linux sucks!!! dependency hell!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

arcanex

teh grinning totem
Sep 28, 2001
Well, now that I've got your attention, I could use some help over here.

I'm running a knoppix/debian distro installed on the hard drive for a few months now. I'm getting the hang of it.

But recently I updated my apt repository database thingy (apt-get update), the first time I've done so since I first installed it. Halfway through it crashed, something about out of mmap thing, but googling brought me to a fix (increasing a cache in apt.conf). So I'm back to trying to download some stuff I need to update mplayer, in order to install mplayer-plugin for firefox...

but now, whenever I try to download almost any new package, it asks me to REMOVE a slew of packages that doesn't sound to me like they should be removed... in particular, 'sysvinit' stood out.

Sysvinit! that's, like, required to boot isn't it?

I've since found a package (mozplugger) that I was able to install without having to remove any other packages... but I try some of the libs that I would have to download if I wanted to compile stuff myself and they keep asking me to remove those slew of important and even
'essential' packages.

Did I mess up apt somehow? How can I fix it? I won't be able to keep using linux if I have to put up with this everytime I need a new package...

arcanex

teh grinning totem
Sep 28, 2001
tried 'apt-get -f install' , but it didn't find any broken dependencies.

apt-get still wants to remove sysvinit.

is it possible to let apt-get do what it wants to do...?

draconx

RuneUT
Jun 26, 2002
Waterloo, Canada
if its been months since you last did an update, try doing an "apt-get dist-upgrade" before installing anything new. That will upgrade everything to the latest versions.