Limits on Custom Characters

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Is it just me or does creating custom models for UT3 feel a lot more restrictive than the previous games? Sometimes it's just plain out frustrating. :(

First of all let me just clarify a few things. I'm not really a noob at creating models for UT. I can garb a mesh and have it running around ut2k4 before you can poke a stick at it. For UT3 it's not too difficult now after a couple of months of trial and error.
The problem I have with UT3 is that you have to make your model confirm to almost exactly the UT3 model specs or it will look like crap in-game or simply won't work at all. I realize that UE3 has had some significant changes to since UE2 but when you compare the model creation process between UT2K4 and UT3 UT2K4 feel more free and open to more creative out-of-the-box type of models.

First of all the breaking your model up into parts. This has a main part to play in UT3's player customization system. However it can really be a pain to segment you custom models that way especially if you model is of the non-humanoid variety.

When it comes to rigging, Epic had been nice enough to supply us with the 3 main skeletal riggs used in UT3 to help you get your models in the game and use UT3 animations. This is great great for most humanoid type models even though it restricts your models proportions to that of the UT3 but what do you do with that awesome pikachu model you just finished?
Yup you need to create your own rigg. Now I don't have a problem with doing this all. It's just that UT3 seems to destroy every custom rigg I've thrown at is thus far. For the sake of going something different has anyone seen a custom UT3 model that uses it's own rig? Anywhere?
I'm sure it is possible. It's just that right now it's really hard to get UT3 to play nice with them.

The restriction on laying out UVs in specific regions. Come on. Why do we need to layout our textures this way. For many custom models this leads it's self to a lot of wasted texture space. I may be wrong but we are also limited to 2 2048 x 2048 textures per character. Not that I may need it but it's nice to the option of a third texture or maybe just a 2048 and a 1024.

Oh an custom voice packs! nuff said.

The are a few things that should be fixed in patch 1.3 like custom fractions but I'm not getting my hopes too high this time.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because I truly am grateful to Epic for letting us mess around with their game.
I just wish I could have my cake and eat it too.:D
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Thanks for writing.
Little surprised myself about the slight step backward. Skin city has a decent amount of models for how long it's been out I guess, but it seems like half of them are from two guys and the other half variants/duplicates. It wouldn't frustrate me if there were another game to shift to, but HL2 has gotten a little stale, crytech is fairly new and Oblivion had the same weird step backward from the easier importation process of morrowind.
It'd be easy to blame the shift of focus towards consoles but... ...well yes, that's exactly what I'd do because I don't want to really believe the industry will white-out user created content in preference of official microtransactions.

I still try anyway though. Luckily the engine is efficient enough to do things like waste texture space, so we should still see some decent work here and there.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
It's just a negative side effect of increased complexity of various game elements, it's not Epic's fault.
For example it's much easier to create a custom character in Duke3D than it was in UT.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
"Increased complexity of various game elements" justifies having to make a million poly version of your character for normal maps, which is fun, or having to make more animations for a new rig, which is tiresome but still understandable. What xerowolf mentions is just plain weird. Sectioning off body parts is something that should have disappeared in 2001.
There's a 90 page thread at the epic forums where people have worked through or around most of this stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that it took 90 pages to get there.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
It's the price we pay for advancement I guess. All the while making it harder for the average joe to get into modding. I though the whole point of advancement was to make things easier and better?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
It's the price we pay for advancement I guess. All the while making it harder for the average joe to get into modding. I though the whole point of advancement was to make things easier and better?

That hasen't been true for gaming for quite a while now, for a very long time they have been trying to sell their games on the "look! our graphics look better than the competition!" factor, and it has spiraled out of control to be honest, and other parts of game development has suffered, or atleast has not seen needed advancement to keep up with the graphics.

Personally i'd say we are now at a level of graphical prowess where they can stop this arms race, and start focusing on making other parts of game development catch up to the graphics, infact, i think they must or games will suffer greatly, i really think the tech needs to balance out for now, get refined and optimized instead of moving on and creating even more things for developers to learn and worry about.

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
It's a serious disappointment, that's all I can say.

Yes agreed.

Maybe in time we'll see more variation. I can only extend the life of the game IMO.

I still enjoy the eye candy of UT -all of them.

Vividly recall the opening castle flyby in Unreal.

I do wonder what it looks like today? {Considers loading it up}

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
Big thanks Caravaggio for that link :D

The lightning and those shiny floors I remember so well.

...but it sounds different to what I remember too :tinfoil3: