Make Unwheel a mod? Not gametypes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GlassBoy

Nano-augmented Modder
Jan 6, 2004
Could the next version of UnWheel be an excecutable mod, instead of a bunch of custom gametypes? The reason I ask for this is so that we can have our own controls bound to keys for turbo boost, flip over, recover, etc. and it won't interfere with the other controls that i use for other mutators, because there will be a seperate user.ini file for the mod.

As you all would agree, a person who has many mods for ut2004 has a lot of different keys to map, and they get frustrating at times to remap keys to wherever i want them each time i change from Ut2004 or some other mod to this mod.

EDIT: a mod with it's own package, like FHI2k4 v3, or Fragops, or Damnation, or Muralis. etc.

Last edited:

GlassBoy

Nano-augmented Modder
Jan 6, 2004
booiiing said:
at least in linux a shell-script which uses the correct config-file solves the issue ;)
i think this could be done via a batch-file or something like that in windows. :rolleyes:

Well, i'm not very well-informed on batch files, but based on what i know about them, I'd say that it would probably be just as much hassle to use a batch file as changing the input keys every time i decide to play unwheel.

I'm not asking for a drastically changed hud either. Just something that says it's unwheel that i'm playing. the buttons and background can stay the same of course. Just.. the title is all really.

Sound reasonably feasible?

Dracarys

Oh Noes!
Aug 21, 2004
While I agree that UW should be a standard mod, and I know it's not TOO hard, I use a batch file for a specific user.ini and it works great.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
If you installed via the .exe installer, you'll get a "Play UT2004 (custom User.ini)" start menu link - use that and it'll allow you to have a completely seperate set of keys and stuff.

Quick-fix for the time being :p

GlassBoy

Nano-augmented Modder
Jan 6, 2004
Ok, thanks, but can i still expect there to be a mod version of Unwheel sometime in the future?

)>-SARS

Sep 18, 2004
hes not the only one who wants a separate mod, i want it so it comes up on Xfire as UNwheel (not UNreal Tournament)

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
)>-SARS said:
hes not the only one who wants a separate mod, i want it so it comes up on Xfire as UNwheel (not UNreal Tournament)

It's being planned, it's being planned. Shrimp's agreed we're cluttering the gametypes section up too much.

)>-SARS

Sep 18, 2004
thank u, however keep an option to have it displayed as gametypes also(ala Chaos UT)

$n][pErMan

UnWheel Server Guru!
Aug 29, 2004
I think more people would be playing if it was a seperate mod. I dont know why, but I do know way back when this mod first came out and I tried it I was wondering where the hell it was at first :p Although .. keep it so when I update I dont have to change a crapload of stuff on my server for it if you make it a "seperate" mod. :)

Last edited:

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
I'm working on making it -mod compatible at the moment.

I have read that many server administrators prefer putting non-mod mods on their servers though, since it makes it impossible for them to host multiple gametypes on one server - you'll have to end up with a dedicated UnWheel server, that can only play UnWheel.

At the moment, people can set up their servers so they can be switched between multiple gametypes and UnWheel easily using UT2004's voting system, or a mod like UT2Vote.

Anyway, the -mod thing is on the way...

-Nemoder-

Dec 9, 2004
mod

I'm also looking forward to a mod release, I can't seem to get it working at all in linux as it is now, the game starts but it looks like it can't load any custom textures or models no matter what I set the file permissions to.

AlienMind

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Shrimp said:
Anyway, the -mod thing is on the way...

Thank you very much!
I was also just in the situation of choosing weather to contaminate my ut2004.ini and user.ini by unzipping this mod to the root ut2004 directory.
I chose not to, please make it reside in it's own directory.

AlienMind

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
How to "do it yourself": (I don't mean wanking :p )

1. Unzip the unwheel_msu.zip (linux and server version) into ./ut2004/unwheel (new directory)

2. Create a file called default.ini in ./ut2004/unwheel/system with this content:

[Core.System]
+CacheRecordPath=../unwheel/System/*.ucl
+MusicPath=../unwheel/Music
+Paths=../unwheel/Animations/*.ukx
+Paths=../unwheel/Maps/*.ut2
+Paths=../unwheel/Sounds/*.uax
+Paths=../unwheel/StaticMeshes/*.usx
+Paths=../unwheel/System/*.u
+Paths=../unwheel/Textures/*.utx

3. Create a file called UT2K4Mod.ini in ./ut2004/unwheel with this content:

[Mod]

4. Create a file called unwheel.bat in ./ut2004/unwheel with this content:

..\system\ut2004 -mod=unwheel

5. Use the unwheel.bat. That is all.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
It's probably me but i did everything you said and it doesnt work. Unwheel doesn't show up as a gamemode or as a mutator. When i run the bat file it's vanilla ut2k4. Unwheel doesnt show up as a modification either.

Are those guys working on this mod at all still? Maybe they just quit.

Hydra Elite

Jan 11, 2005
NO! it would be bad for it to be a Mod gametype... because both client/joinging players & web/admin/server has to have the file.

...well gametype?? ... that still a total covertion mod, need to be able to play with this vehicles on any map ( any/ALL) where the game type map u choice as a mutator option... example: original CTF maps could have the Unwheel mod play while remain as a non radical file for CTF ; ONS; AS etc...

All UT2004 - BR maps would example play as gametype of Unwheel using the ball

Soo many mod makers of UT-like made that mistake & gave a file that was desserted online. :mad:

It would rock as a Mutator for the use we Host/Adim/servers need :)