1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lords of Dogtown

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BooGiTyBoY, May 28, 2005.

1. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/lordsofdogtown/

These are the guys that defined everything related to a little board with 4 wheels. Best part is they had the three original Z-boyz Tony Alva, Stacey Peralta and Jay Adams on set everyday giving their insight as well as coaching for the actors and skaters in the film. For their "skating camera" shots they gave good ol' Lance Mountain a camera so they had someone to keep up with the boys and really give the feel of in your face skating cinematography. They recreated the pier they used to surf (including a ferris wheel purchased on E-bay :lol: ), the Zephyr shop, and the infamous Dog Bowl from scratch into perfect replicas of their old stoming grounds.

If you've ever even remotely considered yourself a skater... you need to see this movie.

Know your roots man,Kno your roots. ;)

2. Traxis

Traxis Waiting for the deathblow

3. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

Ya I saw that too :D
    Was done by Stacey Peralta. Was nice to see the story told from this point of view :)
    I grew up idolizing these guys. Nice too see someone is giving them credit where it's due on the big screen :D

4. el Gato

el Gato Has-Been

Same here, but is was nice to see both, unlike Gleaming The Cube <- :lol:

5. Hydrus

Hydrus is lost

Deffo gonna go see this when the exams are over, looks teh pwn. Also, the website is pretty sweet, got some videoclips of them making impressions of me skating, well the bail session at least :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  6. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

Hey, Gleaming The Cube wasn't that bad. Besides, the close-up flatland parts were done by Rodney Mullen, who is the daddy of skate flatland.

I plan to see Lords of Dogtown, although it's not out in the UK until September, so I'll probably see it on R1 DVD before then.

7. el Gato

el Gato Has-Been

The skating was fine, but it was just a vehicle to try and sell a POS movie.

Also :lol: at Christian Slater.

8. ben harkins

ben harkins New Member

Absolutely, pathetic star vehicle for Slater. Now Thrashin', that was quality! :D

I plan to see Lords at some point but honestly I really don't have super high expectations. Whenever they make a fictional movie about Skating they treat it like it's any other major sport and the protagonist's goal is always to make tons of money and get famous. Anyone who skates knows that has nothing to do with why you skate. You do it because you want to hang out with friends and have fun not because you think it's going to make you the next Tony Hawk. I'm sure this movie will try to redefine the Z-boys as if they were rockstars hoping to make a buck off their notoriety but the fact is they were just young punks having a good time. Sure, they became legendary within the skating world but they were still more interested in their next pool session than anything else. I think Dogtown and Z-boys defined them a lot better than a sensationalistic movie will. That said, I haven't seen it yet and maybe I will be absolutely wrong and the movie will be wonderful. At least they did go to the trouble to bring in some of the actual guys to work on it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2005
  9. Thrash123

Thrash123 Obey Leash Laws

I'm going to try and see it, but only if I can see it for free (I've been boycotting the RIAA and MPAA for the past few months now). Otherwise I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD and can get one of my blockbuster-working friends to rent it for free.