1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Loss of movement

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by DIGITRON, Jan 29, 2002.

1. DIGITRON

DIGITRON a few digits shy

every once in a while ill be playing on a server with no problems, the next map will start and suddenly i wont be able to move. usually i get right out of server try to rejoin but it still does it. and the other night i waited out the map to see what would happen when the next map loaded. i waited and was able to move again.

this happens on maps i play regularly and servers i iplay regularly.

whats going on here?

anybody.

pIII 500
    nvidia 32meg tnt2
    windows 98SE
    256 meg
    most settings set to medium or low

i posted this in the troublshooting forum but to no avail.

2. Angus

Angus New Member

Did you install disk 2?

3. SugarBear

SugarBear Sadly Un-Surreal

yeah, this happens to me, a lot in that one map that has the blue flag all the way at the end of a little bridge and the red map over the big lava pit....i feeze up near the blue shock just about everytime i play...never gets fixed till the map switches, in fact...that's the only map it ever happened on.

don't know what to tell you other than you're not alone, i've never gotten any help figgering it out either.

4. ION_Ace

ION_Ace Assault player

ctf-eternalcaves I think map is called

Last edited: Jan 30, 2002
  5. TAZTG

TAZTG Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference

Yep same thing here. I started a thread asking the same question. LINK

I didn't receive any good answers. I can play the same map in Practice but on the Server it freeze's. I hear the action see the action and get fragged. Never waited for map to finish, to see if next map would load but I am sure it would have. I was thinking the servers are playing a different Version of the MAP, but I deleted mine and let it cache still froze. Good Question hope we find out why....

6. Angus

Angus New Member

Did you guys install disk 2? from the UT disks. If so that may be the problem.

Quite a few UT server use the server only 436 install, that install has problems with clients that have installed disk 2. Symptoms can be bieng unable to move on certain maps and/or some of the player animations being screwed up. Does not happen on all servers and does not happen on all maps.

7. PuppyShade

PuppyShade I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

yo, angus shouldnt you be at work ! 10 35 am

8. Angus

Angus New Member

I am at work! What is your excuse?

9. SugarBear

SugarBear Sadly Un-Surreal

well see, it's not about Disk 2, if it was you would see it on every map, besides Disk 2 is just Hi-Res textures, so basically people would look like they are floating around, and animations on your end would seem choppy and slow.

what we have is a full on stopage of the game, almost like the whole world is moving around us at normal, but were stuck, like for some reason UT respawned us inside a wall, and all we can do is look out.

10. PuppyShade

PuppyShade I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

Angus: 6 days on, 6 days off ;)

11. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

It's happened to me a few times too though I've no idea why. :hmm:

12. TAZTG

Its not Disk 2, I did install it. Angus 6 on 6 off, damn must be nice hopefully the pay is..

13. Virus{PCG}

Virus{PCG} IF deathball$>ghey THEN GOTO speedball

This lack of movement on specific maps, while playing online, is solely down to S3TC textures...
    In order for online play to work fine, once you are using the textures from the 2nd UT disk, the host PC needs those textures installed aswell.
    If the host is using the standard textures, the following bugs will occur AT TIMES...
    No animation of players (they float round on 1 leg, looking at floor)
    Players turn into statues when killed (instead on dropping to the ground in a heap)
    All taunts make it sound like you are playing CTF, regardlesss of what gametype you are playing
    Some maps eg. dm-grinder will prevent you from moving from any respawn point
    Your chat will appear white (instead of green), along with not showing your nickname before whatever you wrote

On some maps, everything will appear as normal!

Solutions...
    Ask the admin of a server to install the 2nd CD textures
    Create a folder eg. Textures1; copy and paste the contents of the 1st CD 'textures' folder to it. When you play on a server not using S3TC, rename the S3TC textures folder to 'textures2' and rename 'textures1' to 'Textures'

14. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

When it happens to me I just jump onto another server....

but it's the server with the problem....not your setup.

15. QuietMan

QuietMan New Member

ah I think they might be experiencing a "lock up" as opposed to non animated models.
    I seem to remember Eternal caves had some strange problem with sounds...As a suggestion try it with direct sound off;

Go into preferences (via the console)- audio - directsound ...and change it to False
    then close and restart UT. (You can do the same thing quicker by editing the line
    Directsound=True to Directsound=False in the unrealtournament.ini file.)

I had lots of issues with directsound...I have had it turned off for nearly the entire time of playing UT, frankly I can't tell the difference when its on or off but it certainly is less troublesome (no distortions) off.

16. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

Not for me it isn't, I'm not using S3TC yet it still happens from time to time. :hmm:

Quiet, does your mobo have a VIA chipset? If it does have you tried George Breese's PCI latency patch? It solved my UT lock-up problems.

17. DIGITRON

DIGITRON a few digits shy

ps my prob is not map specific.

it can happen on any map at any time.

i guess we can mark it down as just one of those things computers do to *%#$ us off.

like why does the computer freeze everytime my wife gets on it?

18. TAZTG

That way you can fix it for her. LOL

19. ][mpact

][mpact New Member

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=84765

Go there, scroll all the way till you see "][mpact." See if it works.

If you had in anyway installed the textures on the second cd, then you can indeed live with the s3textures and online play at the same time. Then again, if you didn't...I dunno. Try my suggestion in the link, and hope for anything.

Are you starting to get delirious man (your little snip about your wife :p)?! Surely, you haven't given up on this one.

20. cornman

cornman Are you afraid of corn? You should be.

Same thing has just started happening to me on only ONE server and ONE map--Very annoying--I don't know how to fix it.