1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MapVoteX

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by ProAsm, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Wises

Wises New Member

BTW: Nice work on the DefaultMutators= section.. works as intended A+

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Wises

Wises New Member

Probably a big ask .. but along the same line's as the using external maps folder scenario.. was going to start a new thread for this.. but will chance it here..

... in another thread posted by MrLoathesome from ut99.org but posted here ;
    http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2597106&postcount=16

he raised another point which has been a long time problem in UT..

that is the fact that any/all mutators / actors & packages (specfically) need to be sent on connect regardless of the GameType being played...

therefore if the Group is playing DM.. the server still needs to send all the other Stuff for CTF etc etc .. in order for them to play 1 or 2 rounds of DM ..

now there are a few mods out there which allow for the dynamic loading of Packages/Actors.. here:http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?search=dynamic&dir=&searchMode=f

however they are buggy (or were buggy with previous voting systems)..

I am wondering.. Beseeching even.. if it maybe a possibility to embed / incorporate into MVX the ability to ;

Dynamically Load Actors/Packages for Given GameTypes ?

therefore only sending .. the relevant files pertaining to the gametype being played.. if another gametype is then voted.. it will then send those files .. and so forth..

big ask I know.. and maybe if not a possibility .. be interesting to see if it works with one of the above mod's for now.

only mentioned this because I would like to setup an SLV "GameType" in the future.. my fav GameType.. all round.

cheers.
    :rolleyes:

3. Wises

Wises New Member

another small bug.. with RepeatLimit=0 (or disabled) I can't re-vote for same map currently being played..

cheers.

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok, before I go into the problems of your startup I have now changed it and made it a lot simpler.
    Your server can have any GameClass now but the server must start with one of the Tutorial.unr maps.
    You have DM-Tutorial.unr for DM and TDM, CTF-Tutorial.unr for CTF games and so on.
    MVX now looks for these maps rather and if found knows it a server startup and then switches to the appropriate game and sets the paths etc.

Yes that is correct and that is a UT thing, I cannot do anything about that.

No, UT code cannot see paths, only UT C++ Headers can which we don't have access to.

Yes it is but introduces a hell of a lot of code to keep track of what map is what and how many votes this that or the next map has.
    It just takes way too much code just to do a small job, maybe later, I'll see if there is a easy way.

I'll have a look into this but I don't think it is possible.

At the end of the day regarding map folders you quite right in saying the only maps that must reside in your UT default Maps folder must be:
    All the Tutorial.unr maps, the Entry.unr, UT-Logo-Map.unr and those EOL- maps and that's it.
    With one of the Tutorial.unr as your server startup map, all works quite cool here.

ucc server DM-Tutorial?Game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=MapVoteX101g.MapVoteX

Regarding the non required packages that always download to the client regarless of what he is playing.
    Yes, this can be done but only as far as the ServerPackages= is in the Server.ini file.
    I will tackle this as a seperate Serverside mod only or maybe add it to the UTCmds mod as it's very tricky and we will need a ini file where the Admin can add what Serverpackages are required for what game etc.
    Adding or removing multiple items in the Server.ini file is not so simple as it is in an ordinary ini file.
    Like with the Paths= it's a flippin nightmare.
    You have to first load all of them into memory, decide which you want to keep and what you want to add or remove and then re-write the whole lot back to the ini, in one shot, else you end up removing them all and the server crashes.

Regarding the RepeatLimit=0 ok mmm I must admit I did not test that, will look into it.

Otherwise glad you like it :)

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok, I had a quick look at the RepeatLimit=0 problem.
    Not being able to vote for the current map being played is by default and has nothing to do with the RepeatLimit.
    If you check back on a previous beta like 101c which was before we had RepeatLimits, it did that also.
    You think I should change that, so that if RepeatLimit=0 then one can vote for the map you are currently playing ?

** Edit **

Just playing now and you must make 100% sure your DefaultMap= is in the MapFolder= else your server just hangs :(
    Also the CityIntro.unr must be in the original Maps folder.

It's quite a new mindset but once you have everything organised its pretty cool, and like you say it's a hell of lot easier to move files around than filling miles of maplists with mapnames :)

** Edit 2 **

LOL, just having a look at how BDB keeps track of the top maps.
    He has 6 different classes with 4 separate ini files (History1-4) just to keep track of 4 games.
    Can you imagine what is needed for 30 games at 220 maps per game :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Wises

Wises New Member

ok :)

re: Dynamic Package Loader - have a look at this;

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/...ds/&file=DynamicPackageLoader_V2_20060202.zip

the source is available and for memory this doe's both actors/packages simultaniously ,

readme below;

also see;

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/...erverSide_Mods/&file=DynamicPackageLoader.zip (an earlier version)
    http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/...=ServerSide_Mods/&file=DynamicActorLoader.zip (just an Actor Loader I assume / not tested)

re: default=0 , yes please allow for revote of the current map , if however the admin set's RepeatLimit=1 then that map should be in the 'Not Allowed List' imo.

re: Map Counter concept..

Because the mutator know's I assume which map is being played is there no way to export that map 'Name' to the .ini and update an integer each time it's played?

now hypothetically thinking here , but with custom prefixe's it would have been easier to know what actual custom gametype was being played as well because ie;

RA-Deck16][ , CS-Deck16][ , SA-Deck16][
    "vs"
    DM-Deck16][ , "Rocket Arena";
    DM-Deck16][ , "ComboShock";
    DM-Deck16][ , "Sniper Arena";

however if the mutator on load would simply say ..

Q. what map and CustomGameType is currently playing?..

A. DM-Deck16][, "RocketArena"

Server checks "Top 300 Maps List.ini" which read's;

Code:
    MapTop[x]=(Map="DM-Deck16][",CustomGameType="Rocket Arena",Count=2

*Server See's "DM-Deck16][" & "Rocket Arena" and increases Count++ for MapTop[x]

if the server doe's not see this info , then it appends it to the end of the .ini .. in theory..
    however based on weather the last entry >=2 ... it will either add or drop that one from the list.
    as the list is now full... :\

now to chuck a spin in on this.. it would be better if the checks were done nearer to the end of the round ... because, when custom games are voted the admin set's which map should start by default.. however .. players ofter only switch to a particular GameType to choose another map .. Aha.. not always.. but quite often ;) therefore - because the actual map that loads may not be the actual map played for an entire round.. it should not get an increase in "Count++" simply because it is only a stepping stone to the actual map that the players wish to play under that particular GameType.

*Cognitively thinking here (always outside the box this chappy) lmao..

[X]Flag this.. just seen a possible error.. but I will explain the concept..
    was thinking that the .ini could have 30 Separate area's for the top map's
    however .. if the admin changes the CustomGameTypeName then the server would skip it and it would become invalid / void / waste of space.

>Back on Track @ server-start (each round I guess) ... the "TopMaps.ini" could be sorted.. by the "Count" variable.. so in theory again lol.. the highest MapTop[x] ~ Count should be at position #1 down to Map 100 which would be say 2-3 votes.

perhaps based on the fact that one could be running 30 GameTypes perhaps allow for 300 map's? I guess.. or Top 10 for Each GameType.

idk...

is something like that possibly easier.. ?.. idk if it is even possible.. :\

I assume you've explained alot of this to me before.. but I can't come to grips with why.. the ucc.log file can't be imported back into the engine (so to speak) and value's manipulated based on these input's.. I mean mod's can write to the .log file easily.. so I would assume that they could also read from the same .log file.

therefore allowing for.. basic checks.. and possible outcomes , based on the information received from these .logs.

again idk (I don't know) ...

re: UTcmds.. just wondering..

could you add please .. or leave it opensource perhaps so that I / we could add.. a few more cmd's?

I would like to add in few !cmds like for example !countries which would allow players to see where everyone is from .. It is a rather annoying Question .. which I tried to address in SmartDM but it never caught on.. *Caughs.. the country (PREFIX) thing.. *Caughs

with !countries it would simply 'mutate iptocountry' which every server has everywhere , excluding the odd 1 or 2..

for Admin's we sometimes need to use 'IptoHost' which shows hostnames and ip's of all players.

some other cmd's would be;

!bv or !behindview (obviuos)

!acemanage for mutate acemanage manage or what ever it is..

few cmd's for pure and other mods that are quite popular.. and so forth.

Anyways.. is a Great Project and I feel that when it is complete .. many will appreciate all the hard work / effort and ingenuity you have put into it.

and Admin's I think will like the idea of 'Drag n Drop' versus '2 weeks of typing and continuous errors when mis-spelt maps are encountered lmao.

cheers.

btw: I think ive bombarded you with enough IDEA's for this.. and shall now sit back and see what you bring forth and how she pan's out..
    When a new beta is ready.. no hurry I will test it and provide some feedback.
    until then

take care :)

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I started doing this but where does it stop ?
    Players play 100 different maps a day on 10 different gametypes.
    It's just not worth the trouble so 1 admin can see what his top 10 or so played maps are.
    For that we have to keep track of a possible 6000 odd maps or more, it's just not worth the trouble, maybe in a standalone mod :)
    Now there is a good startup mod for you to do, just use the 6 History classes from LA13 as is, and drive them with a small mutator ;)

You keep on about these Virtual mapnames, it is a total friggin nightmare keeping track of all this stuff, study LA13's code and see for yourself, it's plain madness.
    MVX uses game names which you can write to the scoreboard, can be read by SmartDM and colorized.
    MVX is real, it's now, can be used by an idiot, LA13 you need to be a rocket scientist to keep track of who is who in the zoo with all the virtual non existing stuff :)
    If you have 10 games that use Deck16 then put the map in the default Maps folder, simple!
    Virtual prefixes are ok if you only have 2 to 4 games at any one time (LA13) now to have 30 games.... no I'm not going there.

Ok tell me how to do this in LA13 as I don't know it that well, maybe it has merit.
    1. You have 300 DM maps in your Maps folder.
    2. You only want 100 of those maps displayed as RA-Whatever for Rocket Arena in the VoteMenu not all 300
    3. How do I do that ?

8. Wises

Wises New Member

theres 2 ways..

1.) manually input them like you used to do. into the maplists area.. which pertains to the customconfig() setting.. ie for RA.

2.) Rename the 100 maps using BulkRename utility.. free.. and only chsnge the Prefixes DM- to RA- , and then use just a filter to load those maps.

that is one of the main problems with MVLA13 .. is its limitation and labourious methods in which it needs to do everything..

btw.. MVLA13 was made by Cr@tos from leagueassault and was built upon BDB's mapvote.. it used to be obfuscated.. the original MVLA13 (Still is).. however Kelly/Gopostal/JackGriffin/UTtrustedplayer deobfuscated it and added in the ability to extend the maplists.. and shared the sources which i assume you have for version 2+..

:)

ps: dw .. (don't worry) every man and his dog has tried contacting him (Cr@tos) over the last 10 years to no avail.. so he's either 'Dead n Buried' or forsaken Unreal altogether..

other mod's he built were;

DynamicPackageLoader / ZP103 (Pure Based)

and several others.

9. Wises

Wises New Member

.. did you manage to sort the doubleups of the maps.. problem.. or do the defaultmaps still show up in all gametypes using the same gameclass?

if we can get that resolved and the server loads properly etc then a new beta would be appreciated.

10. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Not sure what you mean here by doubleups.
    If is that the default Maps folder will show in all cases, no, there is not much I can do about that.
    The Admin needs to remove all maps from his default Maps folder except the Tutorial maps, Entry and CityInro.
    Then devide up his DM, TDM,RA,Sniper etc and put the necessary DM maps into them.
    What I'm looking at is the possibility to add more than one folder into the MapFolder=
    As often a game, could use DM maps from 2 or more folders.
    MapFolder="Maps/DM1,Maps/DM2,Maps/DM3" for instance.

LOL, I've been messing about with the redeemer :)
    I made a XDeemer Arena which is part of my Jopack4 where while flying, and using the crouch/jump keys you can go slower or faster.
    The slowest speeds almost stops you.
    It is great fun :)

11. Wises

Wises New Member

ahh kk do you have the download link for the new version g or h.. I still have f

um.. yeah the version where all the default game maps need to be in the Maps/Folder

also have you ever played.. SLV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflAdGmMjtQ

12. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I'll have a link a bit later, not quite done yet.
    Small problem with multifolders in MapFolder= but will get it going :)

Yes, I remember StangeLove, LOL
    There were quite a few similar ones at the time.

13. Wises

Wises New Member

akk yep cool :)

no worries.. other version works ok. for time being :)

extra maps can be a feature for time being.

14. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok here you go.

http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/beta/mvx101g.zip

RepeatLimit fixed when 0 or disable.

Multi paths seperated with comma ',' allowed in MapFolder=
    Eg: MapFolder="Maps/DM1,Maps/DM2,Maps/Sniper"
    Up to 10 map folders can be added now.

Server Startup must now have its map as DM-Tutorial or one of the Tutorial maps.
    Just make sure the MVGameName is one of your games and not blank or something :)

Oh btw, don't let it create a new ini file as I forgot to remove my MapVoteX.ini from the system folder when compiling so it adds it into the defaultproperties :)

** Edit **

Just playing here now I see one need all the DefaultMaps to be in the Maps folder also else they don't show up on the image in the votemenu when you click on them.
    Maybe best to have as many default maps the same so you dont have to many maps in the folder :)
    Hell it's a pity one cannot see paths from code... will go look again :)

** Edit 2 **

Silly me, silly me.....
    These mapfolder paths are serverside only so that the server can have different maps for different games.
    The client still has everything as normal, so everything is in Maps or Cache folders and the images are taken from the Client and not the server, so that solves that problem :)

** Edit 3 **

Well been testing it on my server the last 30 minutes and once setup all works very well :)

** Edit 4 **

Just playing here I see there quite a few differences whether you play in Direct 3D, OpenGL or Software Rendering.
    OpenGL is the UT recommended mode but I see bits and pieces missing, like the top of the faces in SmartDM and a few other items.
    I must admit though, the game plays a lot smoother on OpenGL compared to Direct 3D and Windows mode well, that's something else.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  15. Wises

Wises New Member

10 map folders?.. do you mean per gametype or for all 30 gametypes?

not following... there

cheers for fixing repeat limit thing.

re: renderers.. get the updated ones from ;
    http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

also here is a tweak guide to get better results; http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373

with the paths thing... bummer.. i guess Epic done that to protect clients from ...

will do a few tests later today.

16. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Per game.
    Eg:
    Code:
    CustomGameConfigs[10]=(bEnabled=True,MapFolder="Maps/DM0,Maps/DM1,Maps/Sniper,Maps/DMLarge,Maps/DMHuge,Maps/Extra,Maps/RA,Biggest,Whatever,OtherMaps",DefaultMap="DM-Deck16][.unr",GameClass="Botpack.DeathMatchPlus",GameName="XDeemer Arena",bGameName=True,Mutators="Jopack4.XDeemerArena",Settings="InitialBots=5,Minplayers=8,MaxPlayers=16")

Oh btw, you giving me urls to pages that have lots of jargon on them.
    What is it you want me to look at ?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  17. Wises

Wises New Member

the jargon is relevant to what you were saying.. re: opengl/dirextx etc.

on the first link / doenload the opengl3.7 driver.. which is greatly enhanced version from what you have.

the second link... has info on tweaking that driver and getting the best settings for the driver.

so .. whats the limit now on map lists?.. has it now gone to 6600*10 (66,000)?

based on (220*30)*10

18. Wises

Wises New Member

also.. because it can use 10 folders , each holding 220 maps .. does that now mean that the mapvote can load 2200 individual map names per gametype?

19. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes, if you put it like that then each game can use that many maps although regardless, the Votemenu and only show 220 :)

Regarding the OpenGL stuff etc.
    All nVidia graphic cards and drivers always have the latest OpenGL updates etc and the reason I will not have an Intel or ATI card on my property :)
    OpenGL is great, I did a lot of research way back during the Glide (3dfx) days and it is a super system.
    Unfortunately M$ never supported it and always challenged it with it's Direct 3D which won purely because of the Windows operating system.

20. Wises

Wises New Member

appended to that^

perhaps there should be 10 separators between lists?
    or folders in this case.. maybe cannot be done..but what i mean is..

[DM1]
    maplist
    [DM2]
    maplist
    etc
    etc

in the actual mapvotex menu.

-separators-

scenario:

foldername=Deathmatch (A-F)
    ...maps starting with DM-A* to DM-F*

foldername=Deathmatch (G-L)
    ... etc

in mapvote it could have titles (foldernames)
    then under each heading.. the maplists from that folder..

also.. because the lists could potentially be huge.. a longer timeout for voting would be needed presumably.