1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Live Giant Squid Found!

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by Mister_Prophet, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Here's the link which comes with a movie URL:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/27/japan.squid.ap/index.html

Japanese Scientists followed Sperm whales, natural predators of Giant Squids, in hopes of getting footage of these guys. They got lucky and caught a live, Juvenile Giant Squid (about 8 feet long, we've found dead ones that were nearly twice that) on some bait. A camera recorded the thing for awhile before its snagged tentacle broke off the Squid swam away. The tentacle was brought onto the boat and even though it was dead, it continued to attach itself to the deck and the scientists.

This is cool shiit! I've always been fascinated by these things. The video confirms that they move fast and aggressively too, like I always imagined they did even though alot of scientists were almost sure that they were sluggish.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

I just saw a special on one of the cable channels on squid, they are anything but slow, they are furious hunters, hunting in packs (schools), some of them have like teeth in the suckers too so not only do they hold on with suction but with sharp ass teeth too. Their center beak can easily crush bone. They are truly freaky!! :eek:

3. Rabid Wolf

Rabid Wolf Piano Man Ghost

new menue item for sushi bars?

4. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Invisible Pink Unicorn

Nope , its flesh is saturated with ammonia - too bad , else one can imagine the feast it'd be finding one.

Unreal squids feel all sluggish all of a sudden :p

5. OO7MIKE

OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

Awe man, Now I can't watch another SciFi Channel Giant squid original B movie again with out dying from laughter.

Wait, this changes nothing :)

6. QUALTHWAR

QUALTHWAR Baitshop opening soon.

lol

7. Cat Fuzz

Cat Fuzz Qualthwar's Minion. Ph34r!

I find it interesting that when you buy calamari in the store, the ingredients listed say, "calamari". Almost as if they don't want to tell you that its SQUID!:eek:

8. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Small squids, yes. I even saw a video once where a small squid bite a chunk off a shark's head.

But lots of scientists speculated that Giant Squids were slow and sluggish because of Ammonia or something. The film seems to prove that wrong.

If a small squid can do that to a shark, imagine what the big ones are capable of doing.

9. QUALTHWAR

QUALTHWAR Baitshop opening soon.

Don’t squid have beaks, like a big parrot?

10. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Yeah, real nasty ones too.

11. GMotha

GMotha The nipples from Napels

The biggest one washed ashore was approximately 19 meters (around 57 foot?).

I guess they'll be showing squid-documentary's on the national geographic channel 24/7 now.
    I wonder if these use camouflage too.

12. darth_weasel

darth_weasel I won

Now they just need to find a real live Godzilla, then they can face them off against each other.

I love the Japanese.

13. Nachimir

Nachimir Crony of Stilgar

I at least expected it to wreck some sh*t. It seems so silly that all those B-Movie people came up with ray guns and various others devices to repel monsters, when all they needed to counter a giant squid was an elaborate caltrop.