1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MAX to UED Geometry converter close...

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Spooge, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Spooge

Spooge Digital Content Creator

Well I got the last Alpha test version of the 3D Studio MAX converter and it WORKS sooo sweet!

OK for those of you who have not been following the progress of this from day one.

I found a programmer who was will to take on the UGLY burden of writing a utility that could read an exported 3D Studio MAX file and convert it to Unreals T3D format. And yeah, although we can do this now with DXF... that format does NOT support the texture call or the texture alignment.

To accomplish this we had to pick a format that MAX could Export that retained texture coordinates and that could be converted into T3D for import into UnrealEd. So, we settled on the ASE format out of MAX.

Anyway, the last Alpha version of this exporter utility does in fact convert ASE to T3D PERFECTLY! It's a major breakthrough for anyone who needs creative texture alignment on a brush in UnrealEd! I have been looking for a utility like this (that I could use publicly) for over 3 years!

So things like columns, roads, walkways, arch's can now be texture mapped in MAX and exported into Unreal! Very cool!

Look at these examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are two of the actual textures used...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hope to work with the programmer in some final bug testing and will try and get this converter out to the public ASAP!!

2. Original9

Original9 Deleted.

:eek2:

*In Cartman's voice*

"Sweet!" :D

3. eon5

eon5 New Member

any web site to go and see ?

[​IMG]

4. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

I could never call you a friend before, but now I can. :D

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, that means we can also use less textures in our maps!

5. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

OH
    MY
    GAWD.... it has finally come....

so, uh, spooge, that programmer dating you now? ;):D

6. keek

keek mapper

Great!
    Could you post a shot with lighting on?

7. McMuffin

McMuffin The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator

GAH! The anticipation!

8. Spooge

Yeah... well... that WAS the deal, was it not? :( Now I see why we need MORE female programmers...:( ;) :D :p

Like this or...?
    [​IMG]

ahh... I know what Keek is after... and yeah, if you have all kinds of crazy brushes/surfaces, you are going to get odd lighting thanks to the the lack of real smoothing group support in Unreal... such is life. It's a converter, not a catch all/maid/whore/popcorn machine... just a messenger translating the message. The rest is good old Unreal limitations we deal with anyway.;)

9. Spooge

You might find this interesting as well... copied from the Tac Ops Forum...

And no, it is simply a geometry & texture alignment converter from MAX... we have not attmpted to go the other way with it... although I have often wished for a simular utility. Who knows, it's early in the development process. The programmer might think that's a simple process now that we have accomplished this direction. We'll see.

As for building an entire level in MAX and importing it... Yes, you could do that. But keep in mind that currently it brings everything in as one brush each time. So like this image, it is 3 brushes built in MAX (the stone floor brush was lofted along the same path as the walls, so 2 there, plus 1 arch) and converted in one shot, it was seen as a single brush when imported as T3D.
    [​IMG]

My guess is you could also end up with a high node count unless careful. AND, you would want to import your subtracts first, then your adds... if you know what I mean.

10. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

Speaking of smoothing groups, this question might be a little off, but have you heard anything about the new ED maybe having that feature? That would be nice!

11. Spooge

Actualy if you look at the pics on Epics site you can see that they do in fact support smoothing groups for the new imported hardware/static brush types.;)

12. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

Ya I see what you mean, I’m thinking of something else I guess. For some reason I thought the smoothing groups had something to do with light. Like when you get two seams on the floors or walls where the light intensity’s are different. me was wrong :)

13. Spooge

No... not wrong.

The seams you are seeing is due to the fact that no smoothing is taking place. So the shadows/lighting the surface receives are not being smoothed between the two faces.

The real issue though is the next gen engine does not "fix" this issue with existing brush types created in the UED... it only adresses this issue for Imported brushes that have smoothing groups, like from MAX.

14. Original9

Original9 Deleted.

Wahoo! Now I have 3D Max. :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2001
  15. Spooge

Great! Now say Oops if you need to learn to use it...;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2001
  16. Original9

Original9 Deleted.

17. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

Double oops, and an argh for a mapping tutorial. :D

18. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

This looks very usable for a level with lots of cliffsides and uneven rocks.

19. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

Oh and would you know it? i just came up with a good way to light cliffs evenly :D
    looks good spooge, thats so cool

20. keek

keek mapper

:) Looks pretty good from way up!
    I know what you mean ... I'm cooking up all kinds of crazy things myself that any sane person would never think of actually using in a map, like rain generators, real see thru bullet holes, parachutes, stealth bombers, microwave ovens, world economy, intensive care, religion.... Hmm... think I gave away too many of my scripting plans..