1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MapVoteX

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by ProAsm, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Wises

Wises New Member

hmm.. ok.. soo.. the mapvote will only load max 220 maps.. therefore the limit is still realistically maximum 6600 or 220 per gametype :)

which is plenty..

2. Wises

Wises New Member

with opengl.. test that newer version with your ut.. and test some of the newer directx ones as well.. :)

3. Wises

Wises New Member

i always use opengl 3.7 and also.. it is way better then dx.. as in .. faster to load and switch between window / fullscreen modes.. (alt+enter)

;)

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I don't want to get too complicated, as is the multi foldernames is already pretty much over the top.
    You have no problem with these things as you are a very go get em guy but most admin out there, if its not simple and plug and play they don't use it.
    I see your point with the DM-A* etc but its getting complicated.
    Maybe I should even limit the MapFolders to 3 max.

5. Wises

Wises New Member

i guess you already knew this lil trick.. re: clientside .log debugging.. but..

console > showlog

brings it up.

6. Wises

Wises New Member

lawls.. @ go get em guy :)

yes i could see the complications.. also must always go back to the ole saying.. K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid...

:)

a wise man also said .. it is not all the things that you put into something that makes it perfect. but rather the things you remove from it later which makes it so...

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

OpenGL is nice but it has it's downfalls.
    In my case the tops of the faces square frame is missing in SmartDM, whereas with Direct3D everything is in place and where it should be.
    When playing online, I find OpenGL to be better as it is less prone to graphic lag.

Hell I was looking at my UTLogit.ini tonight and I see some guys really get carried away with resolutions of 1920 x 1680 :)

8. Wises

Wises New Member

hehe.. new era of big assed screens.. and tv's ;)

if you added anthchecker to your server it will also log the renderers as well.

9. Wises

Wises New Member

remember to fix that next version lol.

10. Wises

Wises New Member

had to use ?Game=UnrealShare.DeathMatchPlus?Map=DM-Tutorial.unr to start up , but after that all good..

the doubleups are gone which is great.

now only the tutorial maps and other non game related maps remain in Maps Folder.

all others have been moved into for now 2 sep folders.

if I can get that DynamicPackageLoader to some how work with this.. I will add SLV / Bombing run / Jail Break and other gametypes into the Mix as well.

Welldone.. Good work.

11. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Actually with the new recognition of the Tutorial maps on startup, it does not matter what GameClass you use.

I just use the standard.
    Code:
    ucc server DM-Tutorial?Game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=MapVoteX101h.MapVoteX Log=Server.log

Then I just make sure I have my RA name in the place:
    MVGameName=Rocket Arena DeathMatch
    Else it will startup where it last left off, although that too is not a bad thing.

12. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

LOL... just playing around and I see I can set paths and read paths in code.
    However adding a path in front of a MapName also has it's problems when coming to the maplist etc.

For instance you can start a game as follows:

ucc server C:\Temp\UT\DM-Liandri.unr?Game=whatever

I can also add the path in the code using double backslashes \\Temp\\ etc
    Forward slashes don't work in the code.

Anyways I'll fiddle with this and see.

I have people coming this weekend from the UK so not much is gonna get done.

13. Wises

Wises New Member

awesome.. no worries , have a break :) you deserve it !

14. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Just playing with these internal code paths for maps etc.
    Looks like this may be a better way to go, than what we have atm.

Currently we put the FolderName= as Maps/DM1 for instance then the code changes the Paths= in the UT.ini file.
    The downside with this method is any maps in the Maps folder will be seen.
    Another downside is I'm not too happy about changing the Paths in the UT.ini file etc as it is possible that it does not actually write and crash goes the server.
    Once it is crashed I don't think the Admin will know how to get it going again as he'd have to manually add the path in the UT.ini file.

Now lets look at what is different and what is possible with doing it in the code.

1. All the existing Map folders can stay as is, with all the maps in the Maps folder as normal.
    2. We don't touch the Paths= in the ini file at all, so if currently there are several Map folders they can stay also.

We still add where the Maps are for this Game in the MapFolder=Maps\\DM1 only difference is, it uses a double backslash.
    Now ONLY the maps in that folder will be listed in the Votermenu and none of the maps in the original Maps folder will be seen or listed.
    The only downside of doing it this way is we cannot add multiple folders in the MapFolder= as we currently can.

So the difference is:
    Old way - No maps must be in default Maps folder.
    New way - Keep everything as original because they just get ignored as if the don't exist unless the MapFolder="" ie, blank.
    Old way - Can have several folders to look for maps.
    New way - Can only have 1 folder, the one that is listed in the MapFolder=
    Old way - Writes information to the UT.ini file which could cause a mishap.
    New way - Nothing changes in any files safe guarding the Admin from any mishaps.
    Old way - Uses a single forward slash in path.
    New way - Uses double backslashes in the path.

We're going to have to think about this :)

15. Wises

Wises New Member

hmm.. idk

i think that u are right in the sense that dynamically writing to the .ini could cause problems one day.. ie; if thr server.ini is locked or... in use by some other application..

but personally don't mind that.. if it works.
    as long as it's well documented in the Troubleshooting section of the readme.. i don't see a problem.

also.. admins arn't all that thick.. and will usually find the problem.. or ask on the forums.. for help.
    in which case someone will help.

idk about the new method.. unless it has added advantages aside from 'possibly crashing' due to a freak incident..

also with the old method.. if possible.. put a check in. looking for the path= in the .ini

16. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Unfortunately looking to see if a path= is legal or if it exists etc is not possible which if possible would solve a zillion problems.
    Unfortunately the Level.GetMapName is not anywhere in the code and sits in a C++ Header somewhere in a .DLL which we don't have access to else I could change the way it works but like I say, no access :(

I have completely converted 101h to work the new way and I must say it does work very well, like here I have complete control on what goes on.
    The only downside is I cannot address more than one folder which is not really a train smash.

Most the games, like standard CTF or DOM or Assault, you just select MapFolder="" or MapFolder="Maps" which will the load whatever is in the standard Maps folder or any other folder that the Paths= is pointing to in the ut.ini file.

I'll go now and put together a 101h that you can try and compare and like I say, with 101g that you now have, I feel I don't have control because I have to set the Paths= in the ini BEFORE the level changes over else I cannot read the maps, and that's where the wheels fall off, because if I could check somehow to see if it has done it, that would solve a problem but you can't, there just is no way, so you rely on it actually happening.
    Whereas with the new way, you don't care 2 hoots whether it happened or not because you ain't gonna use it anyways :)

Be back soon... got myself a double Glenfiddich single malt here that I'm consuming while I code :)

17. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok try this for size.

The MapFolder syntax remains the same, in other words still use the forward slash as ini files I discovered do not like backslashes.

So as before: MapFolder="Maps/DM1" for instance.

The code will convert the forward slashes to back slashes.

All your maps can go back in the Maps folder as before and unless the MapFolder="" or MapFolder="Maps", the default folders will be ignored.

http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/mvx101h.zip

Oh! seeing you are now inputing quite a significant amount I've added you to the credits if that is ok with you :)

18. Wises

Wises New Member

was going to suggest using code to convert the "/" to "\\" but thought better not push it lol.. so glad you incorporated it.

also... credits all good.. if you could use my other alias which is recognised on UA instead Back4More as even i myself do-not like this current one.

is the bane of my life lol and a new branding will be coming up soon.. where i ditch it all together.

got a Q. for u..

we were talking about trains being 1024? chars long.. and how you only wanted to send 1 train to clients..

how does this work with 220 maps @ 10chr$ + 220 prefixes @ 3-4 chars.. + assumably 220 suffixes @ 4 chars.. ?

all of that info would easily exceed the trains capacity/limits surely?

19. Wises

Wises New Member

i guess iam trying to see if later on there maybe an easy way to send maplists on gametypeselect.. perhaps when a better system is incorporated.

----edit

perhaps now there is someway for the server to pickup and write the contents of the maps folders to an .ini or something..

then on request from clients ... send that list to clients or something.. allowing of course for dynamic lists loading.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  20. Wises

Wises New Member