1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lost Secrets of Na Pali (Total Conversion)

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by FXD|Shadow, Feb 11, 2006.

1. FXD|Shadow

FXD|Shadow Mad Man, really

thx so far for your interest =)
    The emitter system take a development time of around 3 years (!), since I'm 13 I was working on that system, often debugging, updating and removing something. It's highest strength is smoke, toxic, clouds, spell effects, fire. It has several methods (or mapping methods) to keep framerate up on a good level:
    - on/off triggering of emitters you're not currently seeing in a far distance or when their're not needed
    - Distance Control (after a specified radius is the emitter off)
    - Performance Level Setting in the Menu (From "Off" up to "Highest")
    - Line Of Sight Control (if the emitter has an uninterrupted LOS to the player then he's activated, otherwise not (wall between player/emitter))
    - FOV Control (everything that is not in the FOV of the player is completely deactivated)
    - Close Distance Control (often Particles in close distance eat performance like a monster, our system shots down average particle count to keep up performance)

The system is completely written in UC, it's maybe planed to code a hardware accelerated version via C++. Because the system is written in UC is it software accelerated that meens, that actors weither of c++ defined uobjects that provide the visual effect are spawned, so CPU (in that fact) is more important for the system, everything else not, for example: the particle texes go only to a max. of 128 pixel, which every gfx should handle smoothly.

Yay we'll may take the U2 Models as inspiration, especially the Skaarj looked much more aggressive and evil. But the Drakh for example will look different, more like machenic insects or something (not like a metal globe with 2 long arms Oo)

Yes definitly. LSoNP shall be more then just a giant Mod, it shall reanimate mapping/mod developing with the old mother engine, especially because you have the ability of native coding, what you not have in the UE2..
    A seperated developing pack will be released after LSoNP comes out.

yap ! Singleplayer + Multiplayer, we try to get much people interested in it, the MP missions are special, think of coop infiltrating a base (that makes fun!) or blowing up some skaarj fighters in space.

under a new class, but a major subclass of ScriptedPawns, which provides general AI enhancements

yes, yes, yes =)

yes, a similar rocket trail I would say, here's a 'unoffical' smoke trail pic of teh good ol' Unreal Eightball:

[​IMG]

We'll make heavy usage of the emitters, for nearly everything, weather, spells, weapons, blood and so on.

why not, older mutators can be updated and will be refreshing

converted ? did I say anything of converting somethin' from U2 ? just taking inspiration, the models will be made from scratch^^

that was really good to hear =) I'm happy, such friendly and interested replies keep even us self up to go on developing, really thx !!

no no, ask as much as you want or as much as I can tell =) asking leads knowledge !

2. Creavion

Creavion New Member

Such as Shadow I am very suprised from your interest.
    Unlike other modteams we think at other mappers like you, that was our think from the beginning, but lsonp will need his time to finish.

To the Topic Multiplayer, to some features you will say WTF?, when you will see it. ^^

3. FXD|Shadow

WTF in a positive or suprised point of view =D

4. Nahand

Nahand !!! God Of Random !1?

... most interesting :) Keep it up!...

5. FXD|Shadow

thx dude !^^

6. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

Considering Rune actually had a particle effects system, it isn't that novel a thing for the Unreal Engine, it even used skeletal meshes, real gore, as in limbs severage, and was released in 2000.

Still, it is a wonderful thing this project, shame it couldn't happen sooner though.

7. FXD|Shadow

ya I know, deus ex and wot too, but it's our own, and it's good.
    well you should show patience I think^^, lsonp needs much time develope

8. DaBeowulf

DaBeowulf UT-mods Geek

Oi the map pics look insane how much were they photoshopped? :tup:

UltimaUnreal had made a custom renderer, too which introduced some new things among them lensflare effects and distance fog or somesuch IIRC.
    They switched to another engine/project and I can't see why they didn't
    release the UT stuff, at least that renderer. Unless - I think they wanted to make their own engine for their new project - they're ripping from UT and intending to go retail without needing to aquire a license for the engine.

Anyway, since your GFX update skills seem to be so good I wanted to ask how much of a chance there is of making shadow effects like the old Creative drivers did as a tech demo for the original Unreal or like those from the UT engine game StarTrekDS9:The Fallen (the former actually seem to have been better).
    Finally how much of a chance is there to see a smallish preview/demo after these massive teasers? :)
    Looks abso#*$%?"┬žlutely delicious so far!

9. FXD|Shadow

ya UU had a custom render, from them we've basic radial/motion blur and bloom code. They developed a completely own engine from scratch because of understandable reasons: copryright conflicts (the ultima and the unreal) and the fact that the headers of the partial source code and the render are written a bit chaotic..
    E.P.O.S. is a truely amazing project, I think they really deserve a publisher, I mean just look ! They made an own engine from scratch with Shader 3.0 Support o_O

To the shadow effects I can say: it's possible and we're working on it, but I'm not promissing if it works, if not you'll have at least some better static light maps^^

A major Demo (around 2-3 full levels) is planed for early summer. Also a big official trailer..

What we could really need is a Skinner + Concept Artist (our Modellers need base stuff to model !)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  10. War_Master

War_Master Member

Please dont use shadows on the monsters. That will eat up a lot of memory on the slow machines like mine :(. Besides, I like making super maps with super specialities like monsters, weapons, effects, and even super players :) and shadows will really affect the game on spammy maps. And another thing, can you work on the weapons's smoke effects like the rockets so they wont last so long and decrease AmbientGlow for a more realistic fade?... that's what the rockets in UT2k4 do and they look awesome and realistic.

Thanks

11. FXD|Shadow

well, nearly every feature can be turned on/off weither directly on the menu (if it's a main graphic feature like shadows) or in the advanced options, so don't fear your pc can't handel LSoNP ! We're thinking on those with slower pc.
    The smoke fades already good and realistic.

12. FXD|Shadow

*bumps*

I've some news around...

At first pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4 shorts of the older cave-section in the Humanbase, with Bloom

[​IMG]
    testing Emitters and stuff with Bloom

Updated ModDB-Profile:
    http://mods.moddb.com/6444/Lost-Secrets-of-Na-Pali/

Own small ModDB-Profile opens it gates:
    LSoNP Public Forums @ ModDB

New Member Additions:
    - FXD|JWH (Music Artist)
    - eGo (UScript/C++ Coding)
    - Pandemonium (Texture Artist, also in the E.P.O.S.-Team)
    - FXD|aHOI (Texture Artist)
    - FXD|Somian (Texture/Sound Artist)
    - FXD|TH3D00M (Level-Designer)
    - DaveLewis (Modeller/Skinner)

New Support-Band:
    Leaves Eyes

(Old) Homepage in 2 languages now:
    www.lsonp.de (brown planet = englisch, blue planet = german)

The homepage(s) will be redesigned in the next week.

Some of the Banners in discussion (we've more, but we want to know how people like some of these here first):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  13. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

I love the look of the bloom effects, can't wait to get my hands on it...

14. Skewpaints

Skewpaints New Member

Bloom owns :)

15. Olga

Olga Miffed

bloom is brite leik teh sun fo reelz

But yes, this mod looks like pwnage.

Will players be able to interact with non-hostile Mercenaries? Since the Mercenaries have a grudge against the Skaarj, you might as well be able to hire Mercenaries to fight with you.

Female Nali? There's evidence, try Vandora's temple. Vandora is blue since she's a goddess, but regular female nali would be the same colour as male nali.

System Shock 2 style item interaction and storage system? (Inventory like in an RPG and items are picked up by pressing a key while pointing at them, which lets you hide items in more places than if it were the standard precedure for picking items up, aka walking over them) Could carry more than one suit of armour in the space in your inventory and place it in your armour slot when the other wears out. Weapons can be switched with the mousewheel still but the limited inventory space means you can't have 1000 weapons at once. Items appear on the "belt" thing on your HUD still, it just detects the usable items in your inventory space is all. If you decide to make health usable by key instead of on-the-spot, this would limit the amount of health people can hoe around.

About those sharpened weapon textures, and skin overlayed creatures... try not to make them look like sandstone, please. I think it might be best just to create higher-res skins for them, and if normal maps are possible, try them. But sandstone people and weapons isn't a great idea.

Anyway, GJ.

16. FXD|Shadow

players will be able to interact with nearly every npcs, except those who want to kill you ;)
    the merc are in an alliance with the earth government, even because man kind and mercs have one big enemy - the skaarjs.

the item system is internally in heavy discussion, due to the fact that we want to satisfy both the shooter-fans and the rpg-fans.

those "sandstone" detail maps where just for the purpose of testing, weapons and creatures will have direct fitting details maps/emboss bumps.

normal mapping/parallax mapping is nearly impossible, maybe bump mapping but I don't promise anything.

17. DaBeowulf

DaBeowulf UT-mods Geek

The screenies are just too bootilicious to be true. :) :eek:
    I agree, though the weapon's washed out look isn't too hot. (Is it the bloom doing this to it?)
    I like both, the middle and the last of the banners you posted.

18. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

Looking awesome :D
    .. How about Vehicles?
    I have seen a lot of vehicles in Unreal but never was able to use one
    would be great to hijack some skaarj plasma tank or something like that ^^

On the banners.. I personally prefer the first ;)

19. FXD|Shadow

thx that most of you like the banners^^

I can't leave any details on vehicles yet, except an unskinned air glider with 3 engines..

do you (all!) guys have any suggestions, gmaster for example had (moddb-community) the idea to make a jetpack for the mp-mode, I also want to know what you may find bad on LSoNP, give concret and reasonable criticism.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  20. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

I didnt expect that your group stayed together, and still continue to made this mod.
    good work! keep it up and continue posting the screens, we are waiting for it! :)