1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Maps that should not be reviewed

Discussion in 'Reviewer Comments' started by ArcadiaVincennes, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ArcadiaVincennes

ArcadiaVincennes Level Designer

I was shocked this week when I checked my review request list and found a review request for DM-Deck16-ultamegareeeedemerme.

Reviewing a map such as that is a waste of my time, and the time of the people who read the review. Whoever requested the review may be chuckling softly to themselves but I am not amused. The author intended the map as a joke so I treated the review as a joke. I hope, despite the comments posted to him on his map page, that he endeavors to continue mapping and I look forward to a serious map attempt by him.

There are maps that get posted here that don't really need a review. I reviewed the Wolf3D map because I was asked to. In my opinion, that map did not need a review. Th author made that map as a self-fulfilling project and posted it so others could take a trip down memory lane. He did not need to know how good his texturing was, how good his botpathing was, if he sert the door triggers right, if he zoned it properly. He posted it because he could share something he made with the community. And that really what we're all here for isn't it?

DM-Deck16-ultamegareeeedemerme was 99% retail and 1% custom. How can I score the author on his work when I only had 1% to work with?

In my opinion, a review is not a review of a map. It is an attempt to constructively critisize an author's artistic vision, their skills with the Unreal Editor, sometimes their skills third-party programs like Photshop or Maya/3DSMax, and how how they blends all of it together to produce something fun and, hopefully, beautiful.

How do you expect me to do that for DM-Deck16-ultamegareeeedemerme?
    I could do it for the Wolf3D map so I did but with some self-imposed restrictions.

So please - whoever asked me to review DM-Deck16-ultamegareeeedemerme - please don't do that again. You wasted 1/2 hour of my life that I cannot get back and I am a little resentful of that. Sometimes, you can let the comments on the map page speak for themselves.

2. Xiphon

Xiphon Yours truly

You know, I've looked through the database more than once and your right. I've seen so many maps that are really nothing but the original map with a vehicle in it or a extra weapon. The stupid part about it is, the people who make these maps demand reviews (and eventually get them) when a reviewer's time would much better be spent reviewing something worthwhile. I noticed a lot of other mappers using reviews as a way to settle arguments (look at DM-dimentia... it's one i made, and the arguments just never ended untill Arcadia reviewed it. I was glad when they finally stopped bickering about why the map is the way it is)

If there was a way to screen all this stuff, that would nice, cause there's just to many people that do this stuff here at Nali City, and just about everywhere else...

3. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Don't worry about it too much despite the waste of your time....

Quite frankly I don't think you should be entirely shocked considering some of the behaviour around here....
    ...exactly and it's incredible how often people miss the point around here (and I'm not referring to the threadstarter)........
    ....I couldn't agree more.

4. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

I agree , DM-Deck16-ultamegareeeedemerme was a joke or something , the 'guy' in sort of , might be around 11 yrs old .

There is not a way to remove a request from the review list? I am sure it's the kiddy author himself that requested it , or,Let's just hope Ice-dancer will not review it.

Tooooo much of these.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  5. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

Reviewing bad maps is a good way to vent, or just have fun with it. About half of my old reviews were 0-3 score POS maps. For some reason, Luquado deleted all the 0-3 reviews and the associated maps from the database. Unfortunately the maps were added back in WITHOUT the reviews/scores. So some got re-reviewed and commented on. A huge waste of time just to somehow "improve Nali's image".
    However, if you think about it, without the 0-3 scores, NC's average review score becomes higher and it looks like we over-rate maps. Which is exactly what happened. And that didn't help our image either.
    Oh-Well

6. ArcadiaVincennes

I realize now I actually forgot the most important part of my diatribe above...

People - please think twice before requesting a review!

There. I'm done. Move along, move along....

7. MassChAoS

MassChAoS echo "NaliCity";

This map has invoked my wrath. If you find any other maps that are undeserving of reviews or comments, the admins know and they can make it so it will never be reviewed or commented on.

8. Hourences

Hourences New Member

You dont have to review a map if someone requested it to you, you can simply deny the request if you have no interest in the map or whatever
    Only review what you like or what you think deserves a review :)
    When I was still reviewing I occasionally checked all the comments the author made on NC and if he appeared to flame a lot or being ungratefull I simply didnt review his map

9. ArcadiaVincennes

Thanks you guys.

I am aware that I can turn down reviews and I almost excercised this right with the latest one.

But I really just wanted to appeal to the community here to be a little more thoughtful when putting a request in our bin.

I went on a little rant instead of doing what I actually intended to which was just to encourage people here to be a little more thoughful befroe pressing the request review button.

10. quillion

quillion Q-Basics

Well, this is news to me, i didnt think staff took notice of the 'request a review' thing:p Anyhoo, just review stuff that is worth it and not this sort of
    'beep'.

11. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

That's the money shot........

That's what I call a sensible approach! :tup:

12. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

It explain alot about the map ......

13. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Aagh perfect example

Wich proves that "reviews" done by "the Site" should be above average maps.
    Also the lesser are not left out because of the regular user comments.

Another words there should bee maps that curl your hair back on the front page ,new ones every time.
    (not to mention this would bring alot of the old players back and mappers )
    Givem somthing (the high end mappers) a place to drop there maps too,use a checkbox while uploading to make non commentable.

Then have links to send people to a different section to "vent" from the user comments being available (like we all like to do for a terrible map) but hey no one said they had upload that mofo either !.

Just so we get this straight,I would also vote for some funky maps,cause each level has somthing to offer in it's own way,and one shouldn't be to quick to wright Em off.
    ........................................................................................................

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  14. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Nah ,Rant? It's how things get done,and you bring up the issues that prolly can be solved.

Another thing that map of the month there shouldd gets its glory for 2 weeks max a month is too long.......

15. Xiphon

Xiphon Yours truly

You know, you HAVE to vent sometime, or you can go into these fits where you just snap on somebody, I know I'm getting close to that point...

people will argue and say your being ungratefull or your being a jerk or something, but if you're nice to everyone, they walk all over you forever. (Oh, It's Xiphon, he can work my shift today... "oh, you going to have to work an extra 3 hours today weather you like it or not...) sorry, i know I'm ranting now...

Anyway, I to was thinking about that map of the month thing. Would it be possible to redisign the site a little to have more than one? like, the top 5 for this month or this week or something? it would catch people's eyes a little more

16. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

The more you map , the more you become great ,

But , sometimes , ppl will not admire your effort and give you low scores.

Welcome on nalicity , heh.

17. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

18. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Good Point !

Sounds good to me too.

4 to 8 maps ,max, per month.I'd say (but better ones only)

19. Hourences

Hourences New Member

We already have a hotlist...which is exactly that, a top 5-8-10-whatever of the last month.
    A month is not long at all and its the regular way to go, most review and community sites have it. No site has a "map of the two week". MOTTW...

20. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Map of the 2 week LoL