1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Make Something Unreal Live Contest

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Nov 1, 2011.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I was certainly surprised to see this one float into the Inbox this morning... Epic Games and Train2Game announce the Make Something Unreal Live Contest. Those of you who've been around a while remember the legendary series of contests Epic has conducted over the years, in which contestants create Unreal Engine content and vie for big prizes. The twist this time around is that the content will all be created for the iOS. The winner receives an Unreal Engine 3 license for that platform.

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

iOS Engine 3...

3. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

Wondering what stopped them from making this a UDK contest on all supported platforms...

4. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Garbage, not worth posting on the front page and should be removed. This isn't news worthy.

1) Train2Game is one of those god-awful for profit schools that couldn't teach you out of a paper bag. They don't even offer real qualifications, they're completely made up and utterly worthless.

2) This isn't even an open competition. You can't enter it unless you win their other competition, which you have to pay £35 for the priveledge of entering - not that you can enter it anyway because 'registration is closed' and access to it was heavily restricted anyway.

3) Epic have really gone down in my estimations with this one. Have they even looked at what they're sponsoring?

5. Daniel-Green-Rozański

Daniel-Green-Rozański Master blaster :D

Are you kidding me :D iOS ?
    Hey Train2Game, talent cannot be learned, its spirit. I have a feeling like some stupid dumbass whos never create something interesting search someone who can :D

6. Sir_Brizz

Yeah, the barrier to entry on this one is massive. Not only do you have to pay the entrance fee, but you have to own at least one Mac, at least one iOS device, pay Apple the developer fee for each developer on your team...

What happened to "no cost for entry"?

7. Al

Al Car'a'carn

lol

8. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Yep - this goes straight into the junk mail trash can.

9. ambershee

The best part is that they are claiming all projects end up under the 'creative commons' license, which is in contradiction to the terms of UDKs EULA in the first place - and that project they work on for six months can't be distributed.

The barrier to entry is infinite, because in order to enter you have to win a different competition, which is closed for entries.

There's no point publicising a competition noone can now enter - on top of the other crap.

You also missed 'you have to travel to the University of Bedfordshire with and house yourself for two nights during the first competition'. 10 hotel rooms for 2 nights isn't cheap - in the UK that will set you back around £1200 / $2000 minimum.

Per 10 man team:
    Competition 1 entrance fee: £350
    Apple Developer Fees: £990

Yeah, the math isn't pretty.

10. Sir_Brizz

Yeah, I'm all for Make Something Unreal competitions, though I think judging should be handled differently. But this one just doesn't make sense.

11. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

Bread and Butter Engine 3. :crysmile:

BABE 3

12. Bersy

Bersy New Member

No comment....

13. Nathillien

Nathillien ۞Thilsa۞

Where is the LIKE button :lol:?

14. ambershee

Yeah, they're getting a bit of negative reception about this one.

15. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

:lol:

16. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

But they train you to game, man. Not everyone is good at gaming.
    Seriously though, I've never even heard of this Train2Game thing.

17. ambershee

It's a 'DeVry' style school.

18. Bersy

Bersy New Member

I was foolish enough to try one of those schools once. You pay and then give up on the material a few chapters in out of utter boredom. My knowledge was light years ahead of the garbage they were teaching.

19. ambershee

Pretty much. It's actually worse than a school like DeVry, because you don't even come out with a recogniseable diploma of any kind (even if it is a crap one). A 'TIGA' is not a real qualification of any kind, at least DeVry earns you a 'Bachelors Degree'.

20. raziel31

raziel31 Active Member