Make GarageKings Ramps Wider?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the ramps in GarageKing be wider?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Are the narrow ramps making GarageKing less fun? I made them as narrow as they are in real life (it was meant to add challenge) but if it would make the map better i could make them wider.

Last edited:

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I think there are some collision problems with the barriers on them as well. Some of them jut out and it can really harm gameplay when you crash into one.

Just like going near any of the barriers in UrbanCircuit

J3110

Flack jumper
Aug 27, 2004
I agree that something should be done, yes. If not widening, then make a different type of ramp, maybe, like a flight of stairs, kinda.
In general, I think that "smoothing out some of the edges" in UW would help to accentuate the more fluid aspects of the gameplay.
Turning adds some nice flow...slides, dynamic acceleration and deceleration effects(oversteer or understeeer depending on throttle position etc)...
Hitting an angle or bump somewhere just kinda jostles you from your flow and rhythm. I like that the ramps are unforgiving, but they might be a little bit too challenging.
What about doubling the amount of ramps while you're at it? I mean keep it so that alternate corners provide access to upper or lower levels, but have one ramp on either side of the corner.
In fact, I have a great idea(I think?)...add a mezanine level at each corner where ramps are. Say you're going up...you arc towards the corner(from either side) as you go up and halfway up, you hit a platform that then has a straight ramp with 2 lanes going up and connecting to the corner of the next level. So the arc is only bridging 90 degrees of the turn and going halfway up till you hit the platform and then you do a quick power slide or e-brake turn to line up with the straight ramp to get up to the next level. The second ramp could even be kinda curved too so smaller cars don't get hung up.
This design would allow for a smoother surface and the turns for the ramps wouldn't have to be nearly as sharp.

As some other players might agree, there comes a certain satisfaction with power sliding onto your current ramps and continuing the drift halfway up the ramp, but I think adding the platforms would bring a new dynamic to the map and maybe also aleviate some of the frustrations that players might have there.

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
Yeah, I'd say double the width. Otherwise, you have to crawl up them and loose time. When you reset, (on KOTH) it drops you to the ground level. You might also want to make the top of each ramp a checkpoint to solve this problem.
To tell you the truth, I avoid this map just becouse of the ramps. It's almost like the first one up the first ramp has won.
*A few parked cars and a couple of people (targets :lol: ) walking around would be cool too :p

Last edited:

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
These look wide enough

I made the ramps wider, does this look wide enough, I can drive up them pretty fast now, lots of tweaking left to do but before i continued i wanted an opinion on the width. :)
[screenshot]http://img2.imgspot.com/u/04/270/04/wider.JPG[/screenshot]

below is the original width

[screenshot]http://img7.imgspot.com/u/04/270/04/original.JPG[/screenshot]

Last edited:

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
looks better, I like the "Jersy wall" better than the guard rail too. can you zip it and send it to me for a test run. Or post it as a beta download?
I think adding the ability to pass on the ramp will make all the diffreance

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
JACK SH!T said:
looks better, I like the "Jersy wall" better than the guard rail too. can you zip it and send it to me for a test run. Or post it as a beta download?
I think adding the ability to pass on the ramp will make all the diffreance

well making the ramps wider has made it more beta then is releasable at this point, the scale change of the ramps has made support placement an issue and the walls, but as soon as its done i will release a new version for ctf and koth, and I will be adding fences instead of the rails, I will post a pic once i get them settled(the fences that is,to show total road width).

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Here are what the new ramps will look like with small fences to make it more difficult to fall off, but the collision is good on these fences, same fences as in MidnightAir.
[screenshot]http://img9.imgspot.com/u/04/270/23/widerfence.JPG[/screenshot]

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
)>-SARS said:
Perfect that map always pissed me off nice fix
You know you should use some punctuation this whole sentence stuff without a period dash comma colon or semicolon is not my favourite thing to read actually it sucks because nobody can understand you precisely learn how to press the right keys on your keyboard and you will make other people happy

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Ravu al Hemio said:
You know you should use some punctuation this whole sentence stuff without a period dash comma colon or semicolon is not my favourite thing to read actually it sucks because nobody can understand you precisely learn how to press the right keys on your keyboard and you will make other people happy

Confucious says: "Do not correct an online person's grammar, for it may transpire to be a 7ft mobster who knows your address."