not obligated to do any such thing, and also it's entirely possible that the latest version of UnrealEd will automatically import textured gometry as brushes already...

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Was there something that you wanted to say @kuma or did you change your mind?

I was going to ask if you were still working on the converter & let you know about ea's just released t3d tool - then I noticed that you'd posted about v 1.2

these forums need a working 'delete post' option :(

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
@kuma... yeah I saw that they released it, those @&^%$#!

This is from apost I had done in another forum... "I don't know man, I just get the feeling they kept it from the public until they found out the public had something like it, then they had no reason to hang on to it so hard... and that kind of blows.

I'm not pissed or anything, I just think they should have coughed it up sooner, would have saved us all a lot of time and hassle."

That's just my feelings on the matter.

And rgreene... Solosnake wrote the converter so he would be a better person to ask, I honestly could not tell you much. As for the next Gen engine, yes it's common knowledge that you will be able to import textured geometry with coords directly from MAX, but my guess is it's still 8+ months before release (that's just a guess).

PROMAGNUM

HaloBender
Jun 26, 2000
LACAUSA
www.Promagnum.com
Originally posted by Spooge

Then something is not right. I have yet to have this problem, nor did anything like that come up in the testing. Your sure the textures are the exact same name? They need to be the same name in Unreal as they are in MAX.

Yep exact same names, same tex.I import the tex before I import the .t3d, then add the imported brush, it shows the default tex.