1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

M-4 Carbine Attachments

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by striderteen, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

But in CS the M4 still takes just as many shots to kill unsilenced as it does silenced.

2. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

hey, i'm not saying cs is realistic, i'm just assuming they're using subsonic rounds as an excuse for silenced 5.56 weapons... or of course, they just don't know wtf they're doing... :D

3. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

LoTekK is correct.

For rifles there are basicaly 2 different sounds that make up the sound of a gun shot.

The first is a combination of the gunpowder going off, and the gases leaving the barrel. These sounds are those that can be muffled. In fact the technology involved with supressors is very similar to car mufflers.

The second is the crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier. In order to stop this sound the bullet can not achieve a velocity greater than Mach 1. Since the advtange of a rife lies in longer ranges due to the high velocities of the round, by removing them the weapons range, and effectiveness is lowered to that of pistol caliber ammo.

It's not entirely useless to use a surpressor with rifles though. but it wouldn't make much of a difference in INF. The first sound is very localised, and that combined with the muzzel flash is how we can tell where the shot came from. The supersonic crack though can be more difficult to pin down because it's on the move (right be hind the bullet duh)

as for fantasy attachments, why not do something that would completely screw up the game like one of those railmounted pen cameras used for spotting around corners without actualy having to expose yourself. I thought these were just BS up until i actually saw a team useing them during training. The cameras project to a monical which produce a live B&W image that adjusts for brightness and contrast fairly quick (poor mans night vision) and has a simple + styled crosshair for targeting. To say the least they were very effective in CQB mounted on MP5N's and M4's. What i thought was neat was that they were using special flash hinders so that even when firing the camera didn't get messed up by the flash hehehe.

4. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

Yeah, the landwarrior system has that.

5. [L]the_Countess

[L]the_Countess Novice

i'll vote for the latter option:D

and when is the landwarrior system gona be in INF?

6. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

They would have to add something like that if/when they include an oicw.
    the land warrior system itself probly wont be considered milspec till then :p

course with the maps we have all being bright enough to see normaly, and with the controls what theyare, I dont see a benefit to a camera on the gun.
    so its really just an hk rifle with a scope and funky 6 shot grenade auncher.

7. [L]the_Countess

[L]the_Countess Novice

i'll settle for that :D

8. Puncher

Puncher AFA member

It's not silenced weapons but rather suppressed weapons. A minor difference it might seem, but very important. A suppressor, especially with larger rifle bullets, does not make the sound much quieter (say 120 db instead of 160 db for a large-caliber rifle). Instead it sounds different and does not have the "crack" but more of a "click" (such as the suppressed MP5 in INF).

For some nice videos, including suppressed weapons, check out http://www.gulfcoastarmory.com/mgvids.html

9. striderteen

striderteen New Member

Whoever is insisting that the MasterKey system is a custom piece only is wrong. Allow me to quote myself:

KI are the people who make the -203 as well IIRC. At any rate, the MasterKey system is not a field-rigged nonstandard item -- it was designed to replace such field rigs.

10. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

Yea, but the somewhat wiggy argument is that knight industries is not the original manufacturer of the weapon. so technicaly its all aftermarket parts.

personaly I dont understand it.
    if the military uses it, no matter how strange it might seem, we should consider it valid for inf use as well.

far as teh scope arguments go. I dont think you should supstitute hardware for an interface problem.
    just cause you cant see someone downrange, dosent mean you automaticaly need a scope.

if the weapon is a cqb weapon, you should be hindered like the rest of us mp5 and akimsu users. :p

11. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

my mistake, puncher, i musta been smoking something weird to call 'em 'silenced' weapons... :D
    the sonic crack still stands, though, for supersonic rounds...

as for milspec stuff... it's a very liquid classification, imo, but in the case of the masterkey, it seems way too purpose built for inf's scope... AFAIK knight's armaments does make weapons for the military, but if i'm not mistaken they're limited to small units like the seals (notorious for using whatever the hell they want... remember the blue jeans they wore early in the vietnam war?)... correct me if i'm wrong, though...

12. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

IF THE SEALS WORE BLUE JEANS, I WANT BLUE JEANS!!! :mad:

the games about what the military does, not what they "say" they do.
    cause in that case then half the vietnam war dident take place, and the seals are nothing more than boyscouts for the recruitment PR.

13. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

That said, masterkeys are not military issue. Why? Because if any other company tried to sell package slash hacked M870s with the mounts they'd receive a hefty lawsuit from the fine boys at Remington.

since quoting one's self seems to be in vogue;

August 7th, 2001
    "They are CUSTOM rigs, and only recently have private firms decided they can cash in by providing stripped M203 mounts to simplify the melding of M870s onto rifles."

Call it an attachment for an attachment, but nevertheless a non-standard package still requiring the stripping of a Wingmaster.

14. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

does it matter where teh parts come from or how their assembeled?
    It shouldent.
    if the military has used this weapon in actual combat, then thats good enough for me.

your talking about a weapon that was good enough to not only be chosen by one of this nations most elite forces, but also to be used repetitively in combat situations.
    and when the first units wore out, they sought properly assembeled replacements of the same combination.
    I would say they like it and plan to use it regularly in the future.

now dont tell me its not good enough to be put in a game for cryin out loud :p

this "rare" and "custom" weapon is what they use, hence its one we should get to use. I call that problem solved.

what you should argue about is weather it goes in now or goes in later. but assuming this mods goal is to have all current weapons simulated inside, then they will have to add the masterkey eventualy.

15. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

Razz, he just said "No.". Please stop pressing the issue. This same suggestion has come up about 4 times already and every time it has been shot down. Please just let it die.

16. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

That's just it. It doesn't matter what is good enough for you. Because in the end your opinion means about as much as this gum I'm trying to get off the bottom of my shoe.

I agree with Kuroshio-Apocal on this one, let it die.

17. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

well, in that case Ill drop it.

its just a shame that someone making a game about military combat actualy dosent care about the weapons the military uses, how they dress, or the tactics they employ.

just call is "cstrike2" and stop screwing with peoples heads ;)

18. Puncher

Puncher AFA member

The military does not use the weapon. Only certain tiny, elite parts of the military use it for certain, limited objectives. Special forces generally use many (or even only) costum-built and -modified weapons, which are not generally used by standard military.

They dress just like it is portrayed in Infiltration, and what does that have to do with the Masterkey (a hyped-up weapon because of the Delta Force series if you ask me)?

The tactics employed by military can be also used in Infiltration, however most people don't follow them.

19. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

You mean 'a' military unit, not 'the' military.

20. Foodman

Foodman Collision h0

Oh well. I thought it would be cool.