M1 Garand in Progress

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
If you were in a cqb situation, you would stab the guy ;)

anyhow my tutor said that it was possiable to hit you target and emty a clip in 6 sec :eek:

only problem is you would not do that because you would need to select a new target, and you old one would be dead :rolleyes:

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
In CQB,you beat the dog**** out of em with it! It's 8&3/4 pounds of hardwood, and steel. Nothing says "Go Away" like the checkered steel buttplate of a M1 Rifle closing in on your brain housing unit at speed. A M1 rifle, with the M1 bayonet is still a weapon, unloaded.

NavySupra

Oct 21, 2004
The .30-06 goes up then comes back down when shot, which means for accuracy you really have to spend the time sighting your gun in for the range you intend to shoot at. You are correct in stating that the 7.62x51 stoots flat.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
No bullet goes up after being fired. This is a common misconception because guns are sighted at an angle with the barrel, and on a gun sighted to 200m, the shot will appear to rise before again falling to level at 200m. This is only because the bullet passes above the gun's sight line, which is angled downwards in order to compensate both for drop at range and the difference in height between the barrel axis and the sight axis.

That said, .30-06, not shooting as flat as 7.62x51mm (I'm not sure if it's a ballistic coefficient issue or what), would require more compensation at range.

Also, Meplat, thanks; always wondered if the stories about M2 AP being standard issue during WW2 were true or not.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Battlesight Zero for the Garand was 300 yards. You set it, and didn't futz about over sub range adjustments. At inward of that range, you'd jack the guy a bit high, and at a bit longer, you'd probably hit him in the groin.

LONG range shots were kind of unusual, and for all it's accuracy the sight settings on the M1 were effectively "forgotten" when under fire. You were zeroed, or you were'nt.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Erm, if the sights are adjusted, that means a straight aim on sights mean the barrel points upwards slightly. So, the bullets go up.

Limited ammo capacity doesn't sound like much of a drawback if it's one-shot-kill. The weight, however, would hopefully stop people taking a sidearm, making the reload time much more significant.

Lasersailor184

The_Punisher
Aug 21, 2000
USA, and damn proud
2-8-2_1090384314_psn00007.jpg

The drum on the left side is set up so you can ***EASILY*** switch between the distances. It's pre sighted to different ranges that you can set it to at any time.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
You haven't answered my question. Unless you are firing excessively long range (which is unlikely for infantry combat) why would you be wasting your time?

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
keihaswarrior said:
I don't see why it will be an uber weapon, thats ridiculous. It will do slightly more damage than a PSG1, but it will have:

1. More recoil
2. Less ammo capacity
Your face is an uber weapon.

But seriously, I hope you're right.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Lasersailor- Look at the elevation drum. There is a triangle stamped at approximately 300 yards. Ever wonder what that is for?
Hell, on the old locking bar rear sights, they had it VERY plainly marked, "BATTLESIGHT ZERO".
The one you show is a second version rear sight, and judging by the long SN, is a Korean war era M1. Look CLOSELY, it's there.

Lastly, THINK before you inferr someone does'nt know what they're talking about. For civility's sake.

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
i agree with the PSG-1 damage but upped a bit, maybe u could experiment a bit with different types of ammo

Armour Peircing - Does planty of damage on heavy armour, but little on flesh
as the bullet wouldn't expand n will just tear a "neat" hole

Soft Point - Heavy damage against flesh, cus the bullet would expand rapidly,
but would do little against armour as the bullet would expand on
impact and be stopped by armour

You might also want to try something with the sighting system to change the zero from 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m etc. like on the HK69 but with an animation turning the drum-knobby thingy. ?????

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
AP after penetrating "hard" body armor, does really interesting things to the meatwad in between. Dependant on the amount of mass retention (AP usually sheds it's jacket, but the AP in this case might just distort, then bust down the door before having a time of intimacy with your innards) it could be REALLY messy. Imagine a worst case scenario. Angular hit on a TLIII vest, with sup plates, and a marginally stopped M2AP now lacking it's jacket, greatly slowed AND having a very distorted tip. The old stories of "In the navel, out the ear." might ring true.

Soft point on most armor just splashes. There would be minor injuries, usually under the chin, and to exposed extremities from the splash (Good armor has baffles above and below the plates OR an overlay of BN/K129 to catch this splash.)

You want sniping with the M1 rifle? Get someone to add a M1C /M1D variant and be done with it.

Lord Belial

Loose Cannon
Ummm isn't the PSG-1 an instant-kill weapon? So what's the point of upping the damage? You could make the Garand do the same damage as a W-80 to the target if you liked, it'd still be one shot kill.

I liked Wolfe's original idea: one against unarmoured, two otherwise. Otherwise it'll just be silly. Still, I'm looking forward to the finished product. :)