Mark Rein On Project Natal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm not installing their own software they force us in order to watch videos and pictures. Or did I really miss something about silverlight that is really outstanding for displaying videos/pictures?

Whew.. at least Google doesn't force us to use Chrome in order to have a search result!
If you are using flash, it's pretty hypocritical to say that.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I think theres room for motion controlled games and regular controlled games, as long as thats the approach thats taken...

The games that use controllers really well now should just stay that way and they could just make new types of games that use motion controls really well...

I love Tiger Woods golf on the Wii....I think thats a good way to inovate a game

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Well that's because Nintendo is acting more like an Apple-decorated Hasbro than a videogame platform developer.

Rather than losing money on the hardware and making it up in software sales -- they focused straight on the hardware market.

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
Why would that happen? Epic has the AAA video game industry by the balls due to the (what now seems to be) ubiquitous nature of the Unreal engine. The more Microsoft builds their technology into the Unreal engine the more dependent MS will become on it.

If anything did happen between the two (if it already hasn't) is some sort of open licensing deal for "x" amount of dollars. I believe EA did this when David Jones signed an unlimited studio wide license agreement for the Unreal engine.

Furthermore Epic Games is also privately held, so Microsoft or another company can't simply destabilize the company my playing market games.

I believe that Epic Games is just fine where they are. They make the technology (and sometimes the games) while others put out even more money in the hopes of having their company publish (and potentially make millions off of) whatever game Epic is pushing. It seems like a pretty sweet spot to be sitting in if you ask me.

Last edited:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Well that's because Nintendo is acting more like an Apple-decorated Hasbro than a videogame platform developer.

Rather than losing money on the hardware and making it up in software sales -- they focused straight on the hardware market.
How would selling the console at a loss help? I don't think Nintendo's having a problem selling the hardware.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Natal has some very interesting possibilities, but it really remains to be seen how it turns out. Unlike the Wii, the 360 actually has the hardware to do immersive AI/physics/etc. along with the whole motion sensing thing. How any of this will turn out is really up to the inventiveness of the game developers, however, so I honestly doubt we'll see more than a handful of games outside of the wii sports ripoffs (which will be fun, mind you) that are actually any good. That being said, those few games could really bring things up a notch.

My only real gripe is that I would have to clear out a space in my living room to really get into motion games. That would be annoying.

~Jason

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I think the Wii gets a bad rap from hardcore gamers because it's really not aimed towards them. It's great for kids and casual players and a handful of games are fun for all. If nothing else it's a good introduction to videogames for people who otherwise would never give them a second look. If there is one valid criticism it'd have to be what appears to be very loose controls on the quality of games released for the platform which ends up chiseling away at some of the goodwill of the "new gamer" market it has grown.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Phopojijo said:
The PC lost a lot of market share... suffered a good blow due to laptops,
The laptop is a PC and has better chances of competing with consoles that desktops have. Confort and convenience at least

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I think the Wii gets a bad rap from hardcore gamers because it's really not aimed towards them. It's great for kids and casual players and a handful of games are fun for all. If nothing else it's a good introduction to videogames for people who otherwise would never give them a second look. If there is one valid criticism it'd have to be what appears to be very loose controls on the quality of games released for the platform which ends up chiseling away at some of the goodwill of the "new gamer" market it has grown.

right on point Hal, i dont hang out with alot of gamers that play the games i do, or even play games at all... But, the Wii does get played at parties and gatherings where UT or other "real" games would not even have been heard of... default Wii games r definitely mainstream in a way that any FPS will never be.