1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

M16A2 Sight solution

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Psychomorph, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Mappie

Mappie --Total World Domination--

Actually my brother was in the US military for a while, 25th light mechonized infantry .. When i asked about the 2 sites he told me that they were taught to use them in a differnet manner.. Not so much as distance but time of day and what the lighting was outside. If it was bright they would use the smaller. If it was dark they would use the larger...im not sure if this is the only difference, but this is what i was told.

2. jayhova

jayhova Don't hate me because I'm pretty

That's essentially what I was trying to say Psycho. I even made a pic. But since you have yours up there that's good enough. I think we could go one step further though. We could make the part on which apply the tranparency slightly larger that the current sight and cover the outer as well as the inner rim of the site. That would combine the best features of 2d and 3d.

3. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

that looks kinda feasible. well see how well this **** exports the next time we try.

4. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Ah, so I guess OICW meant this kind of 'transparency' too. Then I have to agree with you both.
    But the sight hole from the aimed view have to be larger anyway, especially to include this blurry effect.
    And seeing this effect while reloading a weapon, or having it hipped/shouldered, would be odd.

My doubt is, that I do not like half things. Seeing a rearsight beeing blurry, but not the rest of the weapon, seems odd to me (imho).
    I would prefer having the rearsight hole beeing larger, but in same quality as the other rear gun parts, unless we have a render technology, to make the whole rearpart of the wepaon blurry.

But who knows, maybe it will rock.

5. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

well that shouldnt be too much of a problem - since focus doesnt make everything blurry. having the rear sight and everything around it blurry would be nice, but since we wouldnt want 999 transparencies on weapons, im sure just the sight will be fine.

6. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

You could make the rear sights and the stock (plus whatever section of the rear of the weapon is visible) transparent, but that might be a bit more difficult than just the rear sights being transparent.

7. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

making geometry transparent isnt that good an idea - itll look really crap when you see overlapping geometry... id say stick to a transparent texture over the rear sight - that way you can get a much more comfortable and realistic look.

8. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Yes, trying to make the whole rearpart of the weapon blurry would look crappy. The sight it is not a big issue.