1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mark Rein @ Shack

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Mar 29, 2006.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

ShackNews cornered the ever-elusive Mark Rein of Epic Games, while hiding out at the GDC. Among the subjects touched upon in the two page interview was Epic's recently announced partnership with Dell.

Shack: In your press briefing, you mentioned that one of your motivations--well, maybe not motivations, but at least benefits--of your partnership with Dell is that Epic will have some more leverage in the PC hardware scene.

Mark Rein: I wouldn't call it leverage. [laughs] Dell is one of the biggest companies in the world, and Epic is a small little 70-man shop. Influence, though. To be able to talk to the guy who run Unreal Engine 3 games, to make sure they run on Dell machines, to isolate systems it doesn't run well on and fix bugs, things like that. I think hopefully we'll also have a little influence, be able to say, "Come on guys, think about the gamer, don't put out this system with Intel integrated graphics, or at least offer people the upgrade and explain to them that that's not a great machine for playing games." And I'd love to be able to go to Dell customers and say, "Hey, regardless of your budget, if it's $700, let's find a gaming system that's a great value for $700. If it's $1200, here's a system that would be great for our games. If your budget is XPS600, boy this is great."

That's the thing, I really want to be able to educate Dell customers on what are great systems for playing games, push them a little bit to consider the gamer in the design from the outset. Make sure they are upgradable, they have PCI slots or graphics options, make sure that they're remembering that users are going to laptops and if you stick them with Intel integrated and nothing else they're going to get screwed. That's what I want to do. They bought Alienware, and one thing Alienware does is they make a laptop with a button on it, and you can switch it from Intel integrated to Nvidia graphics. It reboots the machine and comes up with the Nvidia graphics chip. I don't know if that's necessary or not, I've always thought those Nvidia chips were pretty good at power management, but clearly they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it was. Maybe we could convince Dell now to use that technology, to get people more excited about PC games.

2. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

Dell bought Alienware?

3. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

They now own Alienware, but they'll reportedly operate the same. Just means that the Alienware boss now has a boss above him. Don't know how much influence Dell will have on their products.

4. balls

balls .......

Mark wants to "educate" people. :rolleyes:

And yes Dell is now the proud owner of Alienware, have been for a few weeks, if you look at the 2 sites they look almost the same, same layout, different colors.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  5. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

Mark Rein needs to stop talking.

6. communist

communist New Member

BU needs to stop reporting anything about that (and many other) marketing puppet.

7. Blaaguuu

Blaaguuu taunt pthrust

I kid you not.. I read that statement as "Epic's recently announced partnership with the Devil."

I think maybe i need some sleep...

8. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

No, you need to stop reading news that you have no interest in. Thanks. Have you and your mind ever considered that some people go to a site called BEYONDunreal to get news/info on the Unreal Engine that are beyond the Unreal and UT Franchises itself and are also about how the UEngine is marketed????? If not: Do it now. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  9. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Instead of telling people what machines and hardware (*cough* nVidia card *cough*) they 'should' buy they should reverse the situation and make the game run on machines that get sold ...

10. communist

communist New Member

I just dont consider it 'news' if the same people keep on raving about how much polys their engine can crush in a nano second, how hot their latest chip can become and why I need to buy 2 gfx card for $1000+ just to play one game in 10000x20000 with 64AA and whatnotever.

How about just making exciting games for which people are willing to upgrade?

Joe Average: Why should I upgrade my DX7/8 card when my most fav game (The Sims etc.) works just fine? Oh I need it for the latest and greatest Unreal Tournament of Death :eek:

Of course he wants people to have the latest and greatest hardware so that more people can *enjoy* UEngine games but as I said why not make exciting games in the first place.. Its the age old discussion about gfx vs gameplay which for Mark Rein has long ended - his job is to sell the engine. He isnt saying anything special except that.

I just dont follow his 'educating customers' argumentation. Why would someone who wants to play games on a PC buy a computer that isnt made for it? Are we supposed to assume:
    That he is a dumbass for not asking whether the system is good for games or not?
    or in case he asks that question:
    The salesman will say "Hey it has Intel EXTREME Integrated GFX and a dual core HT extreme killing cpu running at 5000GHz - so what are you worried about?" (in other words he's not telling him the truth about integrated crap).

Does he want Dell to offer gaming systems for different budgets or offer advice how to change config1 into a acceptable / good gaming system?

I'd naturally assume (a PC manufacturer like the size of) Dell already offers this but then again they want 75€ for shipping so anyone buying at Dell - at your own risk :)

/End of rant

11. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

I've said it before, they should lock him in the trunk of a car until UT2007 ships

Very well said :tup:

Ditto as above :tup:

12. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

Wait, AlienWare just made a pact with the "DEVIL"...makes more sense........DELL cheaper? Alienware expensive?....end results, Dell wins........har har har.......

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hardware is bieng pushed by software, not the other way around (like most people think). And who ever said it won't run on other hardware? Epic has their sponsors for a reason (like nVidia) and what the hell do you expect a marketing person to talk about?

I agree with Fueger, people need to stop complaining, it's immature.

Go Mark! =P

14. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

To your point, communist, we try to report everything and let the reader decide. If I'm clipping multiple interviews from the same person in a short period of time, I try to get something new from each. It's not always easy to do.

15. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Why is he at Radio Shack? :con:

16. communist

communist New Member

Yeah I realize I went a bit far... I should have just added "+1" to BlAcK_PlAgUe22's Mark Rein needs to stop talking comment (pretty much what I think).
    But as you said its not always easy to do - especially with someone like Mark ;)

17. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

I dunno, but he must be a time traveler, because it hasn't been Radio Shack for a while now. :p

18. [IMD1]KillRoy

[IMD1]KillRoy Suck my boomstick!

I hate it when people use one brand to sell products of another brand.... Just stick with making games, and let ME deside what products I buy for my rig...

What's next? Mark Rein telling me what toaster-oven I need to buy because brand X bakes the best pizza's when playing UT2007?

UT2007 better be a good game, else it will be the last one for me...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  19. Bang_Doll

Bang_Doll Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96

What's it called nowadays?_?

Wait, I understand now. Dur hur, me smurt.

20. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

^ I don't recall, I know it's very weak.