1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mark Rein On Project Natal

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Mark Rein talks to OXM about Unreal Engine 3 and Project Natal, declaring UE3 to be the "unofficial engine of Natal" and that Natal will likely incorporated into any of their future Xbox games. (thanks, dub) Here he talks about mapping player motions to canned animation with Natal/UE3.

Throws like a girl? Oh no he di'n't!

2. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

I still don't see much of a future in this natal stuff, it's just a gimmick

3. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

I hoped that for the Wii-Controller too. And what do we get... ...Pilates, Sports Resorts and stuff. :(

4. Jetfire

Jetfire New Member

I believe the Wii is limited to 2d input where Natal isn't. However time will tell, I'm naturally skeptical of these kinds of things but one day someone will crack it.

5. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

I guess it depends on the game. I can't really see how they'd integrate this into a shooter for example - unless you get some sort of treadmill as well :B
    And that thought is just... weird :lol:

6. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

If Natal is seriously going to work as they say..

Then it'll be a BIT more serious in the market than the waggling sticks of the Wii and Ps3. :eek:

7. Sijik

Sijik Snagged an item.

So what's the motion for shock combo?

8. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

This would more likely be used for QTEs than any actual gameplay.

9. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

ASMD Shock Rifle? The one on the right...

[​IMG]

10. [NBK]Rattman

[NBK]Rattman Goo God

Wii motion plus has solved the problem with 3d space, I believe

11. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

It wants me to install Microsoft Silverlight on their Microsoft site to watch videos and pictures. Good Game.

12. 213

213 New Member

I'd love this. Then we'd see who the real pros and leets are. :lol:

DarkPulse would be a LOT easier to hit for one thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2009
  13. Forgetful

Forgetful Here is party?

So?

14. Hedge-o-Matic

Hedge-o-Matic New Member

"so you can have a ragdoll effect on a leg, a running animation on an arm, a turning animation on the head"

And thus achieve the look of a total dipsh!t. High tech!

15. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Until Adobe steps up their game... which apparently they're doing in the next version but that's irrelevant... Silverlight is actually the better technology right now it seems.

16. {Ogre}Spin

{Ogre}Spin New Member

While I agree that natal seems gimmicky, I'm not going to dismiss it. I still recall sir clifford of B himself being made to look a bit of a nonce for dismissing the wii and look where that stands now (more popular than cheese!).

I can't see any way that an FPS would be improved by this tech, but that's not the point, it's more what can be done which we can't do with current stuff. It is in these areas that innovation is likely to take place.

The other thing about this tech, is that that like the wii, for every success there will be a dozen badly implemented ideas where the developers try to 'bolt on' the tech to existing game ideas (see the bloody awful donkey kong racer game among SO many others).

17. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

The Wii isn't necessarily a success -- the disillusionment from the Core audience that Nintendo had since the Gamecube carried over and intensified to the Wii. Most of the casual audience barely bought extra games.

When Nintendo will need to go back to selling systems at a loss, they will not see the profits they had. They lucked out that they could sell the Wii, at all times, at a profit.

**That Said**

Now of course you can also consider Microsoft not winning either because of all the money they threw at the 360 not looking like it'll be recovered in ANY reasonable time frame. They, however, succeeded in getting a product of theirs into the average person's living room... which they consider a success.

Sony also threw a large portion of money out the window too... but they somewhat succeeded into pushing BluRay... ... somewhat... I guess?

The PC lost a lot of market share... suffered a good blow due to laptops, netbooks, people's opinions of Vista, consoles finally switching to HD (sort-of... ... many games really don't even though they say they do... <3 "1080p game" with a 540p framebuffer), and the Mac.

So yeah... <shrugs>

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  18. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Nobody is winning, but Wii has pretty poor software sales. They obviously have no regard for WHAT gets released on their console as the vast majority of the game are so horrendous that they don't even get reviewed.

19. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

I'm not installing their own software they force us in order to watch videos and pictures. Or did I really miss something about silverlight that is really outstanding for displaying videos/pictures?

Whew.. at least Google doesn't force us to use Chrome in order to have a search result!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  20. Beelzebud (Satanas)

Beelzebud (Satanas) New Member

I'm just waiting for the inevitable news of Epic being swallowed up my Microsoft.