1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MAC INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR 2.86

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PorterINF, Sep 1, 2001.

1. ZIRB

ZIRB Inhuman

Hey Mythguided! First, INF is as a matter of fact an AWSAOME game but they haven't made things easy for us Mac-users... Did you see my posting below?

You are exacly the type of person that I'm talk about above, that will perhaps not give INF any more chances...

I'm irritated to, but even if I had to fight to make it work (yes it runns fine now!), it was WORTH IT! INF is not a game... It's a life style....

If you want me and the other person here will guide, but you have all the info you need above...

/Z

2. Mythguided

Mythguided New Member

Hi Zirb,

Thanks for the reply.......now that I got my frustration vented, I guess I will be able to communicate a bit more efficiently now. I guess my whole point was that obviously people put a lot of hard work into making Infiltration, and one would think that since doing that, they would also take the same care as far as actually getting the darn thing to work. I guess this issue is a result of much deper issues concerning software as a whole. Although Inf is free, it seems these days that software companies have us consumers over a barrel. They hype their software for months, sometimes even years. you plunk you hard earned money down, only to find out that that it is full of bugs. Then for the next 6 months you gotta deal with patches etc, to work out all the glitches. By the time it is fully functional, its totally obsolete software, and people have moved onto something else. In effect, we have become lab rats who pay for the priveledge of getting it right for the developers. Although i do not condone software piracy at all, it does not surprise me in the least. Whatever happened to pride in ones work? You would think that as far as inf. goes, they would just take all the parts required, put em all in a folder with a simple text set of instrutions, and put all of that in a place where it is easily accessible. I dont think there is a great difficulty in installing it on a mac platform, my beef is that after 3 71 mb downloads, I had to look elsewhere to discover that the very software they touted as the latest release is actually not functional, and that you have to do another 70 mb download just to get a working component of the software. Hell, I feel sorry for all the PC users out there that has to install this. Heh..i have owned 1 windoze machine in my life, and i know what a nightmare software installation can be, yet they all stand around claiming it is the superior platform....I just let em believe that. as mac users, we know the truth..they are all under the control of Microsoft, and they have so much time invested into mastering an absurd system, that they dont realize there is an easier way. Mac may be a secondary platform, but it wont be that way forever. MS has stolen many of apples operating system ideas, and they will continue to do so. Sooner or later, all pc's will have the same features as a Mac, and then it wont matter..if it works like a mac, runs like a mac, and is as easy to use as a mac, it wont matter if its called Gateway,Intel, or whatever. In the meantime, I will just wait until this crew can get their stuff together and release a product that is complete.

3. [-I-]lowGray

[-I-]lowGray New Member

thanks

I just wanted to post that this thread helped get me back on track with the install. When it first came out I don't even know what I did to get it running but it did, except for it not being able to find some files here and there. But for the most part it worked.

Today I decided to reinstall UT and start fresh. the Install went somewhat smooth, after having to edit a few files to get the paths in there and to get the grab key working, all is well. It Runs great.

And I want to also voice my discontent with the hoops us Mac users need to jump through. It seems like there are some pretty knowledgable people already in the community why don't you reach out and get a couple of beta teaster Macs in there and ask if someone here knows how to set up an installer. It said somewhere that your guy learned it in a night. But this doesn't really work as we have seen. No offense to him at all. But a little more attention would be great. Why wasn't there just a UMOD anyway? I don't understand that.....

anyway great game....

4. Meat Sac

Meat Sac New Member

Where is my Famas

I recently had to rebuild my system and reinstall UT and INF. I did the manual install and everything almost works. I am missing the Famas! It is not to be found in my weapons list so I can customize my loadout. Any ideas?

5. GNAT

GNAT ...

LMAO@meatsac haha

6. mrPotatohead

mrPotatohead New Member

Dammit!

I followed these install instructions to the word and when I try to launch up INF I get this god damn error:

"Unable to find DrawSprocket context:"

I've been working on making this fu***** game work for 2.5 hours now. This is ridiculous. Anyone know how to fix this?

7. Jackal<QSF>

Jackal<QSF> One of the last INF OG's!!!

well the draw sprockets are from your UT disk and your supposed to install them with your regular install with UT

what you should try is just installing the sprockets on their own.

In order to do that just click customize before the install process.

also make sure the draw sprockets are on in your extention manager

and that should fix the problem and if you still have trouble can you always contact me. I am always willing to help

ICQ#:11222568

8. mrPotatohead

mrPotatohead New Member

The sprockets are part of the system anyway and they're already installed. Latest versions. Still doesn't work. Regular UT works just fine, just not INF.

9. Jackal<QSF>

hmm well thats intersting.. and a bit weird at the same time..

let me look more into it and see what I can find

BTw my ICQ is 112220658 sorry about the typo

10. fatty

fatty New Member

more mac problems

Well, I've done the clean install of UT, 436, 2.86 manual install, and the 2.86 alternative mac launcher.

Everything starts loading great but then freezes durning the "linking objects" phase. Any ideas where to start?

I'm on a B&W G3 400, 128 rage, 256 megs of ram. Since I only have 256 megs of ram, I can't allocate 250000k for UT as suggested before. Could this be the problem? Normally UT works just fine.

11. flojoe

flojoe New Member

This is now the 3rd day Ive been trying to make INF work. I never played it and I want to play it with my friends. I have an iBook SE 466mhz 128 megs ram. I played tac Ops no prob This is what I did:

-Full install of UT GOTY and allocated memorey to 250000 but I had to put virtual memory on because I only have 128megs.
    -Using manual install I put the system folder of the zip (not the one in the INF folder) and put it in place fo the original UT system folder.
    -Next I put the Inf folder on my desktop and manually draged all the files in the system folder(in INF folder) to the UT system folder that I had replaced.
    -I also did that with the Maps, Sounds, Textures, Music, and Web folders.
    -I then put the mac luncher in UT folder with its 3 other files.
    - When I double click on the Mac launcher it says Missing INF.
    -I dragged just the alternate launcher (2.85) into UT floder and left (2.86)
    -Double clicked on alternate launcher, it loads for about 4 and 12 seconds and then when it says linking all objects it says:

ReadFile beyond EOF
    8250482+1/8250482

What am I doing wrong! This is very annoying!

12. PorterINF

PorterINF New Member

fatty:
    With 256MB you should probably have virtual memory turned on, even if it is only 1MB so your apps will use less memory. You should be able to get by with allocating 170000-190000 K to UT and run INF with enough memory for MacOS. Your goal is to use your available physical ram since it is faster. Use Apple's About This Computer to check your memory usage.

flojoe:
    You are installing INF wrong.
    1-Allocate the same amount of memory to UT for INF as you did for TacOps if it is running fine. The 250000K is recomended for INF to run with no memory problems assuming you have plenty of physical ram.
    2-Don't replace your UT System folder, just drag the contents from the manual install into the UT System folder and replace duplicates.
    3-Just drag the Infiltration folder to your UT folder, don't drag out the files.
    4-Definitely use the alternate launcher.
    Should work now?

13. flojoe

flojoe New Member

Still no cigar

Porter, I did excatly what you told me except that I put the Infiltration.inf of the 2.86 launcher in cause it said missing Windrv. But now, when it says Loading (or opening) VWindow is beeps and gives me

ReadFile beyond EOF
    8250482+1/8250482

What next?

14. PorterINF

PorterINF New Member

Can you run UT? If not than UT needs to be reinstalled.

15. flojoe

flojoe New Member

yep....

UT runs fine.

16. Jackal<QSF>

lol porter you have the same machine and almost the same specs as I do

17. Dragon

Dragon New Member

Holy crap!!

Well I find it funny that all of this happens after I leave the team. I always tried to help make the mac version as easy as possable to install and if I where still involved it would have been a hell of a lot easier then this because I didn't have a single problem installing it on my machine. But I was in charge of Mac support for almost a year. Ace and I worked very hard to figure out problems right when they appeared and get the fix in the Mac package.

I have talked to many die hard INF fans that don't even play anymore because they can get it running. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot

I just hope that they will get someone on the team again that is a little more devoted to the Mac gamers and knows what they are doing.

Dragon

18. Jackal<QSF>

ya tell me about it man

19. stglebidiah

stglebidiah Flying Monkey

this may be a stupid question

i was just wondering...

included in the infiltration map pack manual zip are a number of files which apparently should go in the UT/System folder (as opposed to the UT/Infiltration/System folder) judging by their suffixes (ie .int, or .ini). these files would replace files currently in the folder (ie their names are the same as those of files currently in the folder, such as Core.int, or Manifest.ini). I opened these in simpletext, and compared them to the files already in the folder. some were the same. others were completely different. so...

do i use these files which came with the map pack? if so, where exactly do they go, and if they should go in the UT/System folder, should I replace the files already there?

also...

handofdarkness mentioned those little box characters which preceeded every line in his INF_Core.int file. I got rid of them (cuz i had a similar problem with preferences, and he said that deleting these things fixed it, more on this later). guess what? those damn little boxes are in all my files (or at least all the ones i have opened)!!!! and some of these files are too big to be opened by simpletext. and that's alot of deleting. like i said, i have deleted these in the INF_Core.int file, which brings me back to the similar preferences problem.

every time i load INF, it goes into 3dfx glide video render mode. now, this would be all fine and dandy if i had a voodoo. but, i have an ATI rage 128 and it doesnt even support glide. so, every time i start up i have to change my graphics settings. and hand, or anyone else, don't say "delete the boxes in INF_Core.int" cuz i already did that. and yes, i am going to try and eliminate ALL the little boxes. but i'm hoping that my problem isnt due to little boxes.

i'm hoping my problems will be solved by the mysterious system files i mentioned earlier. so, if anyone knows what i should do with those files and whether this will have any effect, please reply soon (yes this is just reiterating my original question, or rather cry for help).

thanks!

20. deagol

deagol New Member

installing inf again 2 months later

2 months ago it took me atleast 6 hours to install up to inf 2855. now it's taken me atleast 12 hours and i'm still having a problem, but only ONE problem, WOOT! yet it is a serious one

whenever i connect to SOME servers (a couple work fine) it stops me with this error message

Connection failed
    Package 'UT Menu' Version mismatch