1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Map on a moving train or ship?

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by takwu, Aug 1, 2008.

1. takwu

takwu cXp coder Tak®

Thanks to Killer about the Alpha Isle map and his idea about a tram, I thought of some crazy ideas...

What if there is a map where everyone is on a train that goes around a route. So you are moving really fast in one direction - if you jump u end up on the other end of the car when u land. if you played HL2 or something you'd know what I mean...

Not sure if Unreal engine can do something like that easily - you have to move a huge and detailed group of meshes around. HL definitely pulled it off. Not sure if you can even do any hacktrigger or decor (dp, gen, node) that is moving. Pretty sure cant do moving teleporters (they are set in space) but i could be wrong.

Still it'd be fun if you get knocked off or crushed when u're on the roof and the train goes thru a tunnel or some beams, like in all those movies.

Another idea is a cruise ship, battle ship, or pirate ship... bobs up and down, and you can jump ship, or ship to ship :D

Or a space ship like Dorian Gray, with a failing gravity field... (a knock-off of a level in Jedi Knight)

Anyway the idea is a moving map, in relation to the world's gravity. Would be fun if during a fight everyone loses their balance... or worse, their lunch! :D

Anyone seen that in any multiplayer game?

2. (GR)Killer

(GR)Killer ...

Need a few tram-like rides. Possibly make a HUGE map with different sections you can watch as you zoom by. Forest, lake, jungle, mountains with snow, etc. Maybe add a few small 1 player rides for 1 player (duh) that take you to DP and Gens.

The boat thing ride on alpha isle over the water was pretty fun and fast. If you can do one over the water, why not on rails showing the scenery? or possible a roller coaster kind of thing...up, down, loops, weeeeeeee *barf*

Maybe make the box glass and the doors open via hack triggers.

If only Shinzon was still map making for xmp...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. nb_steel

nb_steel Kill Xmp I Kill ¥ØÚ!!!

Final level of gears of war! I say that your on a train and everything blurs by really fast, but the main level is just a train, you can go from cart to cart. Each cart has different cover, and the train is just moving really fast the whole time. Jump out you die. That would be an AUSOME map. And the blue base is at one end of the train and you have to fight your way back to the other side. :redflag:

4. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

AS-HiSpeed of UT99 and AS-Convoy of UT2004? Quite nice movement simulations, especially zones in HiSpeed that pull you back when you jump down from the helicopter. Really easy to do, but it's not moving in reality. Could be possible to make moving things in reality, but only as transport I think. Still might sound good.
    Ship? AS-Frigate and DM-KGalleon @UT99 :p Not bobbing tho.
    What about JumpShips? Would be good for explaining the changes of nature.

5. takwu

takwu cXp coder Tak®

Yeah I immediately thought about force zones to similate a constant velocity. But that's a bit boring :( It's just like a wind that blows you in one direction all the time. Plus you'd have to move the surrounding somehow, probably just looping some textures in the same direction. In short, it's like how they shoot a similar scene for movies in the 70's or something (Superman?).

With a real moving structure, we can make it go up/down and turn left/right, which is the whole point: you don't know when the train will turn while you're fighting, unless you look ahead :D

Those "ship" maps sound more like islands, or just buildings in the water, if they don't move at all :( Again the ship idea is that it could be bobbing, tilting, and turning, making it harder for everyone to fight.

Hopefully one day we'll have a quality map that really does this properly.

BTW, the Alpha Isle floating platforms remind me of Mario Sunshine where there's a small boat that goes between the island and a tiny place in the middle of the sea. You had to take it because Yoshi can't swim :)

Also in Mario Sunshine is a rollercoaster in one of the boss fights. You have to shoot... err squirt, at the boss and the homing missiles locked on to you, while riding on the rollercoaster. Really really fun stuff :lol:

6. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

The ship's turning would have no effect - well, you're in the ship, so if everything turns, only the water level is affected... Could be wavy, but still I don't see too much point here.
    Train is better, but like it's said, it's really hard to make that many movers and if they always move, it starts working as Karma vehicles (they are moving static meshes too) and that means a great loss of performance... Ever wondered why there are so few vehicles in the stock XMP maps? Not even close to ONS of UT2004.

7. takwu

takwu cXp coder Tak®

So do you mean UT2004 would be able to handle the whole train?

8. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

If it's a vehicle :p But it apparently isn't, that is, there's something to do inside it. That would require a heck loads of attachments to the mover. And if it doesn't contain any strategical points, it can be made. Make a huge train static mesh and make it move. Just that players will have to spawn in "stations", other things will have to be like that too.