1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Making a starship simulator

Discussion in 'Programming' started by akn81, Mar 1, 2002.

1. akn81

akn81 New Member

Hi there, I'm kinda new to editing UT but I was wondering, would it be possible to code a spaceship simulator MOD, something like Bridge Commander but simpler, with the following main features:

1. The AI will pilot the ship to combat other ships, you can assume control or just give orders and sit back.

2. You can also hand command over to an AI First Officer and just walk around the ship, peeking out thru windows and seeing the action that is going on outside, or head over to Engineering and watch repairs in progress- sounds cool eh?

Anyway I was just wondering if it were possible. Thanks :)

2. WheatPuppet

WheatPuppet Corriganism

Yes, everything is possible, but whether or not it is a good idea is another peach entirely.
    Imagine the download sizes... /me cringes in fear.

3. aspie

aspie It's all good baby.

So you would have your space ship (brush) inside a big subtractive box, with enemies and allies (meshes) flying around attacking each other and you. Yes would'nt be too hard. Although you'd have to simulate a controlled rotational skybox as your spaceship would be stationary.

4. WheatPuppet

WheatPuppet Corriganism

I was thinking something similar, but with two zones instead of one. The first zone would be the ship's interior, i.e. halls, rooms, bridge, engines, and whatnot. The second is a very large sqare subtracted box that serves as the battlefield.
    The interior ship windows are linked somehow (like a security camera, zone portal type-thing) to a much smaller mesh in the battlefield box. Thus you have the illusion of having a ship when you actually don't.
    Other ships would not have the separate ship zone for them, only an AI controlled mesh.
    I imagine netplay could be produced by having multiple ship interiors, each of a separate team.

Still, if you want a really spiffy mod, you might want to put your project on hold for another engine (U2 or UT2 engine might be able to do it better, but your guess is as good as mine).

5. akn81

akn81 New Member

Hey that's a great idea man! Though somehow I feel there aren't enough tutorials to really help me implement it, most of them say to examine all the source code etc. myself and get there on my own- wow that would really take some time! ;)

But that's okay, I'll look at other engines and see how feasible they are, sometimes modding an engine to do something it wasn't designed for (like UT->Ship Sim) involves way too much work.

Thanks!

6. Raeled

Raeled Feuer Frei!

if there was a tutorial for everything, wich MOD would be special?

7. akn81

akn81 New Member

I didn't mean a tutorial for everything, how about a tutorial that takes u thru the process of designing a mod from start to finish? Like say a class-based mod with ingame menus (UTFortress), from design to coding.

One question I'm curious about- is it possible for a wall in a map to display a viewport()? That way I could do a 2 zone map like WheatPuppet suggested, only with the windows on the port side looking out to a big wall which shows the action going on on the port side of the smaller mesh.

8. Raeled

Raeled Feuer Frei!

ther are portals

9. akn81

akn81 New Member

Can you tell me how to implement it please?

Ok, I understand that its possible to draw portals (as in a viewport from another player) on a canvas, but can I do that on a wall?? I can't seem to find any info on that possibility.

I'd appreciate any help.

10. Raeled

Raeled Feuer Frei!

i was talking (not really talking acctually :) ) about the zone portals

like the one in that little tiny DM map in ut

11. akn81

akn81 New Member

Which map? Please understand I don't see how I can use zone portals to do what I want to do, so if you have an idea on how to use it, gimme more details man :)

12. Raeled

Raeled Feuer Frei!

i think it was DM-Fractal