1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 Mango Map Pack Release

Discussion in 'Content Releases' started by inferyes, Apr 25, 2010.

1. inferyes

inferyes Spaced In

Original Thread: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21210&p=532955&viewfull=1#post532955

Mango Map Pack Release

Thanks for downloading the map pack. Mangos are tasty so I decided to name some maps after them. I also like kiwi but that is irrelevant.
    This map pack contains the maps:
    --- DM-Abandon
    --- DM-Afterburn
    --- DM-Forlorn

To install the map pack just move all the files to the directory:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps"
    Hopefully you won't have any problems with that.

THESE MAPS ARE UNCOOKED YOU CAN MAKE CHANGES AS YOU LIKE

Some quick descriptions of the maps.

--- DM-Abandon ---
    This is a map inspired by "Derelict" from halo 1. It's a large circular arena map with a focus on mid range combat and controlling the center. Most of the power weapons are around the edge of the map while the sniper and uDamage are dead center. Overall it's a great map for a few player and has a nice balance.

--- DM-Afterburn ---

This is a direct port of the BSP of Midship. The map isn't very pretty but it's a blast for 1v1. I personally whore'd the Shock Rifle to death on this map (and trust me SdaViS will vouch for me on that) and it was some great 1v1 with a good distribution of weapons. There is a uDamage at the center of the map but you will have do a rocket or impact jump to get to them.

--- DM-Forlorn ---
    This is a nice long rectangular map that hangs out over a ocean. The map has many levels with a good balance between CQC and mid range sniping. It also has many quick jump that can help to get you around the map faster but you need to be careful or your footing so you don't slip off. There is a super health in the top of the map but it requires a really good rocket jump to get too so it's a "risk vs. reward" kind of thing to go for it.

Images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to thank the people who helped out with the mod:

Pyong - Badkid proof testing.
    Sdavis - Getting beat 25 to 2 during a test. (RAGEQUIT)
    Flibit - Testing. And more testing. And because he put to much lube on his bone. (It's not a trombone I swear)
    Frain - For being 12 years old. Also someone give this poor African child a computer. ( That doesn't suck ) (Correction: He's actually a German Nazi but he's never eaten anything because I don't know)
    Teh M00kz - Not testing. But still being ****ing pro at this game.
    Ganon - For showing me cowboy bebop.
    Bungie - Various assets and models.
    Epic - Various assets and models.
    Mangos
    Pingas
    Battletoads
    My new computer, Intel i7 @ 3.75GHZ + Radeon 5850 1GB

And I'd also like to thank everyone at www.beyondunreal.com and www.modacity.net for all the help.

Download

2. inferyes

inferyes Spaced In

Comments? Feedback? I need something to improve on!

3. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

I would like to test your maps, however I am busy and out of space on this laptop, I have lots of downloaded maps which I need to sort out someday and I won't download anything for UT3, I didn't even download the latest Ball or Prometheus mods and didn't finish even earlier versions of them only the really first two epsiodes of ball and first episode of prometheus, the very old ones. Not to mention UT3 runs badly on this laptop and the GFX cannot be changed, it is integrated and doesn't have own memory. It works like charm with older games though, even UT2004 or Half Life 2 and its expansions(which are more recent), etc.

I hope someone gives you a feedback, I am very busy really with my own projects for the older games and UT3, I just don't find time for it anymore nowadays, hope it changes within some months.

The screenshots look cool though.

4. Godfrey.Payans

Godfrey.Payans Member

All three maps played smoothly for me, thanks, and will go into my regular playlist. I don't really know what to say about improvements; the usual things that I have trouble with in custom maps, like queasy textures, lack of health, stuck bots, poor frame rate, etc., are all fine here.

Maybe it could be easier to get the double-damage on Afterburn and the big health on Forlorn? I can't get the latter at all, as rocket jumping is impossible for me. On the other hand, if the difficulty makes the maps more interesting to better players, then so be it.

5. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

If they're to be judged as serious UT3 DM maps, design-wise I'd say the main critique for all three would be that they're rather symmetrical and repetitive; in each case, after about 30 seconds spent running over a quarter of the map or so, it feels like there's little left to explore. Applying more variety and creativity to the layout would greatly expand the possibilities for a map to excel in terms of gameplay. Indeed, while there are also a number of specific improvements that would help take these maps to the next level, improving the layout is fundamental to all of them.

6. inferyes

inferyes Spaced In

These are all designed to be small maps. The game play I was shooting for is similar to maps like "Rising sun" and "Sentinel". This was really a "Arena" map pack TBH.

Abandon could have used a bit more variation but it turned out how I designed it.

7. WedgeBob

WedgeBob XSI Mod Tool User

Mango...sounds yummy, and so are these maps...downloading.

8. WedgeBob

WedgeBob XSI Mod Tool User

Played the DM-Abandon map, and...boy, that was one of the better "close-quarter" maps I've ever played so far. Teleporters on each corner of the room, yeah...good thoughts in this one.
    Of course, Afterburn may be the best out of the three (I'm assuming that's the one with the glowing purple catwalks and the red skylight frames), but haven't gotten around to playing that one yet. That'll be later on today.

The way I see it, these are probably better maps than the Q3ProTourney4 remake, imo.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  9. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

Ah, fair enough. Given "arena" as the stated design goal, these each do well so far as they go.

To babble on, though.... You specifically mentioned Sentinel, which is good, as fwiw I find it a very worthy example to follow of non-symmetrical design in a relatively small size — it's still "arena" in a way but is packed with much more creative design per square foot than most maps of that genre. Its strongest points IMO:

(1) Nowhere are architecture and pathways repeated such that one can directly infer significant portions of the map's layout elsewhere based on the player's current view/location; this maximizes the "design density" and raises the perceived replay value. (2) Pickups are the clear basis for local architecture, which, when designed uniquely in each case, provides a logical organization and contributes to the flow of gameplay. (3) Geometrics are well tuned to the game's physical parameters; platforms and walls are situated just so as to reward the game's advanced movement, i.e. double-jump wall dodges and so forth, which further raises the perceived replay value as players' skills advance.

There's more to be said for Sentinel and other especially well conceived maps, but those are good starters. RisingSun, for its part, features these qualities to a much lesser extent, although it plays decently so far as it goes.

Those previous three points are a few principles that I think most experienced level designers would agree with; others I might suggest further would tend more toward personal preference. Personally I would suggest experimenting with lifts in lieu of teleporters wherever possible, as they better facilitate free-flowing play and z-axis action. In any case, within the bounds of your design goals I think your maps are well designed, particularly Afterburn, which despite the symmetry shows a lot of creativity IMO.

Thanks for sharing :)

10. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

all good arena maps!

Mangos are sweet like this map pack.:)

DM-Abandon >> detailed space base atmosphere above a dark planet, decent lighting and shadows, reflections don't move when moving, wide-open teleporter-driven gameplay with decent bots.

DM-Afterburn >> another space base map but this time above the Earth, pastel colors seem to work and good architecture, good flow and connectivity with OK bots, gameplay is most fun in this one of the three, probably especially online.

DM-Forlorn >> a base at sea in a cove with a Necris surprise on top if you can get to it. This one should be fun online also as the design gives it plenty of z-axis and flow for good gameplay. The bots are good and don't you fall in this one (I didn't until near the end of my first match with a tight score). I can't rocket jump either.

Afterburn is my favorite of the three with Forlorn a close second.