LIMITING THE NUMBER OF 40mm GRENADES IS UNREALISTIC!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
There was one firearms level i played when i was trying it out and in it you jumped out of a plane a chuted into the combat zone. really cool stuff. If HL can do it, UT should be able to do it to i'd think. I had an idea for an assault level where you'd jump out of a chinhook hellicopter onto a nazi zepplin (like the one from indy and the last crusade) and the object is to blow it up (but still escape to the hellicopter). but reality then set in and i remembered i dont have any 3D design skills. but i can aways day dream. *pop*

Hannibal1

Forever sig-less
Jun 14, 2000
Visit site
have patience, my brothers

When the U2 engine comes around and we start having more open maps with nice hills that do a good job of throwing off depth perception grenade launchers will be balanced out by the maps themselves and will in fact need more ammunition to be effective. Accurate fire with a grenade launcher happens to be rather difficult when you have to deal with range oven open terrain. Right now people have all sorts of walls and buldings to aim their grenade at, making splattering enemies using just one grenade fairly simple. However, working on flat ground(hills can make aiming even more difficult), most times the first shot from a grenade launcher will miss, even if the user is highly skilled(if you've ever played Operation Flashpoint, you've encountered problems like this. if you haven't played ofp, you should), making the launchers less deadly(though people will still be annoyed at being killed) and require the use of more rounds per kill.

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
Back to the topic at hand, why not just restrict the additional weapons that can be carried with the HK69 with the addition of each round. Let's not forget that bulk does not necessarily have to mean weight, but, also size.

Basic weapon interaction rules should balance the loadouts without getting too complex.

One way this could be accomplished if you wanted to play as a grenadier for the round would be to include a bandolier in the loadout that would restrict the use of other weapons, either through code or being prohibitively expensive. The player could have access to two 10 round bandoliers and he/she/it would be restricted to carrying only pistols with a few mags of ammo.

The M203, on the other hand could be restricted to one 10 round bandolier and two mags of ammo for the M16A2 with only a pistol and two mags as backup.

To prevent too many players from playing the role of squad grenadier, a server side setting could force a new loadout for any players over a predetermined cap based on the number of players on each squad.

Any bulk <i>price</i> payed by the player's stamina should be alleviated with every round they volley. In other words, it should be easier for them to move around with the loss of bulk when they fire.

EDIT: Oopsie...I meant HK69 :)

Last edited:

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
I say go for realistic # of rounds, but keep your equipment throughout the matches. ie, you start the map with 10 40mm rounds.. If you really want to be a grenadier, then you'll have to limit yourself to approximately 2 per round (there's usually 5-ish rounds per map). Sound good?

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
Re: Yeah....

Originally posted by jaymian
but with 3 damn rounds, I'll never use it. May as well just take it out.

Why not? I see you... now I dont... BOOM you're dead:)

even though a certain Colinin thinks it's "no skill" to do that, I enjoy it a lot :p

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
Ugh, I'm gonna make a simple TDM map one of these days.. Inspired by Half-Life's Firearms' ps_desertcrisis... Only more sand dunes and much bigger... That'll even the playing field right there. Hehe. It sounds pretty easy to make too...

... Anyway, that'll give the HK69 whores a chance to proove if they can really handle that weapon.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
LIMITING THE NUMBER OF 40mm GRENADES IS UNREALISTIC!!!

TYPING IN ALL CAPS FOR THE SAKE OF TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS ANNOYING!!!
---------------------------

Ahem, anyway, limiting the number of 40mm grenades is unrealistic, but on the same note the 40mm grenads themselves are unrealistic.
Therefore, following the logical train of thought that the limit should be removed because it is unrealistic, then the HK69 and M203 should be removed (and ACOG) also because they are also unrealistic.

poaw

Mar 25, 2001
Well, that shouldn't say ACOGs, it should say scopes.

1) They don't blur during sudden movements allowing very rapid target acqusation.

2) They seem to magically desensitive the user's input allowing machine like adjustments to be made.

3) You can run at full sprint while looking through them firing full auto.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Tru dat.

And even if (IRL) for some bizarre reason you tried to use the ACOG to aim the 203, only at the minimal ranges will you be able shoot. Otherwise you're looking into wild blue yonder.

poaw

Mar 25, 2001
Oh ok, I thought you meant the ACOG's themselves were unrealistic. You mean the way they're used.

I did mean ACOGs within themselves were unrealistic. Go into your local sporting goods store and ask for a scope that doesn't get blurly when moved around suddenly and increases the stability of the rifle when looking through it.