1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mapping question about EAS-INF-DS-Arabnight

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by smeerkat, Jan 29, 2006.

1. smeerkat

smeerkat Hello, old friend...

The terrain brush in DS-Arabnight, is almost white when highlighted. I've never seen this color brush before. What is that? Is that a result of the TerraGen technique?

2. smeerkat

Ok, how about an easier question? :p

How are ladders done in INF? Some special texture?

3. Lethal Dosage

Lethal Dosage Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer

ok the simplest thing to do is once you've built the physical ladder (or used the INF deco ladder) is to build a stairs brush where the step length is 4, step height is 20, and make the width as wide as you like, best the same width as the ladder. You set the number of steps to be enough to go all the way up the ladder.

Now position the stairs so that it is just of the ground and not touching anything, best about 2 to 4 units.

Then go to Brush, Add Special, and in the check boxeson the left, only select Invisible and set it as Solid in the center section. Then click Ok, that will add the brush in as an invisible object that the player will collide with.

Only problem is that bullets will also collidewith it so it is best to recess the ladder into a wall or put it somewhere out of the way.

This bit isn't necessary but it helps
    Now change the texture to one that is invisible, like the Red or Green texture in the Botpack package (the default UT package that comes up). This isn't necessary but these textures stand out and helps to distinguish them when in UEd from regular brushes in the Textured View. If you select an invisible texture you will still be able to view the brush in UEd unless you turn Realtime Preview on (the joystick icon).

Hope this helps, i types this out quickly while cooking my dinner, so if i left bits out or have questions, just ask.

4. smeerkat

Yes, I've used the Invisible Collision Hull trick in my UT maps, I was hoping INF had the "sticky" ladder texture like Deus Ex. :)

5. Lethal Dosage

Not that i know of, but i may be wrong, best to ask around, cus i don't know how to do alot of stuff either

6. smeerkat

Thanks for the reply, though.:tup:

There will be many more n00b questions before I'm through.

For instance: how do I put the thick black smoke, or the red flare?

edit:

I'm just checking out the EAS Sniper actor. Default aimerror = 0.8. So to make it less accurate, I would increase that number? Can I go above 1.0?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  7. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Open the map and look at the actors in the map.

Ladders: I have a page in my notebook that I can scan for you. Typical ladder is invisible stares. They suck. If you can avoid using a ladder, do so.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger -=]N[=-

I tryed looking around for a ladder actor for you, but I couldn't find one. The Third Reich has a convinent actor that lets you place a ladder where you want so you have to press a key to climb it, and not automatically like stairs. Now that I think about it, I don't think one INF map has a ladder that you can climb manually. I guess the actor doesn't exist.

9. Alpha_9

Alpha_9 Infiltration lead level designer

No, we never implemented a ladder actor in INF, sorry. Demo is right, avoid ladders if possible. Otherwise I recommend using a setup of invisible block actors rather than an invisible stair brush, it's much easier on the BSP (i.e. helps avoid HOM's & other BSP errors when you rebuild), though it takes more time to put together. Open up EAS-INF-BorderTown for reference, it has a couple ladders done this way.

10. smeerkat

I did, I can't find what's generating the black smoke and the red flare. It's not a UT smokegen.

11. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Ladder options:

Invisible mover
    Pro: Can limit speed to a realistic level
    Con: Only one player may go up at a time and are limited to going up or down

Invisible stairs/blocks
    Pro: Players may move up and in most cases down freely.
    Con: Players tend to teleport to the top.

Nitrogen zone
    Pro: Player may move up and down at will and speed is realistic.
    Con: Swimming animation

Low gravity zone with low terminal velocity
    Pro: Players may move up or down at realistic speed
    Con: Player cannot stop or reverse direction in the middle of the ladder

12. smeerkat

I'll definitely avoid using ladders wherever possible. If necessary, I'll use the Invisible Collision Hull technique. I've used it in a couple of UT maps.

13. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Those block bullets in many cases. That is probably the worst downside to collision hulls as a player can hide behind a ladder and keep from getting killed.

14. smeerkat

If the ICH is a stair brush, there's no way the player can get under the ladder.

15. Lethal Dosage

no, shooter is on one side of it, and you could take cover on the other side of it, where the invisible brush would block the bullets.

16. smeerkat

ah, I see. With a step length of 4 and step height of 20, I'd have to keep the ladder pretty short. Or put a brush on either side of the ladder texture.

17. Lethal Dosage

Yeah, but even then people can still take cover behind it.

I took a screenshot of it below.

See how the invisible brush blocks the bullets?

Attached Files:

18. smeerkat

Yes, I understand. I'm just saying I'd add a solid brush on either side of the ladder, like a pillar or something. So the pillar would block the bullets, not the ladder. :)

19. Lethal Dosage

Thats an idea, and it would also stop people who r just trying to run past the ladder from suddenly running head first into some invisible barrier and thinking WTF!! :lol:

Just be careful not to put too much clutter near the invisible brush as it will increase the risk of black holes and killing shadows and stuff

20. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Just don' put a ladder in, or try something new and differant like one of the alternatives that I pointed out.