Logitech g5 vs g7

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

someguy_99

Sep 7, 2001
Canada
Visit site
I'm probably getting either of these mice for christmas... But I don't know which I want. For those who don't know, both are high performance mice, but the g5 is corded and features a removable weight pack for adjusting (you guessed it) the weight of the mouse, and balance. The cord also seems to be made of a some fabric and does not provide a lot of resistance. The g7 is wireless, and features no weight cartridge. Instead it has 2 quick switch battery packs, making it possible to charge one while playing on the other. Both mice also sport DPI adjustments on the mouse itself, with no need for drivers.

The reason I'm considering wired instead of wireless is because the one reason I wanted wireless in the first place was the troublesome cord. It always got in the way and made it more difficult to move the mouse in some situations. The fabric cord may eliminate this problem, however. Also, with wireless mice, you have to deal with reduced charge capacity over time and possible interference from other items. I actually see an advantage to the g5, with it's weight pack. Not to mention the price; the wireless is considerably more expensive.

So which should I choose? Anyone have anything to add to what I've written above?

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
Get the G5. Its better because you dont have to change batteries all the time. I had the G7 which I purchased at Fry's, and exchanged it for the G5. You can do the same and try it out then return it. It says on the box that the batteries give you 10 hours of continuous play. That is a bunch of bull. I had to change the batteries every freakin day. It gets annoying. I would only use the mouse for like 4 hours then I would have to change the batteries. I dont know what I was thinking when I got the G7. 100 bucks for a mouse damn.

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
I have a G5, I looked at the G7, but after looking at the specs I prefered the G5 because:
1. Dont need to change batteries
2. Cheaper (Though mine was gifted to me by a good friend)
3. Able to change DPI (The lights on the G7 are battery indicators)

The G5s weight pack doesnt really have any effect, but I havent really played with it either

Last edited:

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
SanitysEdge said:
I have a G5, I looked at the G7, but after looking at the specs I prefered the G5 because:
1. Dont need to change batteries
2. Cheaper (Though mine was gifted to me by a good friend)
3. Able to change DPI (The lights on the G7 are battery indicators)

The G5s weight pack doesnt really have any effect, but I havent really played with it either

It too has the Dpi indicator. When you dont move the mouse it goes to the battery indicator(green). When you move the mouse it changes to the Dpi indicator(orange). I too have not played around with the weights.

Mythmon

Nov 24, 2004
Although my opinion won't count for much as I'm a newbie here, I've been using a MX700 mouse for a couple years, and i have had no problem with reaction time, and the batteries in it last for a couple days. Now, its not a laser mouse, and I've heard the the G7 has battery issues if you use it a lot. But if you could live without adjustable DPI I would actually suggests Logitech's MX1000, which is the MX700's big brother, and has a laser plus some other features over the 700. Personally I've had no problems with my mouse, unless i put the receiver too close to the monitor.

If you want the adjustable DPI though, I would go for the G7 if the price doesn't scare you off, its not like switching batteries takes very long, and you have plenty of time as the mouse shows the battery level right on it.

My 2¢

Last edited:

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
Go with the G5 - i switched from wireless to and for several reasons. The Adjustable DPI is pretty handy tbh as is the weight cartridge (I made mine the same weight as my old wireless one for comfort more than anything). Above all, the G5 is cheaper!!!

So summary: G5>G7

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I have an MX518 and it seems to work great. Adjustable DPI in games is nice to be able to dial in the scope or whatever at diffrent rates. Works good on diffrent surfaces where other lazor mouses failed to move right without a mouse pad under it. Been very happy with it, plus it just looks cool too.